Passed. Now an EMT-b

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
Title says it all! Thanks all here for the help and questions answered

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
Congrats! Im taking the accelerated prgoram thru NSLIJ this summer. How was the exam? And how was the class, too? :)

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Title says it all! Thanks all here for the help and questions answered
Congrats and welcome to the dark side. Help yourself to some cookies.

How was the exam? And how was the class, too?

Ridiculously easy on both accounts. Seriously, I took it before I was out of high school and graduated first in my class. It's not very difficult for anyone who isn't borderline MMR.

OP
OP
T

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant

Thanks and yum.

Ridiculously easy on both accounts. Seriously, I took it before I was out of high school and graduated first in my class. It's not very difficult for anyone who isn't borderline MMR.

Agreed. I took this class two nights per week at four hours per class, in between running calls as a volunteer observer/third person and a full-time job, and pulled off a nice "A" with not much studying.

I am, however, going to keep my EMT-b book and purchase the Workbook that accompanies it so that I can improve upon my -b foundation. PHTLS class coming up, W-EMT coming up, MEDIC coming up.... very pleased.

EMT-b taught me, above all else, how much their is to know about pre-hospital care and how little of that I currently know. I've developed a real taste for this stuff.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Welcome to the over crowded EMS world. :)
Stick with getting more education.

Trauma Chaser

Forum Probie
Good job man. Don't expect the paramedic part to be so easy. Its kind of overkill on the amount they teach you. Half of it you will never need to know but I guess it does give you a better idea of why certain things happen and how they work.

mct601

RN/NRP

Agreed, its not hard at all. It might be a little more tough for someone who has never really seen such material in their life - I have taken 3 CPR/first aid classes, A&P, and allied health in high school so most of it I had seen at some point. Everyone will grasp it so long they pay attention.

Thanks and yum.

Agreed. I took this class two nights per week at four hours per class, in between running calls as a volunteer observer/third person and a full-time job, and pulled off a nice "A" with not much studying.

I am, however, going to keep my EMT-b book and purchase the Workbook that accompanies it so that I can improve upon my -b foundation. PHTLS class coming up, W-EMT coming up, MEDIC coming up.... very pleased.

EMT-b taught me, above all else, how much their is to know about pre-hospital care and how little of that I currently know. I've developed a real taste for this stuff.

I wish W-EMT was taught down here. Only thing I can find is W-FR in TN.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Good job man. Don't expect the paramedic part to be so easy. Its kind of overkill on the amount they teach you. Half of it you will never need to know but I guess it does give you a better idea of why certain things happen and how they work.

What did you feel was overkill?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

adamjh3

I was wondering the same thing.

I would think healthcare providers would want to know as much about the human body as possible. I'm just a basic looking for work, and I'm absolutely terrified that I can work in the field knowing next to nothing about medicine.

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
I would think healthcare providers would want to know as much about the human body as possible. I'm just a basic looking for work, and I'm absolutely terrified that I can work in the field knowing next to nothing about medicine.

Adamjh3 have you applied everywhere in san diego? And have you recieved any phone calls back or e mails about interviews?

adamjh3

I have not, I'm still waiting for my live scan to go through for my county card. The big three I'm shooting for are Rural/Metro, Americare, or AMR. If I can't get on with any of those within a couple months I will start applying just about everywhere while still trying to get hired at one of those three.

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
I have not, I'm still waiting for my live scan to go through for my county card. The big three I'm shooting for are Rural/Metro, Americare, or AMR. If I can't get on with any of those within a couple months I will start applying just about everywhere while still trying to get hired at one of those three.

Just to be honest with you, you really shouldnt be that picky i mean those are amazing Companies they are, but AMR isnt hiring at all and niether is rural metro or Americare. Trust me i know. Still apply there but apply everywhere else to because your going to want to get in anywhere you can just to get the experiance while your waiting for one of those companies to open up.

adamjh3

Hm, true.

caEMT

Forum Ride Along
I took the NREMT-B (CBT) test today, It seemed almost too easy, they stopped me at 70 questions. Last question being " what age is the youngest that you may use the AED on?" I know the standard answer is 8, but they had an answer of 1 as well so I chose that one cuz I have seen somewhere that you can, in conjunction with the pediatric pad. We will see how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:

caEMT

Forum Ride Along
Should have the results in the next 48 hours... I need to relax and stop thinking about it!

Last edited by a moderator:

caEMT

Forum Ride Along
Thanks man, now comes the hard part... getting registered with the county to get my card and FINDING WORK!