Paramedic school vs Nursing school

beaucait

Forum Crew Member
Which do you think would be better? I am almost licensed as an EMT, and love it already, but just got accepted into nursing school. What are some pros and cons to each?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Getting your RN/BSN will offer better pay and far more opportunities. I love being a paramedic, but burnout is high, hours are long, and typically pay is low.

As others will say, these are different jobs. Shadow both and see what you prefer. But as fair warning, the lights and sirens being "cool" and the adrenaline rush fades. It can still be a rewarding job, but EMS is not as high-speed as o gets made out to be.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
What if I went to nursing school, and then became a paramedic? :):):):)

That's what he's suggesting. As a nurse with some experience, you can take a 2-week course and then take the test to become a registered paramedic. This route seems like the clear best choice for someone in your situation, who isn't dead set on one or the other. It's much easier to do it this way than the other way around.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
That's what he's saying. Get your RN, challenge the medic test, that way you'll have both. You can work, or just become a medic or a nurse, whichever.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Like Gruby and Chimpie have already pointed out, thats what Ewok is suggesting. Personally if you want to do both, shoot for your RN/BSN. You can work part time as an EMT while going through nursing school. Make a little income, get a little experience. Its a win-win if you can pull it off. Then when you're a RN you can challenge for your medic card/cert./whatever.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Go to nursing school first. Better pay, more opportunities, and (most importantly), you get to wear professional pajamas. Depending on the specialty you choose in nursing, you might be treating more really sick patients in a day than most paramedics treat in a week or more, which will make you a much stronger EMS provider.

If you're still interested in paramedic school afterwards, it will be easier with your nursing education. You can either challenge the exam (in some places), or go through paramedic school (which is what I'm doing).

OP
OP
beaucait

beaucait

Forum Crew Member
I would love to go through paramedic school I think it would be fun

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Paramedic school pretty much pigeon holes you if that's your only post high school education. I am very happy I went and got a bachelors before I went to p-school, at least I have something to fall back on if being a paramedic doesn't work out.

DestinyNicole

Forum Ride Along
Go to nursing school.. More money, more options (you can be a EMS specific type nurse) LOL do the same thing as a medic for 3x the $$$$$$.....There's a reason they have bridges from Medic to Nursing and not vice versa! Good luck either way

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Medic school is fun with some suck mixed in for good measure. That being said, once you are a nurse I doubt you want to deal with all the class hours, clinical days, etc. you would have to do for medic school. Challenge it, best of both worlds.

SpecialK

Forum Captain
You will probably find, as certainly is the case in Australasia, the Paramedic degree and Nursing degree are made up of many of the same papers, at least in first year There may also be the option, as in Australia, of doing a double degree.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
You will probably find, as certainly is the case in Australasia, the Paramedic degree and Nursing degree are made up of many of the same papers, at least in first year There may also be the option, as in Australia, of doing a double degree.

It isn't like that in the US. The two educational tracks are completely different.

OP
OP
beaucait

beaucait

Forum Crew Member
It isn't like that in the US. The two educational tracks are completely different.
I know which doesn't make sense. I wish they were hand in hand.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Listen to everyone on here. Don't pass up an RN school offer. Sadly EMS jobs for the most part are a joke, and paid as such.

Get your RN, then take the paramedic test if you still feel the need to do so.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
There's a reason they have bridges from Medic to Nursing and not vice versa!
^ No.

While I agree BSN is the way to go, there are definitely programs for paramedic to RN. They are just a bit longer then vise versa.