Paramedics in Tennessee

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
So, I know it's probably a little early in the year to be thinking about where I want to go after I finish school, but I can't help myself. I really would like to move to Tennessee for a few years after college and just had some questions about it.

First of all, how is the job market for paramedics in Tennessee, is it absolutely saturated?

Second, does Tennessee require an Associates degree like Oregon does to become a paramedic?

Finally, what are some good agencies to work for in Tennessee?

Thanks in advance, and any other comments are appreciated :)

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I can answer question two for you. Tennessee has schools that award both certificates and degrees for paramedics, so no, you don't need an associates degree in Tennessee.

OP
OP
fast65

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I can answer question two for you. Tennessee has schools that award both certificates and degrees for paramedics, so no, you don't need an associates degree in Tennessee.

Cool, thanks. I'm not too worried about that aspect of things since I'll have a degree, but I was just kind of curious.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I moved to TN from NY in '06, got reciprocity for my medic cert pretty easily, and went to work part time at Opryland. I've had lots of opportunities to work at other agencies, but I've turned them down because I'm semi-retired.

The cost of living is pretty low, relative to the rest of the country, but so are the wages. A few years ago I would have said something about mild winters, but we seem to be going through a few years of northern-style Nov-Feb temps.

Overall, my wife and I like it a lot -- nice people, cheap real estate, good food, great music.

OP
OP
fast65

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
@mgr: Yeah, the winters aren't a huge concern for me, low temps and lots of snow have never really bothered me lol.

What do you guys think about the Memphis area?

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
@mgr: Yeah, the winters aren't a huge concern for me, low temps and lots of snow have never really bothered me lol.

What do you guys think about the Memphis area?

I spoke with one of the MFD officers at September's Expo in Dallas. At the time, there were no openings for paramedics.

I've only driven through Memphis. Others would be better qualified to comment on it.

EMTSTUDENT25

Forum Lieutenant
You might be a little more "marketable" since your a medic, basics are a dime a dozen right now. Nashville Fire is in the middle of a huge hiring process as we speak, but the deadline has passed, as they are in the interviewing step now with over 1000 candidates.