Passed the NREMT Exam. Now what?

Wambulance

Forum Probie
Hi, I'm new here; just received my national certification. I currently volunteer for my local Fast Squad in rural Vermont. I'm primarily a teacher, but found my way to EMS work via my role as an outdoor/wilderness trip leader and program director. So EMS is not my career, but I'm very serious about improving my skills and keeping current.

I'm really happy to have passed the test, but I don't feel particularly competent on account of not having much hands-on experience; the Fast Squad's call volume is sporadic. I have a lot of free time this summer and would like to get as much training and experience as I can.

So my question is: What to do now? Should I:

1. Volunteer or ride along with a local ambulance service? (Is that a thing I can do? I'm worried about being in the way/causing more work for the crew).

2. Get any specific additional training? EVOC, I imagine, would be especially useful. How do I find those opportunities?

3. Something else?

Thank you very much for any feedback or guidance.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I guess the easy answer is, what do you want to do?

You can volunteer with your local ambulance if you so choose, or continue being active with your local FAST squad (First Aid Stabilization Team for those who didn't know). I don't really know what a FAST squad does (I'm assuming it acts as a first responder, similar to many career fire departments, but without the fire department responsibilities), but it's really up to you. Your next step all depends on what you want to do.

Being in rural Vermont likely means you won't get many patient contacts; if you want more experience, you need to go somewhere that offers you more patient contacts. You can see if your local ambulance service accepts volunteers or part time employees, but you might need to drive a little bit, depending on how rural your area is.

Everyone started somewhere, without knowing what to do. We all made mistakes in our younger years. The better providers learn from their mistakes, and you should have a good FTO who will assist you in the process. The first step will be filling out the application to whatever you want to do.

OP
OP
W

Wambulance

Forum Probie
Thanks!
I would like to become competent enough to actually work for an ambulance service and maybe do some ski patrol work.
I just didn't know whether volunteering for a crew was something that was done; as I said, I don't want to be a burden or in the way; I will start reaching out.

Thanks again!