Oxygen Question

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
We don't need to care about anatomy, physiology or patient care here. It's all about protocols and tradition!
If this a Facebook status, I'd like it. Kool-Aid!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
It's pretty easy to turn your neck in a collar if you really want...
but if you have a neck injury, and it hurts, why would you want to?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
but if you have a neck injury, and it hurts, why would you want to?

Ding ding ding we have a winner!

Self splinting is more effective than our ridiculous methods.

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
signno.gif

The perfect response. It 'says' everything I was thinking after reading that post(#20)

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Oxygen is a specific treatment for patients who are hypoxic; it is not a "general treatment" for patients who are unwell or injured and does not necessarily provide benefit.

If oxygen is not required it should not be given end of story, if it is required it should be given in the lowest concentration effective to maintain SpO2 of > 94%

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Oxygen is a specific treatment for patients who are hypoxic; it is not a "general treatment" for patients who are unwell or injured and does not necessarily provide benefit.

If oxygen is not required it should not be given end of story, if it is required it should be given in the lowest concentration effective to maintain SpO2 of > 94%

I think your statement leaves out the need for high concentration oxygen in CO poisoning and hyperbaric therapy. :)

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
I think your statement leaves out the need for high concentration oxygen in CO poisoning and hyperbaric therapy. :)

True, but I think it also comes down to using your head; for patients who require higher concentrations of oxygen via a reservoir mask then if 10 litres is the "lowest concentration" they require then that is what they require.

There was a point in the old procedures for smoke or toxic gas inhalation to give oxygen via reservoir mask at 10-15 lpm but it is no longer there.

I've only seen one CO poisoning, a young guy 20 or so, about three years ago, was pretty much a case of give oxygen and take to hospital.