PC Notifications

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I used to get email notifications whenever I received a PM/PC. I'm no longer getting said notifications. I haven't messed with any settings, and I can't seem to find an option to allow email notifications. Did something change, or am I just blind?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I would say no because when I received a notification earlier today when someone sent me a message.

Go here: http://emtlife.com/account/contact-details
Under Messaging Preferences make sure you have the third box ticked, for Receive email when a new conversation message is received

Let me know if it was already ticked or not so I can look into it further.

OP
OP
STXmedic

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Well I couldn't find that earlier, but it was already checked. I double-checked my inbox to see if it had been sending them to my spam folder- no luck.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
If I can add onto this, I am receiving the email alerts as previous but the messages have no content (as of yesterday). They just say XXX have responded to XXX thread that you are watching. It doesn't have the content of the post present, as it did pre-upgrade.

This is what my alerts look like:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 4.25.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 4.25.07 PM.png
    78.9 KB · Views: 9

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
If I can add onto this, I am receiving the email alerts as previous but the messages have no content (as of yesterday). They just say XXX have responded to XXX thread that you are watching. It doesn't have the content of the post present, as it did pre-upgrade.
That was actually intentional.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Hey,

I apologize for the email issues, I meant to address them but wasn't entirely sure of a solution. I updated our settings and you should consistently receive EMTLife emails. Let me know if you're still having issues.

That's a a new feature that came with the upgrade. I agree, most don't find it an actual upgrade. It's a matter of balancing the convenience of being to read the message in your email with my desire for you to visit the site.

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
That was actually intentional.

Ugh, you broke something then. Removing functionality is not a good idea, and this is the first change you’ve made that I don’t like. What are you trying to do, bump up the number of ad impressions on the site? But don’t registered members not see ads? I just don’t see what you’re trying to gain by sending out reminder emails about new content, but without any content.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Ugh, you broke something then. Removing functionality is not a good idea, and this is the first change you’ve made that I don’t like. What are you trying to do, bump up the number of ad impressions on the site? But don’t registered members not see ads? I just don’t see what you’re trying to gain by sending out reminder emails about new content, but without any content.
I don't have any issues with it. With the old system I would just see the update info and then come on here to view the information. The only time I receive the email alerts are to things that I am most likely going to respond to.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

Nothing wrong with what they did. They want you to come to the site to view content. If you're not on the site you're somewhere else where they can't pull any ad-revenue to help cover server costs etc.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Ugh, you broke something then. Removing functionality is not a good idea, and this is the first change you’ve made that I don’t like.

If that's the first we did that you didn't like, then I think we're doing a pretty good job. :)

What are you trying to do, bump up the number of ad impressions on the site? But don’t registered members not see ads? I just don’t see what you’re trying to gain by sending out reminder emails about new content, but without any content.

You're exactly right. We do not earn any revenue from members visiting the site, so that point is moot. Matt said it well:

That's a a new feature that came with the upgrade. I agree, most don't find it an actual upgrade. It's a matter of balancing the convenience of being to read the message in your email with my desire for you to visit the site.

We're trying to find the right balance of keeping you informed and hoping that you'll return, see what was said and stick around for a bit and post.

And I apologize that I didn't explain it earlier. I meant to, but something else caught my attention while I was writing. I was going to come back and edit the post, but then I saw something shiny and...

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
Ok, well, I’ll disable the notifications then. I used the reply to gauge if it’s worth me taking the time right then to come back to the site, or to just wait until my next visit when I’ve planned to send 15-30 minutes reading new threads. Your site, your rules, that’s fine.

An idea: a paid member could get replies with text? That might be a benefit that would be worth me passing along some cash for a membership.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
An idea: a paid member could get replies with text? That might be a benefit that would be worth me passing along some cash for a membership.
We'll look into that. Thanks for the suggestion.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Ok, well, I’ll disable the notifications then. I used the reply to gauge if it’s worth me taking the time right then to come back to the site, or to just wait until my next visit when I’ve planned to send 15-30 minutes reading new threads. Your site, your rules, that’s fine.

Honestly, is it really too much trouble for you to click the link on your phone to open up the page to check the site?

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
Honestly, is it really too much trouble for you to click the link on your phone to open up the page to check the site?
Yes, it is. It’s called "Time management," and reading this site can easily turn into a Facebook-like time sink (although this site is infinitely more useful than Facebook). So by reading the blurb in my email, I can see instantly if the reply is something I should reply to immediately, or if it’s something that can be ignored until later. So, now I’ll just do it later all the time.

Reactions: Jon

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
If that's an issue than I think we should find some time management courses.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
@planetmike I understand where you're coming from and I agree with you that it's just easier seeing the message in your email.

As owner of EMTLife I want you to visit the site often, and it's a matter of balancing my desire for a thriving community with the convenience of receiving PC notification texts in email. It's not about money, registered members don't see ads.

Let me see if there are any other options or even if it can be a user-selectable feature.