Paramedic to RN Debate; an insight

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic493

Forum Probie
There has been a long, and brutal debate between people who view paramedics and RN's to be duly qualified to perform each other's occupations. I see the concerns from both parties, but I want to provide an insight into the understated elements of an Rn, or paramedic embarking into the other's field of work.

First off, neither RN or paramedic should ever be able to assume one another's job without specific training in the field. A paramedic will be missing too much in depth pathophysiology, and pharmacology. A nurse would be missing too much ems operational knowledge, and too many emergency-specific procedures. A paramedic is not trained in perineal care, or med-surgical skills. A nurse is not typically trained in pericardiocentesis, RSI, or emergency response.

Nonetheless, both parties can be valuable players in transitioning into the either field. A nurse can become a Pre-hospital nurse, and operate at the paramedic level in Pennsylvania by:
-taking the NREMT-P practical, written for paramedic, and becoming certified as an EMT-B.
-In NJ, a RN can become a Mobile intensive care nurse by becoming an EMT-B, and accepting a paramedic program field internship in which one learns intubations, and other ALS procedures.
-In the PA model, it is not feasible for one to become a PHRN without taking a multiple month skill practice course, and doing field internship. (Unless one is already an NREMT-P, and a nurse)

A paramedic can become a RN by taking a paramedic to rn bridge course. These community college-based programs allow a paramedic who fulfills nursing pre-requisites of nursing, like having completed microbiology and anatomy to shave off up to a year of a 2 year associate rn program.

When we have the discussion if both professions are equivalent, the answer is no.
-But we cannot deny that there are many overlapping skills, and responsibilities.
-The existence of viable transition programs speaks for itself. People need to realize that the professions are not antagonistic, and can be educationally symbiotic for interested students.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
This isn't a debate, it's a pi****g contest. Any "skill" is a monkey skill (I hate that term, btw). From taking out an appendix to intubation. It's the discretion part that gets people into trouble.

Anyone that thinks that something like a pre- hospital pericardiocentesis is ultimately more beneficial to patients across the economy of patient care than putting in a Foley is naïve. And receiving training hardly means "qualified". Do about 200 and we can talk.

Energy better spent on doing a better job...Apples and oranges...so silly.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
This isn't a debate. Energy better spent on doing a better job...Apples and oranges...so silly.
Amen, tank....AAAAA-MEN!

OP
OP
M

medic493

Forum Probie
It is indeed a pissing contest, but let's not detract from the idea that the education, and skills learned by both professions can more easily carryover than let's say an accountant who decides to become a chef. This would be a very extreme example, but it is clear that both nurses and paramedic have similar skills that can be compatible for switching, or working in both fields.

But please, elaborate on your "energy better spent...etc". I'm not sure what you are referring to in your comment.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
This is the same jack wagon who posted all the "I'm going to change the world through health and safety culture" stuff. Just a troll. Don't waste your time.

OP
OP
M

medic493

Forum Probie
This is the same jack wagon who posted all the "I'm going to change the world through health and safety culture" stuff. Just a troll. Don't waste your time.

you know what screw off. My program that I helped establish in my department has really improved the lives of several members. I am a part of a volunteer organization full of very hard working people, who appreciate my help. You don't know me, so stop harassing me.

Save your holier than thou attitude when you go to church to make confession.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Energy better spent on doing a better job...Apples and oranges...so silly.
But please, elaborate on your "energy better spent...etc". I'm not sure what you are referring to in your comment.
I took his remark as they're two completely different disciplines with the exceptions being emergency, and ICU-nursing respectively.

Time and energy is often better spent not focusing on the skill sets themselves, or what sets the disciplines apart, but rather just that: doing your job (paramedic or RN)...well.

And, it's hardly a pissing contest between my flight nurse and I, or even my wife (also a nurse) and I, cheers:).

OP
OP
M

medic493

Forum Probie
thanks for the response VentMonkey. There is a lot of respect between nurses, and medics in the world. However, if you read other forums, there is a lot of negative attitude about the idea of nurses venturing into medic territory, or a medic going into nursing. That attitude is what I picked up on, and motivated me to make this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.