Paramedic class + FT job

4mysins

Forum Probie
Rhan,

You can do it! I am currently in Medic school full time, working full time, full time mommy, and already on my clinicals (every Friday night 7pm to 7 am in the ER after a full day at the office YIKES!) My vice of choice is Lo Carb Monster & coffee. =) It can be done. Just have to be honest with everyone around you. My support team is my daughter who will come in my room sits on the pillow next to me with a practice test book and quiz me as I am taking a power nap. GRR! Sleep... its over rated! My friends and family have been told and I tell them to be patient with me, in less than 174 more days, your life could be in my hands. Needless to say they are VERY supportive. Hold your head up and know that it can be done! Just know where your focus needs to be on and go for it. The reward is worth the challenge ahead!

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I made a decision to go ahead with medic school and sent off my application today. Of course I will have to continue to work full time and my current non-ems job to get me through school. If I can find the right job where I can still pay all the bills, then I will move to this new position.

With the overtime I would always get with my schedule I figure I can bring home $1,200 every two weeks, which would still be a pay cut, but nothing beats doing something you really want to do. Just gotta get some bills paid off :) .

Last edited by a moderator:

Noctis Lucis Caelum

Forum Lieutenant
I made a decision to go ahead with medic school and sent off my application today. Of course I will have to continue to work full time and my current non-ems job to get me through school. If I can find the right job where I can still pay all the bills, then I will move to this new position.

With the overtime I would always get with my schedule I figure I can bring home $1,200 every two weeks, which would still be a pay cut, but nothing beats doing something you really want to do. Just gotta get some bills paid off :) .

I just signed up for medic school also and starting june 16th. My tuition is $12,500 so i ounno if thats considered expensive or cheap to some. But i will be on the same boat as you and i hope we both make it out of medic school alive and wiser.

EmsPrincess*

Forum Crew Member
I recently completed EMT class and got certified. I also did A&P I in prep for paramedic. You have to have at least that done + EMT B to get in.

Anyhow I wanted to see what people's experience's were trying to tackle this with a full time job. I work 7-4pm M-F; classes are 5-10 M,W,F. I am starting to have second thoughts if I can do this and continue to do good at my job where I make good money.

I am trying to convince myself to just work basic for a couple years and get some experience. I always wanted to get to medic though. I am not sure what to do and am looking for some advice. I wanted to get others feedback on their medic schooling and their full-time job. How it effected your job, did you grades slump due to your job. etc. etc.

I'm not in paramedic class but am starting EMT (a condensed 12 week version). I have three kids 8, 11, and 15, I homeschool two of them. I work 32 hours on the weekends and one 8 hour shift through the week. I love what YODA says: Do or Do Not - There is no try.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I just signed up for medic school also and starting june 16th. My tuition is $12,500 so i ounno if thats considered expensive or cheap to some. But i will be on the same boat as you and i hope we both make it out of medic school alive and wiser.

$12,500?! My God.

I'm paying $2,950 for my medic class. That's about the average here... between $3k and $4,500.

aandjmayne

Forum Crew Member
true.. didnt think of it that way. At least your school offers financial aid.. mine doesnt yet.. they say theyre working on it though.. the bad thing is it is part of LSU (kind of.. no ones real sure how that works) and they take financial aid.. so I dont know what the deal is.. :p

aandjmayne

Forum Crew Member
I'm not in paramedic class but am starting EMT (a condensed 12 week version). I have three kids 8, 11, and 15, I homeschool two of them. I work 32 hours on the weekends and one 8 hour shift through the week. I love what YODA says: Do or Do Not - There is no try.

I love YODA... ^_^

4mysins

Forum Probie

Wow! $12K for school. Once I get done with everything I will only be out about $4500 for my paramedic. I wish everyone the best of luck, I am on the "downhill" ha ha part of it now. See everyone when the crazy train stops....

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Well I got accepted into paramedic class. Its Monday, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5-10pm, its a 3 hour round trip from here and back to school. I also have to go to school on Wednesday to do A&PII. Most schools require both to be done, but this college allows you to take it as a co-requisite. If you make lower than a "C" in it u get dismissed.

Well wish my luck, I accepted the invitation, some people didn't get accepted its really competitive, class size is only 20 people and enrollment is just once a year.

atropine

Forum Captain
Really? I make more then almost every fire medic I know!

Really?, you made more than 200k last year, there is an article on a engineer/medic who works for OCFA who made over 200k last year. Where do you work? cause if your pulling that kind of cash I should resign my fire gig and go there.:rolleyes:

medic3416

Forum Probie
With all due respect, nobody should be in paramedic school without significant EMS experience. at least 2 FT years at a service that runs 6000+ E calls/yr or more until its equivalent. Paramedic school does not teach you how to actually work as an EMT in EMS. There is a huge difference between learning how to be an EMT or Paramedic and actually working in EMS. If you are not sure what I'm talking about you need more experience.

whatw14578

Forum Crew Member
Well I got accepted into paramedic class. Its Monday, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5-10pm, its a 3 hour round trip from here and back to school. I also have to go to school on Wednesday to do A&PII. Most schools require both to be done, but this college allows you to take it as a co-requisite. If you make lower than a "C" in it u get dismissed.

Well wish my luck, I accepted the invitation, some people didn't get accepted its really competitive, class size is only 20 people and enrollment is just once a year.

Good for you I say you should take that paramedic program. You will get the experience you need during your clinical time. It may take you a little longer but you will reach the end of the tunnel. Nurses don’t have to be nursing assistants for 2 years before being a RN or LPN. That’s why the medic and nurse programs have those pre reqs and are A.S. degrees with like 900 hours of clinical time or more. You’ll do fine!

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Good for you I say you should take that paramedic program. You will get the experience you need during your clinical time. It may take you a little longer but you will reach the end of the tunnel. Nurses don’t have to be nursing assistants for 2 years before being a RN or LPN. That’s why the medic and nurse programs have those pre reqs and are A.S. degrees with like 900 hours of clinical time or more. You’ll do fine!

Thanks, as to the other post I do have some experience as a emt I have been working part time since january. Besides paramedics are always learning and I hope to learn a lot in clinicals and precepting.