Paramedic School

Katie

Forum Lieutenant
Hey everyone! I just got my official acceptance letter into paramedic school (w00t!!) starts in late January. I'm really excited to get to take it... and very nervous as well :unsure:

Are there things that I could/should do before hand to prepare? What are some good ways to study? For those of you who have done or are going to paramedic school, what things have you found need most focus on? What was most helpful or most difficult? Are there any things I should definitely make sure that I do?

Any words of advice? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Asclepius

Forum Lieutenant
congratulations. I would recommend that you start getting into the books ahead of time. You're going to need to learn a great deal about anatomy and the different systems of the body. Study up on Diffusion, Osmosis, Active Transport, and those types of things. I didn't take a lot of science in high school so these parts of the class were harder than others were for me. You should receive a class syllabus sometime very soon. READ READ READ!!! Too many ppl want to just throw away the book, but the classes are designed so that you read first and then participate in class discussion.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
start researching different suicide methods so when the time comes you'll have a good idea of how you'd like to end it all without involving too much last minute passion type of thing.

i've decided on an insane amount of high grade smack

in all seriousness, dont start studying class material. study HOW to study. when i went back to school, it had been several years since i was involved in formal education and i had literally forgotten how to study. brush up on study techniques, learning styles etc. re-read your basic text.

OP
OP
K

Katie

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks! I will be sure to look into these :)

congratulations. I would recommend that you start getting into the books ahead of time. You're going to need to learn a great deal about anatomy and the different systems of the body. Study up on Diffusion, Osmosis, Active Transport, and those types of things. I didn't take a lot of science in high school so these parts of the class were harder than others were for me. You should receive a class syllabus sometime very soon. READ READ READ!!! Too many ppl want to just throw away the book, but the classes are designed so that you read first and then participate in class discussion

I'll definately review on my A&P. Fortunately I just finished that class this semester so hopefully I'll remember a bit of it. So far all that I've been told is we'll get information and materials at a meeting on 3 January, but we've already been given our book list to go and find. So I should have that sometime relatively soon.

study HOW to study. when i went back to school, it had been several years since i was involved in formal education and i had literally forgotten how to study. brush up on study techniques, learning styles etc. re-read your basic text.

I think my school offers resources on this, I'll check it out and maybe get some stuff to read up on.

OP
OP
K

Katie

Forum Lieutenant
Question on the A&P. The class that I took was 2 semesters in 1. So basically they took A&P I and II and put all the material into one term. Would it be worth it to get the textbook for the two semester version and read through it? We used a shorter textbook that covered the same topics but I doubt we got quite the same amount of detail. I should be able to pick up a copy of the other pretty easily but would it really be worth it? Or would I be better off putting the time in elsewhere?

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Some advice unrelated to the academic side of things. Take some time before the class starts to reduce stressful situations in your life. Start an exercise program so it will be routine by the time you start school. Take vitamins and make sure your health is good going in.

Paramedic school is stressful. The schedule can be grueling. You will need good study habits, good sleep habits and good eating habits.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
In my program we do rotations and classes at the same time. Get ahead on the rotations. If you do it in a similar fashion, get ahead on your rotations.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
As an EMS educator for a couple of decades, I have seen general problems and solutions.

On top to what others described, here is my recomendations:

Get your ducks in a row... Interpersonal relationship with your loved one, family, etc... Seriously, it is going to be a big change. They need to be aware and abreast of it, before hand. There is going to be very little "family time" and especially, individual time one on one. Discuss with your significant other that they will have to be more understanding, and pick up the slack and chores... more than before.

Get organized as much as possible. Discuss in detail about bills, timely events, review scheduling and get a calendar to live by.

Prepare a site, where you can hide and study. This should be well lighted, free from excess noise, distractions, etc.. As well, if possible have internet access.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
As an EMS educator for a couple of decades, I have seen general problems and solutions.

On top to what others described, here is my recomendations:

Get your ducks in a row... Interpersonal relationship with your loved one, family, etc... Seriously, it is going to be a big change. They need to be aware and abreast of it, before hand. There is going to be very little "family time" and especially, individual time one on one. Discuss with your significant other that they will have to be more understanding, and pick up the slack and chores... more than before.

Get organized as much as possible. Discuss in detail about bills, timely events, review scheduling and get a calendar to live by.

Prepare a site, where you can hide and study. This should be well lighted, free from excess noise, distractions, etc.. As well, if possible have internet access.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

On top to what others described, here is my recommendations:

Get organized as much as possible. Discuss in detail about bills, financial obligations, timely events, review scheduling and get a calendar to live by.

Prepare a site, where you can hide and study. This should be well lighted, free from excess noise, distractions, etc.. As well, if possible have internet access, printer, paper, pencils, etc. Make a study time... this should include serious studying, and as well scheduled breaks. Attempt to stick to it.

Get acquainted with your educational institution. Review their library and all the associated health care books, purchase a copy card (to copy abstracts, articles), see if your institution has literature research site (usually colleges have special contract sites).

Check if they have open skill lab's to review and practice skills. Make sure all your health history, shot records, malpractice insurance, copy of your CPR card, etc. is current and on file.

Get acquainted with the faculty and staff, learn their responsibilities. You may need to use their services, and they maybe able to assist or help you.

If you want to really understand and be better than just the average, plan on reading from multiple text books, and yes from lit above your head. That is why having a medical dictionary, and resource books such as Merck Manual, Cecil's guide to medicine, Guyton's medical physiology, is essential to have on hand.

I disagree about finishing clinicals ASAP. Be sure you understand the objectives and know how to perform those skills. This is what clinicals are for and about. Practice what you have learned or currently studying. Applying the knowledge to the clinical arena and actually seeing it in real life and application.

Read ahead. Read over the objectives (found in the front of the chapter) and outline and answer them, before the next class. In fact, you should be already before the first night. Students, that outlined the chapter and allowed spaces for lecture notes and hand outs seem to succeed better.

Make study partners and groups. I can assure you those that study in pairs and groups, tend to achieve and understand topics better. As well, these groups can have practice sessions, etc. and explain topics that might be misunderstood or need more practice upon. More important to be able to confide problems (personal and school). One will usually see all have common similarities.

Most of all learn as much as possible.. enjoy the time learning, and the most important.. have as much fun as possible !

Good luck!

R/r 911

BillyMan

Forum Crew Member
Ok, ok. I know I'm not even an EMT yet, but I am taking a full course load at my college. Everybody always told me to study in small "chunks" of time. I really always brushed past that idea but it really works!

Just study for about 30 minutes or so and then take a 5 minute break. I found that the longer I spent studying in a row, the more I lost my focus. So now I tend to study about 2 hours each night in 4 - 30 minute sessions. It works wonders! Last year I was averaging a 2.7 - 2.8 gpa and my last 2 quarters since starting doing that method I have gone up to a 3.2 gpa. (Which for me is excellent-_-)

OP
OP
K

Katie

Forum Lieutenant
wow thanks Rid =) I'll check that stuff out with my school as soon as it opens back up. I'm trying to put together a list of things I need to do before the term starts again so hopefully I won't miss anything.

Everybody always told me to study in small "chunks" of time.

Yes that is a good practice :) I also have found that sometimes going elsewhere to study is good as well, especially if you go with a friend. It's what's helped me keep my sanity this past year between schools :rolleyes:

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
as usual, Rids got it right... I warned my family and friends that they would essentially lose me for a year... they all said "right on - we are behind you 100%" but the rubber really meets the road around Christmas time - they want you to go with them to parties, or to do your usual preparation madness - My family would get downright ornery when I would beg off... Until I would remind them of the commitment that WE had made to this process... I have promised my husband to dedicate my license to him.

When you do get to start, DO NOT FALL BEHIND! Work out your process (and after the first few quizzes you will know if it works for you or not) and stick with it... Everything else (except rest, nutrition and exercise) takes second place.

Good luck.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
You think that the holidays are tough, wait until that month or two before the end of the program when all your practicals need be done. We didn't see my husband for 4 weeks as he tried to get his last couple of field tubes and one last childbirth. He was studying for finals while in the rig on the way to calls.

At one point a nurse in an ER where he was doing clinicals pulled him to one side and told him to go find a bed and lie down. She said that people who fell over in their ER woke up with tubes in nasty places.