Partner Troubles

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
I have been out of EMS for about a year and just started up again in the last few weeks with a new partner who is also a friend. We have been having some minor troubles over the past few weeks like forgetting equipment at the hospital or pt's houses and other minor things. Well I am usually the driver on most of the calls since she is a higher level and takes over for most of them. Well you all know how it goes being the driver and having to get all the equipment, clean up after the call, and all that other stuff. Well my partner is not the neatest person to work with and cleaning up is a chore most of the time on scene and at the hospital after the call. Well just wondering others opinions on this? I feel as though I am getting the blame for most of the screw ups but I can't remember everything. These things are just as much my fault as hers or am I wrong.. What would you guys do to talk to your partner who is pretty difficult and bossy?
Just this post was really to vent bc I am a little ticked tonite...
Thanks for listening

kyleybug

Forum Crew Member
TKO....... Key word on this is PARTNER. That is what makes the whole thing work. She should be reminded that you are not her worker Bee you are her partner. We have a strong bond at our service when it comes to being partners, it doesn't matter if it is for the day or permanent, we become a married couple at the begining of our shift and are until the end of it. We look out for eachother and take care of things together. If you don't have that kind of respect for eachother then the "scew ups" will happen. You both should be responsible for taking care of the mess and equipment. We always stop and load scene equipment onto the cot before we load the truck if time permits otherwise PD gathers it for us, we are a small community and they don't mind. As for the clean up we either clean the truck before we leave the ER or as soon as we get back to the station as it's only 1 mile from the ER. We do it together not just the driver, the same goes for the end of the shift when the truck gets washed, you have to work together, if one feels like they are getting the short end of the stick then it will build up and spill over into calls and stop the union in pt. care from going smoothly, as far as being "bossy" you need to check that attitude from the start, just because she has a little more qualifications doesn't mean she gets to tell you what to do, she is still your partner not your boss and maybe you should remind her of that, I have done the same thing with a Medic that turned into a complete *** as soon as we had a pt. after the call he acted like nothing had ever happened and we were best friends, I checked that *** and we no longer work together at all. You have to stand up for yourself, I know this is also a friend and that makes it harder but it also makes it all the more wrong for her to be doing this to you. I wish you luck and hope that this works out for you, just be honest and open and tell her the situation and how this has been making you feel, if she is your freind then she will straighten up if not then request another partner. :)

OP
OP
T

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
Well the situation is a little harder doing than saying. We have policies set in place that designates how long we get to clean, where we clean, and how we clean. Its a little ridiculous sometimes I know. And I will be talking with her about the attitude ....which is long overdo from many other partners who havent.
Thanks

kyleybug

Forum Crew Member
You must be with one of those services I have heard about. Ours is very relaxed and I am very thankful for it. I have heard some places even make you keep your boots on for the whole 24hr shift, we walk around in our slippers or socks whenever we are in. I wish you all the luck in the world with the talk, I hope for your sake that it helps, maybe it will shed some light on the fact that you need more help in the clean up department too! I have found in this life that things are better handled right away before too much anger builds, but then again I am the type that takes alot and I let a lot of things roll off of my back that shouldn't so if I get mad then I usually have a real reason and have no choice but to let it be known, i don't ***** too often though life is just too short and unfortunately in our line of work we get reminded of that everyday.

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
TKO;

I am sorry you have to put up with that. Any of us that have been in EMS for a while have ended up with difficult partners. Believe me, I have been there.

Remember, you will catch more flies with honey than crap. Approach her ASAP! Be nice but firm. Explain - if you are going to work together than there needs to be a clarification of duties. Tell her that you are willing to share the load, not handle all of it. Being ALS does not make you special, or immune to helping out. There is no "I" in team. Also tell her that if she is not going to get something on scene picked up or carried, she needs to tell you. You are not a psychic, and she shouldn't treat you as such. If all else fails, make it clear that you will take it above her head if the crap doesn't stop. I know that is a hard thing to do - but sometimes there are no choices.

Make sure that you have documentation - names, dates, times - so the supervisors know you are serious.

Take Care,

P.S. If all else fails, send her to me - I can promise I have done this a lot longer than her, and I am also a female (a neat one at that). I don't appreciate providers with big heads if you know what I mean!!

kyleybug

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by Margaritaville@Nov 19 2004, 07:29 PM

P.S. If all else fails, send her to me - I can promise I have done this a lot longer than her, and I am also a female (a neat one at that). I don't appreciate providers with big heads if you know what I mean!!
Margaritaville...... I like Your Style :D I think you would have her whooped into shape in no time at all ;)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I am the guy that always forgets the equipment.
I leave the O2 tank on scene.
I drive 45 minutes and realize I have the Pt's discharge papers and prescriptions on my clipboard.
I leave the NC on the pt's nose as I pull them out of the ambulance.
I lose my pen, my backup pen, and my backup backup pen when working an emergency.

I see this as part of EMS. I've made many mistakes with many different partners. I've worked with Paramedic and Basics, I've worked with supervisors and regular partners. I've never been given a hard time.

I'm not an amazing person, I don't have some smile that charms the ladies, and I make lots of mistakes. I do apologize about ten times.

After I left the O2 tank on scene, I now always check.
I now always check to make sure I don't have any of the pt's paperwork
I rarely forget to check to make sure the NC is detached
I now carry more pens then anyone could ever use, and never lend out my last one. I still always seem to have to borrow one.

The reality is, people make mistakes, and I make more than most. I think my partners, while they may be pissed, recognize stuff like this happens a LOT of EMS, and realize that I sincerely am working towards being more on top of my game.

This is going to sound really straight forward and stupid, but I really think it might be helpful. You should tell your partner how you feel about this, how you really only want to be the best medic you can be, and you value teamwork. Ask her for her feedback on how you can become a better medic, and then point out a few things you feel would make your relationship / team stronger.

I really wish you the best of luck, and let us know how it goes :)

OP
OP
T

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
Well I asked her what we can do to correct these mistakes. She said there is really nothing.... it is just attention to detail which I agreed on. I told her that we will always learn from our mistakes and next time we won't make them. I said we have to work as a team and develop better communication and trust.
Thanks for all your input.

DonQ

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by MMiz@Nov 20 2004, 12:21 AM
I am the guy that always forgets the equipment.
I leave the O2 tank on scene.
I drive 45 minutes and realize I have the Pt's discharge papers and prescriptions on my clipboard.
I leave the NC on the pt's nose as I pull them out of the ambulance.
I lose my pen, my backup pen, and my backup backup pen when working an emergency.

I see this as part of EMS. I've made many mistakes with many different partners. I've worked with Paramedic and Basics, I've worked with supervisors and regular partners. I've never been given a hard time.

I'm not an amazing person, I don't have some smile that charms the ladies, and I make lots of mistakes. I do apologize about ten times.

After I left the O2 tank on scene, I now always check.
I now always check to make sure I don't have any of the pt's paperwork
I rarely forget to check to make sure the NC is detached
I now carry more pens then anyone could ever use, and never lend out my last one. I still always seem to have to borrow one.

The reality is, people make mistakes, and I make more than most. I think my partners, while they may be pissed, recognize stuff like this happens a LOT of EMS, and realize that I sincerely am working towards being more on top of my game.

This is going to sound really straight forward and stupid, but I really think it might be helpful. You should tell your partner how you feel about this, how you really only want to be the best medic you can be, and you value teamwork. Ask her for her feedback on how you can become a better medic, and then point out a few things you feel would make your relationship / team stronger.

I really wish you the best of luck, and let us know how it goes :)
Aww, MMiz, I'm sure you're not that bad. I'd love to partner with ya :D

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus

Or, you could keep a small supply of skipping stones with you, and when she pisses you off, nonchalontly chuck one at her. Just be careful not to cross the fine line between intimidator and EDP. :D