Paged out as an overdose

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Yeah....cause only sick people call 911. Where do you work :rolleyes:

So you want to interrogate him? He took three 500mg tylenols, not even half the daily recommended dose.

Put the helicopter on standby.

Subtle help for a psych problem...........WTF.

Im all for helping sick people, some are not sick.

And you are assuming all of this as an EMT-B? 110 hours of training and you are making decisions most doctors wouldn't by just assumptions.

BTW, it is called an assessment.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
All of 1500MG of Tylenol lol And for the record The MD at the ED laughed when told of the call.

But he did do an assessment on the patient? Right?

Because you find something humorous does not relieve of your responsibility to performing an adequate assessment.

I suggest you study a little more about Tylenol and its affect on various organs and disease processes.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
So were you "robo tripping" while on duty?!!?!!? :p Lots of kids around here were pounding DXM (found in dayquil, cough syrup, etc) to get high before legislation required photo ID, 18+ Y/O and limited purchases.

No no no... This was before EMS days. I was night stocking a retail clothing store. I wouldn't be anywhere near a patient under the influence... :ph34r:

Any job in healthcare requires are clean background check, I wouldn't be dumb enough to mess it up. :excl:

I remember someone who made a joke to the pharmacist of "so how much meth can I make from this psuedoephedrine..." They didn't think it was so funny. Of course they were just messing around cause they knew why it required ID.

OP
OP
G

garett1979

Forum Probie
No the MD didnt cause the patient refused care. The MD was told of the call on a later transport, and found it quite humerous a person would call 911 for taking three tylenols. And yes i have and understand the affects of tylenol on the body's organs specifically the liver

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
And you are assuming all of this as an EMT-B? 110 hours of training and you are making decisions most doctors wouldn't by just assumptions.

BTW, it is called an assessment.

:rolleyes:

trevor1189

Forum Captain
I'm sure you could find a county in California that would hire you.

That is disturbing. Seriously...

I don't even have a traffic ticket. I want to keep it that way. I think someday I could be a really good healthcare provider and I don't want to jeopardize that in any way.

The only time I have been pulled over was for swerving, I was on a new medication and was starting to get drowsy. Officer asked if there was anyone I could call to give me a ride and verified my prescription. Very nice about it. Frankly, he could have given me a DUI, but he understood the circumstances and helped me out. Lesson learned. When starting a new medication make sure you are ok to operate a vehicle while on it. I had been on it for a few days and had not had any problems with it making me drowsy. But that day it did. A ride came for me and car was left at the scene, he shook my hand and said be careful. I am very much appreciative for his discretion and glad he pulled me over. If I would have fallen asleep at the wheel and injured someone I could never live with myself. :sad:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
No the MD didnt cause the patient refused care. The MD was told of the call on a later transport, and found it quite humerous a person would call 911 for taking three tylenols.

If the patient did not get transported was it because the Paramedic with you gave the patient some assurance? Or, did you and the Paramedic try your best to humiliate the patient into not going to the hospital?

As it has been stated before and you should also know this, there have been numerous public service announcements about Tylenol.

I find it totally immature for some healthcare professionals to criticize patients when they have been the ones that have put the fear of some things into the minds of the patients.

I can see from you posts you also got a good laugh. You are too new to be blowing off patient assessments.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
OP
OP
G

garett1979

Forum Probie
Yes the medic gave the pt assurance he would be fine. A proper assesment was done. But next time i will tell medflight to stand by!!:rolleyes:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Yes the medic gave the pt assurance he would be fine. A proper assesment was done. But next time i will tell medflight to stand by!!:rolleyes:

And another fine attitude for EMS. When oh when will EMS ever become a medical profession with medical professionals?

OP
OP
G

garett1979

Forum Probie
Had the MD ripped our butts saying we were totally in the wrong, I would have never posted the thread, but when he laughs about it, most others will as well. Why oh why do most medics, not all but most think they no more than the MD? Most medics have enough attitude for all ems put together. Again not all medics, just ones who think they no more than the MD

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Had the MD ripped our butts saying we were totally in the wrong, I would have never posted the thread, but when he laughs about it, most others will as well. Why oh why do most medics, not all but most think they no more than the MD? Most medics have enough attitude for all ems put together. Again not all medics, just ones who think they no more than the MD

Look at your posts. You have laughed and made the assumptions about this patient. You are not even an EMT-B yet but believe yourself to be able to make a judgement about a patient on the same level as a doctor. From you attitude about people who do have more education than you, you may not go very far in EMS. You will probably use you opinion of educated people to not get an education yourself.

Did you not learn anything from this thread?

Seriously, the EMT-B level in the U.S. must be redone. This thread could be the poster model for that.

OP
OP
G

garett1979

Forum Probie
Again vent you seem to be one of the only people who had a problem with this thread. And for the record I'm one of my instructors best students, I take ems very seriously, when someone who has more knowledge, and training makes there judgement by know means am I gonna say No your wrong we should do it this way!

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
And another fine attitude for EMS. When oh when will EMS ever become a medical profession with medical professionals?

Medical professionals can conduct a thorough assessment and come to the conclusion that not everybody is sick, rather then just transporting everyone to disguise their incompetence as providers. They want to go they go, they dont there advised of the risks involved if any exist. I dont loose sleep either way.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Garret you could have saved everyone ten minutes of their life that they can never get back if you were a little more descriptive in your first post.

Hope you run forms and refusal are a little more informative.

Sorry everyone for the attitude someone pissed in my corn flakes this morning. I cant shake the taste.