Paramedic Degree

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm becoming increasingly interested in how paramedicine is taught given the unique nature of our field - that combination of highly academic medical knowledge with an almost paramilitary organization and role.

I have many ideas and theories developing on the way things should be taught but in this post I'm ganna just ask for your opinions on the basic idea, and structure of, my paramedic degree, or the "Bachelor of Emergency Health (P.med)".

Do you agree with the idea of university based paramedic education (keeping in mind that we don't have EMTs; here, its paramedics backed up by intensive care medics [who have grad dips, or masters degrees])? The buzz word in the field at the moment is "Education. NOT training" but it seems to me that a balance needs to be struck. Is there a danger of churning out academically brilliant medics who can't treat patients? That's been happening here in Victoria recently. It used to be that students didn't do any paramedic related subjects for a whole year. While I agree with the degree system, it clearly needs some fundamental tweaking. Thoughts?

So here's the lay out of my degree as it stands now. What are your opinions?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/16538751/BEH-Course-Structure09

hrmeeks

Forum Crew Member

Education with Training plus Experience should be the example
just my opinion

Is there a danger of churning out academically brilliant medics who can't treat patients? That's been happening here in Victoria recently.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/16538751/BEH-Course-Structure09

we call those guys residents in the hospital or patches (b/c of the little orange patch on their shoulder

http://www.scribd.com/doc/16538751/BEH-Course-Structure09[/QUOTE]

VentMedic

Forum Chief
A well structured program should be able to get at least 1000 hours of clinicals during the course the a two or 4 year degree just as other health care professions do. Some programs require the sciences to be done prior to admission to a program. That ensures even more time that can be alloted to clinicals.

Right now, many of the U.S. Paramedic programs only average between 300 and 500 hours of clinicals and ride time. The program length in total averages 600 - 1050 hours. The EMT-B is 120 hours total with usually no more than 20 hours included in those hours of ambulance and ED time.

Our problem in the U.S. is lack of educators to properly educate in the classroom and oversee students to ensure they are getting the most out of their clinical experience. Coffee rounds in the nursing break room at the ED and ALS engine sleepovers just don't make the grade. So when some complain about education and experience, they may not have had the best possible use of their time in either the education or clinical areas.

OP
OP
Melclin

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
A well structured program should be able to get at least 1000 hours of clinicals during the course the a two or 4 year degree just as other health care professions do. Some programs require the sciences to be done prior to admission to a program. That ensures even more time that can be alloted to clinicals.

Right now, many of the U.S. Paramedic programs only average between 300 and 500 hours of clinicals and ride time. The program length in total averages 600 - 1050 hours. The EMT-B is 120 hours total with usually no more than 20 hours included in those hours of ambulance and ED time.

Our problem in the U.S. is lack of educators to properly educate in the classroom and oversee students to ensure they are getting the most out of their clinical experience. Coffee rounds in the nursing break room at the ED and ALS engine sleepovers just don't make the grade. So when some complain about education and experience, they may not have had the best possible use of their time in either the education or clinical areas.

I'm a little sketchy on how much ride time we get exactly. A few days in the first year, in second, we get around 4 weeks, and in 3rd year around 8 weeks, four of which are cycles through the ED, psych, ICU and I think maternity wards. Probably something in the order of 550-600 hours, and you get progressively more involved as you move through. In the third year placements, you have effectively the same authority to practice as the medics, given the supervision and approval of the medics you're with. That said, we don't graduate as fully fledged paramedics, we have 1-2 years of internship, spent one on one with a clinical instructor (in theory), taught while you work sort of stuff, in the style of a medical intern.

EMTrainer

Forum Probie
I like the internship idea

I like the idea of a year or two of internship before getting your paramedic license. We don't have that here and the amount of supervised field training after passing the National Registry test (not all states are Registry states, some have their own testing requirements) varies widely from service to service.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I like the idea of a year or two of internship before getting your paramedic license. We don't have that here and the amount of supervised field training after passing the National Registry test (not all states are Registry states, some have their own testing requirements) varies widely from service to service.

The whole state to state differences are one of the main things holding EMS back from becoming something other than the red-headed stepchild of medicine. We need fully standardized levels like all the other medical fields do

OP
OP
Melclin

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
The whole state to state differences are one of the main things holding EMS back from becoming something other than the red-headed stepchild of medicine. We need fully standardized levels like all the other medical fields do

I'd agree with that. States here still have alot of differences but universities in all states now offer a degree. Some places still offer in house training although its just as long as a degree, its not a formal qualification and its being phased out as far as I know.

With the degree you can also take it and use it to find employment with anybody who requires non specific university employment (in the same sense that a BA helps in general), and because theres a very general health focus in the first year we can get into health-care administration too, with a little bit of post-graduate work. It just generally helps to have it as a universally recognized bachelors degree rather than a "paramedic license" (we don't have any form of liscensure here, the alternative to the degree was in house training or a diploma style technical school type thing).

The multiple services thing you guys have still confuses me. We have one state run service. In my head joining the ambulance service is like joining the army. You don't get your soldier license and then go and work for whatever army employs you (not making a paramilitary comparison to paramedic practice its just the first example that popped into my head). So I get a bit confused about all the different types of private services and ALS/BLS, 911/IFT, fire brigade/ambulance (the idea that the fireries can also be medics is so weird to me).

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'd agree with that. States here still have alot of differences but universities in all states now offer a degree. Some places still offer in house training although its just as long as a degree, its not a formal qualification and its being phased out as far as I know.

With the degree you can also take it and use it to find employment with anybody who requires non specific university employment (in the same sense that a BA helps in general), and because theres a very general health focus in the first year we can get into health-care administration too, with a little bit of post-graduate work. It just generally helps to have it as a universally recognized bachelors degree rather than a "paramedic license" (we don't have any form of liscensure here, the alternative to the degree was in house training or a diploma style technical school type thing).

The multiple services thing you guys have still confuses me. We have one state run service. In my head joining the ambulance service is like joining the army. You don't get your soldier license and then go and work for whatever army employs you (not making a paramilitary comparison to paramedic practice its just the first example that popped into my head). So I get a bit confused about all the different types of private services and ALS/BLS, 911/IFT, fire brigade/ambulance (the idea that the fireries can also be medics is so weird to me).

That's one of the main reasons I'm getting my AAS (associates) in Paramedicine. My school is leading the way here in NM to try and get paramedic to require at least the Associates degree to practice.

And as for being confused... I've been living in this city for almost two years and I still get confused sometimes about the ways they run the system here and in neighboring counties

EMTrainer

Forum Probie
Confusing

The confusion is less in states that accept National Registry standards. You can still have services that are Fire Service, Hospital, or Community based, professional or volunteer, or Privately Owned, but if you are a registry state you must meet the registry requirements for the level of service you provide. A community-based, volunteer ALS ambulance is held to the same standard as a hospital-based, professional ALS service.

Note: When I say "professional" I am referring to personnel who are making their living in EMS. I do not intend to imply that the care provided by volunteer services is less professional than on a paid service. I got my start on a volunteer community ambulance service and I would put many of the volunteer EMT-Bs we had up against any EMT-B from a full-time, paid service.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
The confusion is less in states that accept National Registry standards. You can still have services that are Fire Service, Hospital, or Community based, professional or volunteer, or Privately Owned, but if you are a registry state you must meet the registry requirements for the level of service you provide. A community-based, volunteer ALS ambulance is held to the same standard as a hospital-based, professional ALS service.

Note: When I say "professional" I am referring to personnel who are making their living in EMS. I do not intend to imply that the care provided by volunteer services is less professional than on a paid service. I got my start on a volunteer community ambulance service and I would put many of the volunteer EMT-Bs we had up against any EMT-B from a full-time, paid service.

Okay, not to be tacky but you label yourself as "EMTrainer" and represent you know very little about EMS. You yet do not know that the National Registry has NO such standards as you descrube. They do NOT develop standards for different divisions or levels of service!

Now, with that stated we can hence see where part of the problem arises. EMS Instructors are not well educated enough within their own profession. How are we suppose to take one serious if they don't even know who writes and enforces the curriculum they supposedly teach from? Do we honestly suppose to take one serious enough to respect their opinion or any of their statements in regards to anything else?

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

GonnaBeEMT

Forum Crew Member
Huh?

Okay, not to be tacky but you label yourself as "EMTrainer" and represent you know very little about EMS. You yet do not know that the National Registry has NO such standards as you descrube. They do NOT develop standards for different divisions or levels of service!

Now, with that stated we can hence see where part of the problem arises. EMS Instructors are not well educated enough within their own profession. How are we suppose to take one serious if they don't even know who writes and enforces the curriculum they supposedly teach from? Do we honestly suppose to take one serious enough to respect their opinion or any of their statements in regards to anything else?

R/r 911

Say what Willis?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Say what Willis?

EMS 101:

Short & simple, the National Registry of EMT's has NO such thing as a curriculum, Standards, etc. for states, divisions of EMS albeit private, fire, third party, etc. Never have or never will. Period.

It is a testing agency that develops a test that is highly accredited and weighed for professional standards. These tests are offered to States that want to participate. Many opt due to the ease and costs. These tests are based on the current National EMT to Paramedic curriculum's. As well due to ever changing cardiac care, it is revised with current cardiac standards as set out by the Emergency Cardiac Committee which standard is recommended by the American Heart Association.

The National Highway Safety Administration (NHTSA) (formerly known as Department of Transportation) is and has always been responsible for developing the National Standards for EMT's through Paramedics. States can choose not to participate, but by doing so risk the chance of loosing millions of Federal funding and programs. States can add to and develop additional levels but must use at least the minimum level.

Each State is responsible for the development of EMS within their own state. They are charged to develop upon what is best for their own citizens. Most develop an oversee agency within the State that operate either independently or as many through such agencies as State Health Departments, etc.

Some may even go further and allow cities or counties to place requirements. Not as popular as in the beginning and as most found very restrictive and costly.

The current curriculum will soon expire. It is reviewed and contracted out for revision about every 10-15 years. The curriculum will be changed, and placed into a Scope. Attempts to allow EMS to mature has been slow for various reasons and many of these are the lack of having well educated persons teaching and governing the profession.

The new scope was written under the guidance of the National Association of EMS Educators. The new curriculum will no longer have "objectives" as previously before. Emphasis will be placed upon educators to make "teaching lesson plans" alike those with true educational system and standards. A drastic and bold movement considering most of those that teach EMS are not truly educators but rather are "instructors" that train. A different method with different expectations.

The NREMT has been working for the improvement of EMS in multiple ways for several decades. True they have some influence as per suggestions by revealing data from tests and scientific research. One of the major changes is that of their suggestion that those that teach Paramedic programs be Nationally Accredited (all other healthcare professions require such, except EMS). This is not new as many have thought, as it was introduced decades ago but a final date was announced recently.

Again, each educator of EMS should already have a great knowledge of this to teach to their students. Each student should know their profession well enough to be able to know who is responsible for educational development and locally who has legal and legislative authority. As well, each student should know more than just local protocols but state codes and laws that over see EMS. Failure to do so, demonstrates lack of knowledge of being an EMT or Paramedic just as much as not knowing patient care.

R/r 911

terrible one

Always wandering

when do you think a new curriculum would be available and implemented? and what other changes do you forsee besides the changes in instructing the course?

just curious if you know of anything, as I am looking forward to some changes in the EMS education/instruction

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Actually the new scope is out. It is to be official this fall but doubtful that most publishers will be ready. Some are attempting to have new texts out by this fall.

You can download the free scope through NAEMSE website.

R/r911

OP
OP
Melclin

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Actually the new scope is out. It is to be official this fall but doubtful that most publishers will be ready. Some are attempting to have new texts out by this fall.

You can download the free scope through NAEMSE website.

R/r911

I had a bit of a read through some of the documents there. I keep seeing references to medical oversight. This reliance on 'medical control' bugs me (if thats what they're talking about). We don't have it here, so maybe I don't understand it properly, but it seems like you're hardly going to be able to be considered professionals and clinical decision makers in your own right instead of just the eyes, ears and hands of a dr on the radio, without the underlying education.

Another thing that irks me along the same lines is how RNs seem to be held in higher esteem and treated as having a greater medical knowledge over your way. Its the other way around here, and to me that makes more sense. Medics regularly make their own clinical decisions about courses of treatment and medications, often in life or death situations mostly without any back up and accordingly, we have the relevant education. None of which a nurse can do, and they constantly have medical backup (Our poor nurses cant even canulate without an extra qualification which is crap), and accordingly their education doesn't have the same focus on physiology and pharmacology. I'm not having a go at nurses, I just can't see why in the US it seems like medics are treated like they need to have less education than nurses, to do a job that needs more (physiology/pharmacology/Dx wise).

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'm not having a go at nurses, I just can't see why in the US it seems like medics are treated like they need to have less education than nurses, to do a job that needs more (physiology/pharmacology/Dx wise).

Part of it is the continued existence and demand for medic mills and other short programs so companies and FDs can have warm bodies. We had a long discussion about something like this in class and it seems like every time there were major proposed education increases, fire depts pitched a fit, because then they would have a harder time getting members, especially the volunteer depts. Although they could all go under and I wouldn't care too much. A professional EMS response would replace them soon enough

OP
OP
Melclin

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Interesting that you mention the FD thing. I find it hard to wrap my head around why people think its a good idea to mix the two. They involve two entirely different skills sets and education. Predominantly they go to different cases and they use entirely different equipment. I don't understand why there aren't separate ambulance services. It makes no sense and I hate the idea that EMS then becomes ancillary to fire fighting. Not to mention the fact that its just stupid to drive a great big friggen firetruck to an EMS call although I understand that alot of FD haves ambulances as well, but in that case, they may as well have a separate service.

Here we have Police (coppers), Fire (water fairies) or Ambulance (Ambo's). You get a choice when you ring 000 (our 911). All three services work together, but they are distinctly separate entities with very different roles. Why it would be done any other way is beyond me.

downunderwunda

Forum Captain
Melclin,

I hope you are not suggesting that University Education in Australia is the ONLY way to achieve the knowledge to be an effective & highly skilled Paramedic.

Let me quote some interesating stats for you. The average age now for people with a degree starting as a Paramedic is 24. They stay on average 8 years.

The average age for a trades background to come into the profession is 34. The average stay is the balance of their working life. I fit the second category & resent the snotty nose little turds with their degree's trying to tell me after they have been on road for 2 minutes how to diagnose a patient. There are some good operators that come through the Uni ranks, & I am more than happy to work with them, but when I have a probationer trying to tell me when where & how I should give morphine, in front of the patient, I do take exception.

My education, although not university based is more than comparable to the clinical knowledge you learn at University, but I also had street smarts before I joined this profession. Something that is lacking with most that hold the degree & the main cause of them burning out in a short space of time.

OP
OP
Melclin

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Melclin,

I hope you are not suggesting that University Education in Australia is the ONLY way to achieve the knowledge to be an effective & highly skilled Paramedic.

Let me quote some interesating stats for you. The average age now for people with a degree starting as a Paramedic is 24. They stay on average 8 years.

The average age for a trades background to come into the profession is 34. The average stay is the balance of their working life. I fit the second category & resent the snotty nose little turds with their degree's trying to tell me after they have been on road for 2 minutes how to diagnose a patient. There are some good operators that come through the Uni ranks, & I am more than happy to work with them, but when I have a probationer trying to tell me when where & how I should give morphine, in front of the patient, I do take exception.

My education, although not university based is more than comparable to the clinical knowledge you learn at University, but I also had street smarts before I joined this profession. Something that is lacking with most that hold the degree & the main cause of them burning out in a short space of time.

Whether or not the education is uni based has nothing to do with the backgrounds. People with a trades background who are 34 still do uni degrees and people who are 24 still do other forms of training. Your poor experiences with uni grads don't make the system fundamentally flawed. Nor does your competence make the way you were educated fundamentally better. Also the length of their stay in the professional is not a reflection on their competence, nor the quality of their education. Many people move on to different careers, as you did. In short what you have told me says nothing substantial about university other than you have a grudge against it because you associate some co-workers you haven't liked with the degree. If they're disrespectful wankas as individuals, it has nothing to do with the efficacy of university education vs Vocational education in influence on the greater direction of the profession.

However, I do think its entirely possible to become a perfectly competent technician through other forms of training. But if we are to encourage pre-hospital specific research and higher levels of theoretical knowledge as well as achieving professional status amongst other health workers and dictating our own scopes of practice instead of being told what to do in simple steps by Dr.s, then yes, university is the only way to do that. If you want to attract the kinds of people who are predisposed to that sort of thing, in short if we wanna poach people who would have done medicine or science, then yes university is the only way to do that.

Other than that, a degree is almost universally recognized. If I leave paramedicine, I still have a degree. It means I can do post grad education in other areas if I want to diversify, or change fields. A person with on the job training/vocational education has far fewer options in this regard.