Paramedic Meds

Gr33n_ey.d_goddess

Forum Ride Along
Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions that would help with the learning process of all the drugs, doses, indications, contraindications for paramedic school...

18G

Paramedic
Flashcards are probably the best method. Every med has about 50 side effects listed and it is impossible and not necessary to learn and memorize every single side effect. Just focus on learning the most common side effects to get a good handle on the meds you will be giving. I mention this cause sometimes it can be intimidating trying to learn all the info.

KCS911

Forum Crew Member
Make it into a lil song or jingle.Have fun with it.

atticrat

Forum Crew Member
Instead of trying to do them all at once, pick a couple a week and get them down, then start a couple more.....

Flashcards work great. Carry them with you, when you have a minute during your day (like waiting at the ED) pull them out.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
take a pharmacology class and learn how and why the drug works

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
See if you can find a rather newer nursing drug book. Flashcards, yupper great idea. I would write your own flashcard though. Writing them will help retain the information. Also, if you are working with a service that deliver medications, ask someone that is willing to help, and go through the drug box. And hand, eye, and verbally talk about the drugs. Good Luck and have fun. :)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I guess I am totally opposite of most. I hate the usage of Flash Cards. I much rather have my students learn the total pharmokinetics of the medication(s). When one has mastered this on how the medication truly works and the etiology of why the medication is ordered, then all one has to know is that the opposite effect would be contraindication(s), untoward reaction and standard dosages.

So many EMS students memorize medication(s) and it shows when one is asked questions regarding pharmacology.

R/r 911

gicts

Forum Lieutenant
I guess I am totally opposite of most. I hate the usage of Flash Cards. I much rather have my students learn the total pharmokinetics of the medication(s). When one has mastered this on how the medication truly works and the etiology of why the medication is ordered, then all one has to know is that the opposite effect would be contraindication(s), untoward reaction and standard dosages.

So many EMS students memorize medication(s) and it shows when one is asked questions regarding pharmacology.

R/r 911

x2. One of the most concise and condensed study options I chose was to listen to Dr. Guy's podcasts.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ems-pharmacology-for-prehospital/id290936644

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief

R/r 911

Brown agrees