Overseas employment

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
No worries guys.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
@WiserOne
I know I am late to the party but I am currently making ~90k/year to be a flight medic state side.

I am interested interested in going to the Middle East only if it makes economic sense. So, I speak the language and am from and understand the culture. Will I be in demand?

Your question is better in this thread. There are flight opportunities, but I'm not sure how much you're looking to get overseas. If you're making 90k and able to be home every night I'd say you're doing just fine, but that's strictly my opinion.
@akflightmedic may be able to help you out there with some of your specific questions regarding flight services.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I am around and a mere PM away....

But making 90K and being stateside...you are already top of the market. You will not exceed that by going abroad. If the money is not the concern, if the desire is for adventure...then there are possibilities and some new crazier/extreme ones very soon.

But you will take a financial hit unless you stay out of US and claim the foreign earned income exemption.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Yea, at 90k - especially if you have retirement benefits you're at the top of the food chain there.

In Qatar, I'm doing about 110k-120k with OT and extra. The hours can be long, and the schedule is a bit exhausting, the perpetual dust/hazy and solid tan/brown color everywhere is old, and wearing a skinsuit to go swimming locally is blah for all the small jellyfish,... BUT..

One, tax benefits of being OCONUS.
Two, I'm now dating a russian lady who was living in Almaty Kazakhstan and now is in Belgorod Russia.
Three, I did a vacation to Almaty Kazakhstan - a place that was pretty interesting but never on my radar.
Four, I did a vacation to Abu Dhabi and Dubai, way out of my US travel plans. Oh, and I saw a Bon Jovi concert in Abu flippin Dhabi.
Five, I'm now planning a six day vacation in November and am looking at Istanbul, Athens, Tbilisi, and Glasgow (with birthday on Islay...)
Six, I already paid off 6k of credit cards and put 4k into my retirement account.
Seven, it is MUCH safer here than in Baltimore. Except maybe for the driving.
Eight, my coworkers are all top-notch and there are no lazy-posterior efftards working here.
..I've been here since 7Jun.

You could say I'm pretty happy and loving life. I just miss real pulled pork, babyback ribs, and such. But thats what vacations are for.

PS: They are hiring in general, and right now flight experience and an American passport is a hot commodity if you like international flights and retrievals... The recruitment however, is long and painful.

PPS: SandPit is a dork.. I get to Abu Dhabi, and he's on flipping vacation and not there to meet up with for a beer.

Last edited:

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Haha! How many people can say "I saw Bon Jovi in Abu Dhabi!" ??? Awesome!

I hope you had a blast, sorry I missed you bud!

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I saw Billy Ocean in Dubai!!

Awesome concert and the man can still move it....great pipes and a lot of great tunes bringing back even better memories...sad at how many people will have to google Billy Ocean to even know what I am talking about.

tatt2dmedic

Forum Ride Along
Hey, kinda tagging in on this one late, but am wondering what overseas jobs are available at the moment?
I got laid off from ISOS after four and half years due to the price of oil translating into lack of jobs and I'm not digging working stateside. Internet searches don't turn up much, I know the industry is hurting at the moment, but any help would be great!
CV available upon request, of course....but at a glance... 15 + years as a paramedic, two tours in Afghanistan with KBR, 4 + years with ISOS in Africa, Middle East, Eastern Europe. I have HUET, BOSIET, DMT (Diver Medic Tech), the usual certs (NR-P, PALS, ACLS, BLS, PHTLS, NRP, state medic cert). I am currently in a CCT class and with a little luck and a lot of studying, hope to have my CCT-P and FP-C certs before the end of the year.

Oh... and I know who Billy Ocean is and I've been to Dubai... if that helps...

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Have you tried the job search sites? There used to be one for oil & offshore specifically. ETA- rigzone.

Is CalDive still around? Maybe TransOcean?

I'd say your best bet would be in the GOM if you want to stay with oil& gas. Or look direct through the big oil websites.

There may be some offshore threads on here with a little more info.

jaysonsd

Forum Crew Member
I am curious the process that lead you to ISOS. Hard to get noticed and about seven years behind you in regards to experience.

tatt2dmedic

Forum Ride Along
@Sandpit, yeah, not much luck on job search sites. The O&G industry is on its ear right now.
I'll have a look at the companies you mentioned. Also talking to Akflightmedic too, turns out we go back a bit.

@Jayson, a buddy I was in Afghanistan with got me on with ISOS. It's hard to get on with them simply due to the lack of contracts they have and the state of the industry. They've laid off s ****load of people recently and they'll pick from those people before going external. Better the devil you know. It's not a bad place to work, but it's not the best either. I saw someone likened them to AMR, and I'd say that's pretty fair.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Well, if you are with AK then you are in good hands.

Whether I love you or hate you I tell it like it is.. AK is a good dude, and his company is a staple in the contracting business. (Even though I want to, but have never worked with him).

The key is to never stop moving forward; never let anyone set your own limitations.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Working overseas is like living with your in laws... The perks are great, but the rest ****ing sucks.

I had a while thing written out, but unable to publish due to politics.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
-**wild

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Also talking to Akflightmedic too, turns out we go back a bit.

This is why I have said what I have said over the years many times in various ways. Do NOT burn bridges and be careful of what you say or do...contracting is a VERY small world. Reputations, behaviors, attitudes...they will follow you.

Seems we do go quite a ways back...well to 2008 anyways! We were in the same place working for the same company at that time...have not heard or seen you in many years and here we are.

I have passed on many people whose paths I have crossed because I knew them for what and who they were many years ago. This guy though....might try to find something for him!

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
This is why I have said what I have said over the years many times in various ways. Do NOT burn bridges and be careful of what you say or do...contracting is a VERY small world. Reputations, behaviors, attitudes...they will follow you.

Seems we do go quite a ways back...well to 2008 anyways! We were in the same place working for the same company at that time...have not heard or seen you in many years and here we are.

I have passed on many people whose paths I have crossed because I knew them for what and who they were many years ago. This guy though....might try to find something for him!

Good guy akflightmedic haha.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Every time I'm home for a little bit I get the itch!