Paramedic training

TXMEDIC5317

Forum Crew Member
Does anyone know of a paramedic class in/around Houston, TX?
I don't want to go to a college. Anyone been to the TEEX training?
There is an 18 week class with TEEX starting Jan 2011.
3 nights a week, 4hrs a night. Tell me what you think about the class.

medic417

The Truth Provider
TEEX used to have a high pass rate on NR. Reputation is they teach the test rather than teaching you to be a great Paramedic. Most places would still hire you if you go there. They also used to offer a 10 week class if you are in a bigger hurry.

AlphaButch

Forum Lieutenant
They aren't accredited by CAAHEP or CoAEMSP.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief

Is this short class 18 weeks for paramedic and not EMT. TXmedic you should go to a college. In my opinion 18 weeks is too short a time to get a good paramedic education. It still amazes e on what little education there is required in the USA to be a paramedic.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Is this short class 18 weeks for paramedic and not EMT. TXmedic you should go to a college. In my opinion 18 weeks is too short a time to get a good paramedic education. It still amazes e on what little education there is required in the USA to be a paramedic.

It is for Paramedic and the requirement is that you are already an emt basic. They used to do a 10 week and they still might I'm to lazy to look it up. They are working on accreditation and will be by the time it is required. The accreditation process is a joke and honestly means nothing. These short course would not be a problem if it was just for RN's cross training or for higher level military medics, not just the grunts that are taught to start an IV.

But as much as we complain about them they did have a high pass rate on NR. So more proof passing NR means nothing.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
It is for Paramedic and the requirement is that you are already an emt basic. They used to do a 10 week and they still might I'm to lazy to look it up. They are working on accreditation and will be by the time it is required. The accreditation process is a joke and honestly means nothing. These short course would not be a problem if it was just for RN's cross training or for higher level military medics, not just the grunts that are taught to start an IV.

But as much as we complain about them they did have a high pass rate on NR. So more proof passing NR means nothing.

Can I get an Amen? :D

You are Brown's new best friend, although you are preaching to the converted.

8jimi8

CFRN

Why such a rush? You really think you could deliver a baby, or do a differential diagnosis on an unknown medical... or hell even know what to do in a mass casualty incident after only 4 months of night classes?

If you are that good, you should just go to an accelerated medical school and be a Helicopter DOCTOR!

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
If you are that good, you should just go to an accelerated medical school and be a Helicopter DOCTOR!

Stop stealing Brown's thoughts they are mine, mine, mine you can't have them! :D

Also, most HEMS outfits are too cheap to use a Doctor in the US except for one or two I know of.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP

Holy $.hit are you kidding me?
Why don't you just become a delivery driver or garbage man?

:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Holy $.hit are you kidding me?
Why don't you just become a delivery driver or garbage man?

:rolleyes:

Garbage man pays more.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Exactly! They prob have better benefits also.
Maybe we can save some patients and help EMS progress a little by having garbage man recruitment drives or something. Garbage men get to wear patches also and reflective uniforms!

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Exactly! They prob have better benefits also.
Maybe we can save some patients and help EMS progress a little by having garbage man recruitment drives or something. Garbage men get to wear patches also and reflective uniforms!

Can they wear reflective orange jumpsuits that say, "Garbage man" on the back?

Rob would like this. :p

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
Two part response/question.

So if a program is CAAHEP or CoAEMSP accredited, you should be good to go? Meaning these are solid accreditations to have along with being endorsed/recognized by your State/NREMT?

I might have the opportunity to start at a private Univ. here in CA in the middle of October. It's a part-time two day a week program (for didactic) that will take approx. 12 months to complete. I know it's a legit place, all of the Paramedic instructors have been in the field a long time, and they all have worked for large reputable companies in all divisions including air. So that's not really an issue.

I've only been working approx. 3 months at my company, but I'm not asking them to sponsor me, I'm asking them to just work with me on my scheduling, I'll pay for it myself (since it's not that expensive). I just hope going into Medic school this soon being back in EMS is the right thing to do. I'm definitely driven and motivated though. I really want this. I just don't want to hear coworkers etc tell me how I'm not ready for it.