Paramedic class + FT job

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I recently completed EMT class and got certified. I also did A&P I in prep for paramedic. You have to have at least that done + EMT B to get in.

Anyhow I wanted to see what people's experience's were trying to tackle this with a full time job. I work 7-4pm M-F; classes are 5-10 M,W,F. I am starting to have second thoughts if I can do this and continue to do good at my job where I make good money.

I am trying to convince myself to just work basic for a couple years and get some experience. I always wanted to get to medic though. I am not sure what to do and am looking for some advice. I wanted to get others feedback on their medic schooling and their full-time job. How it effected your job, did you grades slump due to your job. etc. etc.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

I'm not sure about what other people experienced while in school, but i would say you would be fine until clinicals. Once you get to your clinicals and your internship you may start having problems.

If your wanting to become a paramedic and just became a EMT. I personally would try to get a FT job as a EMT, 1. to find out if this is a career path you really want to follow 2. FT EMT work is usually 3 days a week which will give you plenty of time for school/study/clinicals/internship. Plus most employers will encourage your continued education and work with your school schedule.

Corky

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
well it certainly wasnt the only contributing factor, but i worked full time while going to medic school full time and i didnt make it.

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm not sure about what other people experienced while in school, but i would say you would be fine until clinicals. Once you get to your clinicals and your internship you may start having problems.

If your wanting to become a paramedic and just became a EMT. I personally would try to get a FT job as a EMT, 1. to find out if this is a career path you really want to follow 2. FT EMT work is usually 3 days a week which will give you plenty of time for school/study/clinicals/internship. Plus most employers will encourage your continued education and work with your school schedule.

Corky

Well I already have a career as a cell site technician. I might could make more as a paramedic with the hours but I don't know. I really enjoy the work, helping people etc. If it doesn't pay more I could still do it with a pay cut. Guess I will just do it a couple years, I can still help plenty as a basic.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

Unless your a FF/Paramedic expect pay cut

Corky

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Nobody here can tell you whether YOU can do it or not. I'm in the middle of doing it right now and I won't lie it's tough, it's real tough but bills gotta get paid and this is what I want to do. If you understand that you'll be running 7 days a week and are willing to make the sacrifices in your personal life it is possible. There are 3 of us in my class that are still working full time and believe it or not we're the top 3 in our class.

I either work, go to school, do ride-alongs or a combination of any of them 7 days a week for a minimum of 16 hours a day, then add in the time that you spend studying for class. If you don't see a problem with that then by all means go for it, it works for some and not for others. There's nothing wrong with saying that schedule doesn't work for you or if you have too many other commitments (read wife) that don't allow that. We all have opinions and stories of what's worked for us but the only one that can really answer that is yourself depending on your lifestyle and how hard you're willing to work for it.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
I think if you find the right job (i.e. with lots of downtime), it's entirely possible to work FT and go to school FT. I'm in an accelerated EMT-I prog now, which has us in class for about 35 hours a week and I work about 85 hours a week. I work at a very quiet rural station where I average only about 1 call per those 85 hours a week. This allows me to dedicate a lot of time to studying. The downside is that I'm never home, so my house has been destroyed by my 3 cats.:wacko: I also don't have time to go to the gym or cook (on class days) anymore, so I've gained about 10 lbs in the 2 months I've been doing this. And even though I might not do much at work, it's still 8 hours of commuting weekly.

But some of my classmates are graduating with $16,000 in loans and I'm only graduating with $2,300 - and I like to live large. If I cut down on stuff like eating out, I could've paid my tuition and living expenses without any loans at all. AND I'm in the top 3 in my class, possibly even #1.:ph34r: We've got people who don't work at all and they are barely passing because all they do on their days off from school is touch themselves in their special places.:rolleyes:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
i worked full time and went to Medic school. I made it through but i did not enjoy it. I was burned out. My full time job was an EMT-B, than classes, clinicals, studying plus i had to commute to the class and clinicals. I passed but i wouldn't do it that way a 2nd time.

stephenrb81

Forum Lieutenant
There are *MANY* factors. Depends on your program, your work, your program's clinical policy, your social life, etc...

My Experience:
$5,400 (Two student loans, $3,500 interest free + $1,900)

Mon: School (I usually try to get in about 4-6 hours of clinicals in the morning before school)
Tues: Clinicals (12-15hours depending on my mood)
Wed:Work (12 or 24, varies)
Thurs:School
Fri: Work (24h)
Sat: Work (12h)
Sun: Clinicals (Usually 12h)

I'm married, she works, but my wife is understanding of my schedule, we usually get monday and wednesday nights together and every other saturday nights together.

I don't party or "go out" so no loss of social life there

I only see about 2 WHOLE days per month where I can sit at home and relax without having to go to work/school/clinicals and it's really dragging me down but I'm hanging in tight.

Again, it greatly depends on how much you work already and how your school handles its clinicals.

EDIT: Going to agree with firecoins, It can burn you out and sucks even worse if you have a decent commute (I drive 60 miles one way to school and certain required clinical rotation sites are also 60 miles)

Last edited by a moderator:

reaper

Working Bum
Unless your a FF/Paramedic expect pay cut

Corky

Really? I make more then almost every fire medic I know!

As everyone has told you so far, It is a year of hell. If you are single it is easier to deal with. If you are married, make sure the wife knows what will happen and make sure she can handle it.

EMT is something you can do as a side job. If you really want to be a medic, you need to dedicate yourself to it. You may need to quit your job and find one working as an EMT. You will suffer money wise doing it, but that is a choice you need to make for yourself.

Sit down and think about what you want and decide what is better for you in the long run.

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks for everyone's comments so far. I realize I have to make this decision myself, but I wanted some input from others who have been through it. Is there any medics that make in the $45,000's a year with overtime?

CH47Doc

Forum Ride Along
i make that without overtime, actually im makin between 50-55k without OT. but the fire kids are making more than that. it helps to have a union that squeals everytime you feel slighted.

crotchitymedic1986

Forum Crew Member
I wouldnt base my career choice on money, as there is nothing worse than being trapped in a job you hate, but cant quit because you make too much. If I were you, I would do the EMT thing awhile part-time, before you leap to medic. All new jobs are exciting and fun in the beginning.

reaper

Working Bum
Thanks for everyone's comments so far. I realize I have to make this decision myself, but I wanted some input from others who have been through it. Is there any medics that make in the $45,000's a year with overtime?

You can make $50k or more a year. But, money can not be your decision maker for this job. You have to want to do this job to survive. I left a job making $100k to working as an EMT making $16k, then continued on. I made that choice on what I wanted out of life and would I be happy 10 years from now?

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
At the service I work for new medics start around 40-45k/year working their normal 48 hour week. That said it's a big city where you have to put up with all the big city garbage and you'll run 18+ calls in a 24 hour shift but the money's there if you're willing to work for it.

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
This is good to hear, I am not trying to get rich. I would just like to be able to pay my house note, car note, necessary bills and maintain some reasonable lifestyle. I don't want to have to sit at home and look at four walls. No matter how much you enjoy your job, you still want to have money to do things with your significant other.

Most times I make much more than the $46K, as long as I can make it, I think I would enjoy it. I start orientation tomorrow, if its for me, hopefully I should know before enrollment starts in August. I really enjoyed rides and clinicals and class though. Especially helping people.

Last edited by a moderator:

HereToLearn

Forum Crew Member
I got the feeling from reading your posts that you have no actual EMT experience. Is this true? I know this doesn't answer the OP's post directly, BUT, I personally think it's a mistake to go straight from an EMT course into Medic school without work experience as an EMT. EMT class does NOT prepare you or give you any kind of a good indication of what you will experience in the field. Work as an EMT first and then after six months or a year, decide if you still want to become a Paramedic. Because right now, you really couldn't know if becoming a Medic is right for you...

Now to answer your question...

Many of the medics that I've worked with were able to work FT and go to school. That being said, not one of them would recommend it.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I got the feeling from reading your posts that you have no actual EMT experience. Is this true? I know this doesn't answer the OP's post directly, BUT, I personally think it's a mistake to go straight from an EMT course into Medic school without work experience as an EMT. EMT class does NOT prepare you or give you any kind of a good indication of what you will experience in the field. Work as an EMT first and then after six months or a year, decide if you still want to become a Paramedic. Because right now, you really couldn't know if becoming a Medic is right for you...

Now to answer your question...

Many of the medics that I've worked with were able to work FT and go to school. That being said, not one of them would recommend it.

I start part-time tomorrow, with medic school not starting until August. Hopefully that will be enough time for me to make a decision.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
EDIT: Going to agree with firecoins, It can burn you out and sucks even worse if you have a decent commute (I drive 60 miles one way to school and certain required clinical rotation sites are also 60 miles)

I have a 250-mile commute and I use the time to study index cards and catch up with friends on my cell since I don't have a whole lot of time left for a social life.