Paramedic School

LFDx221

Forum Ride Along
I started my paramedic program back in May. So far, I haven't had any problems with it as far as academics go. I had a general idea of what I was getting into by listening to my friends who had taken it, but I didn't quite comprehend the magnitude of the class until our pharmacology block. I'm having to do A&P and EMS 202 with the class until the end of the summer semester.

So my question is this, what advice can you guys give me in regards to study tips, long term memory retention, and test taking skills (mainly the National Registry test, but class tests as well)?

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
a search for the three hundred other threads on this topic is totally out of the question.

OP
OP
L

LFDx221

Forum Ride Along

Thank you for that awe-inspiring if not incredible demonstration of mental agility and sagacity on your part, KEVD18. For your next feat, why don't you devine the answer to who is buried in Grant's Tomb? I noticed your similar post in another thread (not entirely related to this one, by the way).

Last edited by a moderator:

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
Thank you for that awe-inspiring if not incredible demonstration of mental agility and sagacity on your part, KEVD18. For your next feat, why don't you devine the answer to who is buried in Grant's Tomb? I noticed your similar post in another thread (not entirely related to this one, by the way). So insead of being a smart ***, I submit that we continue to keep the posts here friendly and avoid knuckle-dragging remarks such as yours. Do you think you can comply?

doubtful, but i'll give it minimal(if any) effort just for you.

here's a thought for you. since your question was so blatantly ordinary and typical, try and see if its already been answered instead of wasting your time in writing a new thread, my time reading it, as well as the mod's time in moderating it(of which I'm sure there will be some) not to mention the server space.

as i have said before, there is a phenomenal amount of knowledge in the brains of this membership. but the more times we have to answer the same question, the less informative the answers get. however, if you were to thumb through the archives, you would get hundred of "how to study drugs" "how to learn ekg's" etc type posts. you'll get better answers, i wont have to read meaningless re-posts. its better for everybody.

next, you'll be telling R/r not to chastise people for their grammar/spelling. i doubt you'll get a better response, although it will undoubtedly be more eloquent.

(credit to wikipedia):
General Grant National Memorial (as designated by the U.S. National Park Service), better known as Grant's Tomb, is a mausoleum containing the bodies of Ulysses S. Grant (1822–1885), an American Civil War General and the 18th President of the United States, and his wife, Julia Dent Grant (1826–1902). The tomb complex is a United States Presidential Memorial in the Morning side Heights neighborhood of Manhattan in New York City. The structure is situated in a prominent location in Riverside Park overlooking the Hudson River.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
LFD... there have been several threads on this topic recently.. mostly under the NREMT sub-forum... but if anyone feels like submitting advice - feel free, but BE NICE!
signadmin1.gif

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
First of all, learn to behave and to be able to play well with others. Form study groups for retention and more in-depth study. Most medics have lousy study habits.. If I was to ask you how many hours per-day, and how many of those are uninterrupted with minimal breaks ... What would your answer be.. 2, 4, 6, 8 hrs ?

Also pre-outline your chapter and work ahead. Example of completing A & P objectives before your class starts on it. Having everything outlined and noted pre-done. Become really organized in your study and have serious habits. Yes, take out time to have fun & relax but it should be specific.

Have you discussed this with your instructor yet? Chances are you have not. You are more willing to discuss it with strangers. Something students have in common. When if they had informed the instructor at the first sign of trouble, they can offer tutoring, outside sources,(web sites) etc. to help you, as well not to overload you. Talk with them ASAP.

I have been teaching academic Paramedicine for over 28 years now. There are no "short cuts" or an "easy way". Even if there was I would not tell anyone. Pharmacology alike everything that is taught is too important to skip anything.

Good luck, welcome to the site.. but remove the chip.

R/r 911

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Example of completing A & P objectives before your class starts on it. Having everything outlined and noted pre-done. Become really organized in your study and have serious habits. Yes, take out time to have fun & relax but it should be specific.
good sound advice. tis a shame that most places don't require you to take A&P before medic school. any rate here goes for retention. do a search on memory on google in short term. you will clearly see what the mind's hippocampus is able to do before you drift off to bed. The hippocampus is like the sorting room at the post office divvying up all the bits and pieces of your day and filing them in their appropriate places. when you don;t get enough REM sleep the process gets expedited and the "mail gets lost". so short spurts and read the book until you can "dumb" it down enough to explain what you just learned to a child. this is what i do and it helps me remember close to everything that i read. try and space it out...and don't put 10 pounds of poo in a 5 pound sack or else the side will give out and you will have hardly anything left the next day...putting more work on yourself.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
The school I will be going to required A&P I as a pre-req.

I am taking my EMT-B class with A&P I

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
Fortunately here in SC to become a medic or to even be allowed to sit for the NREMT test you must have A&P as part of your paramedic training. Now where or not what is taught in the class is adsorbed by the students is a different issue...some learn what they are taught and become better providers, others don't learn a thing and as such the are mediocre providers.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Fortunately here in SC to become a medic or to even be allowed to sit for the NREMT test you must have A&P as part of your paramedic training. Now where or not what is taught in the class is adsorbed by the students is a different issue...some learn what they are taught and become better providers, others don't learn a thing and as such the are mediocre providers.

All Paramedic courses require anatomy & physiology, how much and who teaches it is the difference.

I am totally against a A & P placed withing a Paramedic program, especially taught by Paramedics unless they have a graduate level and preferred Doctorate as an anatomist or major emphasis in physiology/kinesiology. As well, I prefer that the courses be separated so more emphasis can be placed upon them, followed by laboratory time. Laboratory time is much more than examining a skeleton. Emphasis and detailed cellular level such as in circulatory, microscope time, dissection (preferred cadaver studies) so one has a hands on approach.

I do chuckle when I hear non-academic medics describe "how hard or it was the same" anatomy course. Sorry, there is nothing more intense in learning than to be able to really understand the human body alike to see, feel the location, view the parts of their function. Can one imagine attempting to have an auto mechanic sole base their decisions on how to repair your car on a schematic drawing?...

R/r 911

jedirye

Forum Lieutenant
All Paramedic courses require anatomy & physiology, how much and who teaches it is the difference.
R/r 911

My school did not require it.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Because they covered it during class... probably very briefly.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
My school did not require it.

Florida?

I hope you misinterpreted what Rid wrote. Paramedic classes do include some A&P if not the formal college classes. Some have a little overview book to teach from. Others use handouts to support the material in the Paramedic text and then there are those that just rely on the Paramedic text book.

Since the "career schools" do not have to follow the same educational requirements for the instructors as the community colleges, you may get the product of another "career school" teaching future paramedics.

jedirye

Forum Lieutenant
Oh, I thought the point was that they required the courses be taken prior to starting the paramedic class...

cakilcrease

Forum Probie
as far as pharmacology goes, if you have not already done this, make flash cards and carry them every where with you... i know cardiac and acls drugs like the back of me hand because of that... that is what i can offer you...

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
he hasnt posted since starting this thread, so im guessing he took his toys to another sandbox.

Katie

Forum Lieutenant
Oh, I thought the point was that they required the courses be taken prior to starting the paramedic class...

a lot of schools do. ours did and i did find it very helpful. i can't imagine covering it only in medic class. do you cover it in sections as you go through the material or all at once?