Paramedic oppurtunities in CA

Kirsten

Forum Ride Along
Hi, I am in the military right now and am looking at getting out within the next year. I am thinking about pursuing a career as a paramedic in California once I am out. The problem is I have no idea what to expect as far as the job market, pay, benefits, and what a paramedics day to day work experience is. I am trying to figure out if this would be a good fit for me, I love being a medic but really not sure what to expect working in this feild as a civilian. Would appreciate any input. Thanks

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
If you're stateside, do some rideouts with the local ems service. Are you a medic?

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Hi, I am in the military right now and am looking at getting out within the next year. I am thinking about pursuing a career as a paramedic in California once I am out.

From all reports on this forum:

job market

Oversaturated, and not looking to get any better.

pay, benefits

Poor and often non-existent.

what a paramedics day to day work experience is.

Showing up sometime after the fire department for 9-1-1 calls, dealing with protocols written for a particularly slow sixth grader, and, when not engaged in that fun-filled excitement, transporting people back and forth to doctor's appointments or staging in your ambulance on a street corner in the middle of God's green nowhere.

Sorry. :) I don't practice in California, and the many people on here who do can probably tell you more about it, but from everything that I've ever read on here, California, or at least SoCal, is pretty much the pits for EMS.

terrible one

Always wandering
Unless you work for a FD (extremely competetive) a private career paramedic in CA is almost non-existent. If you really want to work as a paramedic look in a more friendly EMS state (TX, NC, WA, HI)

Rotary

Forum Ride Along
I've worked privates in nor cal as an emt for a couple years now and it is hard to get in. Companys like amr who have the 911 contracts are usually only hiring emts as most of their current ones are already through medic school waiting for a medic position to open up. Pay is usually in the low teen's $14-$15 to start with no benefits. Also, i dont know if this applys to you but i have a newly discharged army medic in my paramedic class because registry won't recognize the military certifications. Pretty lame considering his level of experience and education.

Sodapop

Forum Crew Member
Not only are there very limited if any jobs for Medics in California the schools are still turning them out in groves. Students are waiting 6-12 months after didactic just to get a preceptor to ride with for internship.

So if there are not even enough places for students to ride for internship whats that tell you about the prospect of getting a job anytime soon. Look at another state. Higher demend, better systems and lower cost of living and taxes will be found in lots of other great states.

RESQGUY

Forum Crew Member
Sodapop wrote:
Students are waiting 6-12 months after didactic just to get a preceptor to ride with for internship.

Well, I have not heard that yet. I can tell you that the schools down here(San Diego) will not start you in didactic without a precepter for you. I would not even attend a school that was going to to hang me out to dry after didactic.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Might be a local thing...., but what Sodapop said is true in the part of California I live.

By the way, I guess this is the requirement to work as a paramedic for Paramedic Plus in Alameda County, California.

pp.png

It's hard out here. :(

terrible one

Always wandering
LOL 10+ years as a paramedic? Do those exist in private ambulances in CA?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Hall, some AMRs, Liberty, American...a few.

terrible one

Always wandering
Hall, some AMRs, Liberty, American...a few.

And of those how many are looking to start over with a brand new company in Alameda County with no guarentee that the company will remain after contract negotiations? My guess slim to none.