Partner...

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
do you always have the same partner? Or is the scheduling such that you are always with different people?

Which do you prefer?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I'm part time so i am normally with random partners. I would prefer to work with a normal partner and have a random partner every now and then to change things up (if that makes sense).

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Always the same partner. Well, two partners. I greatly prefer it this way. It keeps me from getting stuck with idiots. We also know exactly how we each operate. It makes things much more fluid.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I like to stick with the same partner for the simple fact that we have a "flow" on scene, if that makes any sense. We roll up to a scene and we immediately know who is going to do what. I also like it because we know what we like and the things we hate, it makes for good crew cohesion if I know that Jon or Jane hates for example cheeseburgers, but they know I like them (if this makes any sense at all haha). But I do have to say, it is nice to work with a random person every now and then, it makes things interesting.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
I was part time for years, then full time for a year, then moved and was part time for a while before going full time for a while before school.

After being part time for a while I got to know most everyone so it was kind of nice to work with someone different every day and see people you haven't seen in a while. This was the best time I had at work because I knew everyone and got along well with them all. But working with "strangers" every day is seriously not cool. I prefer the same partner every day, even if it is someone I don't really like because of the comfortable factor.

BlueJayMedic

Interrupting natural selection since 2010
I work part time (full time hours) and am with randoms each shift. Definitely don't mind switching it up, different bases as well so that is nice. Good to switch from busy to slow every now and then. We are able to apply for contracts when they post and can remain with the same partner for a predetermined amount of time which is good if you like the person. Currently doing the contract thing and liking it. I am looking forward to full time so I can have a base and locker to call my own. Low seniority where I am usually means you get a bad partner for a while, pay your dues kind of thing...

dalmain

Forum Crew Member
I really don't care who I work with, but if I'm with someone that doesn't want to be with me, than no. Some people are so picky, I've never seen guys that acted like women so much. Working with someone that you are familiar with is the best, but I like working with random people sometimes to mix it up.

LenaLena26

Forum Probie
I'm part time now but when I was full time I had the same partner for almost a year. I preferred it that way because we figured out how we worked together. It was just easier. We knew what side of the cot is ours, who's pulling during sheet drag. I knew he's good at paperwork so I didn't have to double check his work and vice versa. He knows I hate dealing with trach pts and I know he hates dealing with peds so when we got those calls, we knew who will be in the back and who's driving. Granted, we sometimes argued like an old married couple but him and I went through some heavy calls together so it only made us better partners.

JWalters

Forum Crew Member
I do fire-based 911 and per diem private IFT so I pretty much always have a different partner. 911, it's all good because there aren't a whole lot of us and even those I don't care for as much I can still work with well because we all know how each other operates. the IFT gig, it's a little strange at the beginning of each shift where it is someone new. I would much prefer to have a set partner but I work per diem by choice so it is what it is for now. When I'm done with medic school I'll go full-time and have a set partner (I hope!!) so I'm just doing the best I can like this for now.

Kevinf

Forum Captain

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
My previous employer had permanent partners for full time employees. I actually enjoyed it a lot. Even if you do not like your partner, it is consistency. You know how each other works and your dislike and likes. It makes the shift smoother on a professional level. In my current full time position, we staff three crews during the day, and two at night, plus the supervisor. This method gives us the same people on a platoon, but not necessarily always the same partner. I do not mind this either. I also have a PT gig that has random partners.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Same partner.