Paramedic in Canada?? US Permanent Resident

Ziiiiziiii

Forum Probie
Hey, So I am interested to moving to Vancouver, Canada and becoming the highest Paramedic position there can be. I was wondering, If I should pursue it? Or should I just stay here in Hawaii and become a Paramedic here? I heard about how hard it is to find a job in Canada and I don't want to waste money when I find out later that I can even land a spot. I have no EMT anything training, this is my 1st year of college and I am currently doing pre requisites for the EMT Program for Kapiolani Community College. Any thoughts?

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Yeah I would stick to where you are now. It would be tough to immigrate over there and land a spot working up there. But if you're willing to spend the time, money, and effort I'd say go for it. Just realize you may not like it up there, especially if you've lived your whole life in Hawaii.

OP
OP
Ziiiiziiii

Ziiiiziiii

Forum Probie
I've been to Canada every summer when I was young, Always told myself that's where I want to live permanently when I get older. It's just that I'm afraid me being an international student would decrease my chances of becoming a paramedic there :(

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Call a program up there, but being a student isn't a work visa. You'll need to get a visa that allows you to work, otherwise it won't do any good to get the training since you can't use it there.

OP
OP
Ziiiiziiii

Ziiiiziiii

Forum Probie
I tried calling them last week a couple times i guess they're busy but Im heading to Vancouver this March (2 weeks) for Spring Break :) and what I heard and researched (cause I was also thinking about firefighting) Canada don't believe in Paramedic/Firefighting huh?. or am I wrong lol but thank you for thread reply!

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
No problem. We do have a couple medics from Canada on here who might chime in, but unless you marry a Canadian and get citizenship it might be better off to become a paramedic in the US and find someplace you like in the states and settle there.

OP
OP
Ziiiiziiii

Ziiiiziiii

Forum Probie
Yeah... I would love to stay here in Hawaii pay is good, love the community of EMS family here, etc. I just feel trapped in this island HAHA. But I'm gonna open more opportunities, see If i can find a place I like somewhere in the mainland... Maybe Washington? hehe THANKS AGAIN!

cprted

Forum Captain
There is very little fire-based EMS in Canada ... probably 6 or 7 fire departments in the whole country that do Paramedicine.

British Columbia has a provincial ambulance service. We're hiring, but anyone thinking about coming over to BCAS needs to do their homework first. Without going into huge detail, everyone who hires on starts as a casual working somewhere in the hinterland. As you put time in, you can transfer to busier stations which increase your earning potential. After 4ish years of casual, you'll be eligible for full-time employment in Vancouver.

Most training in BC for Primary Care Paramedics is done through the Justice Institute of BC, though there are other schools. Once you're licensed, working and have a bit of experience under your belt, you can progress onto Advanced Care Paramedic.

I really can't speak to the immigration aspect. Just don't know very much about it. But if you can get a BC paramedic license and legal status to work here, we'll take you.

http://www.bcehs.ca/careers
http://www.jibc.ca/programs-courses...th-community-social-justice/paramedic-academy

VentMonkey

Family Guy
You’re 18, not exactly old, or experienced. Perhaps get your EMT first, gain some experience there (or on the mainland), grab a 4-year degree, then explore ex-pat options and get your paramedic license?

I’m sure island fever really is a thing, and it sounds like you’ve got a case of it, but for how long?

Visiting parts of the world as a child versus living there as an adult are two separate entities. This isn’t to say it can’t or won’t be done, but healthy doses of reality can also persuade decisions made, or avoided in life.

OP
OP
Ziiiiziiii

Ziiiiziiii

Forum Probie
Thanks guys for the replies, I'm more leaning to staying here and try to get accepted into the EMT Program at Kapiolani Comm. College

FLMedic311

Forum Lieutenant
The only EMS agency in British Columbia. The BC Ambulance Service.
Check, it is what I was presuming but I wanted to make sure.
@Ziiiiziiii, I think that is a good idea. Having personally gone through the process of obtaining my ACP in BC and then trying to get hired with BCAS. In short, I will say it would most likely be a futile effort.. Thousands of hours and dollars later, and all I have to show for it is this a piece of paper saying I could be a paramedic in BC.
Granted I get why you would be attracted to moving there! Beautiful city! Now if moving there is truly your biggest aspiration, I would say, do it! Find a way, there are plenty of other rewarding careers that would allow you to be where you want to be! Best of Luck!!

Summit

Critical Crazy
OP Having spent some time in HI and Van/BC, I totally understand why you want to move there from HI. Other that, I've got no useful information. I wish you best of luck and you should keep us posted. :)

OP
OP
Ziiiiziiii

Ziiiiziiii

Forum Probie
Thanks guys! I’ll keep you guys updated! I’m trying to do my pre-reqs right now for the Fall 2018. My Application deadline is June 1,2018! If I pass the application process I have an interview and if I pass the interview hopefully I’ll get into one of the 16 slots! :D soooo wish me luck!!!