Original or refresher?

CityEMT212

Forum Crew Member
Hi all,

My EMT cert expired in 2013. I was certified in 2010, and volunterred once a month at a local hospital for 6 months, and then 3 months at an EMS agency. But because I was unable to run after that, I let the card expire. Now I’m able to fully partake and want to start again. I have an EMT number but truly do not feel confident taking the refresher. I’ve already registered for an original course, but any advice? I can register for the refresher, I just am not sure which is best. Thanks all.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
How do you have an EMT number but yet your EMT cert expired in 2013?

OP
OP
CityEMT212

CityEMT212

Forum Crew Member
How do you have an EMT number but yet your EMT cert expired in 2013?

When I passed the test in 2010, I was issued a card with my number on it. I’m sorry, but I’m not sure if I’m understanding your question? Then my card was good for 3 years. I didn’t refresh in time. When I registered for the upcoming original course they advised me I can keep my EMT number, they would submit that request with my paperwork.

Did that answer your inquiry?

~ Estrella

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Oh. Usually when someone states that they have their number that means their cert is still valid

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I have a new york number, a NJ number, and a NC number, and to the best of my knowledge, those number is unique to me (and my NJ and NY certs have all since expired, but my NY number may have been recycled from someone else).

If your state will allow you to take a refresher, and then print you a new card, do it. if you can pass the state test without having been in EMS in almost 8 years, go for it. If you don't feel confident, I would take the entire class over again.

OP
OP
CityEMT212

CityEMT212

Forum Crew Member
I have a new york number, a NJ number, and a NC number, and to the best of my knowledge, those number is unique to me (and my NJ and NY certs have all since expired, but my NY number may have been recycled from someone else).

If your state will allow you to take a refresher, and then print you a new card, do it. if you can pass the state test without having been in EMS in almost 8 years, go for it. If you don't feel confident, I would take the entire class over again.

Thanks for the advice. I have decided to take the original course again, and it was the right decision. It's neat you have certs in 3 states - but I have to ask, does a National card not cover that? Or, I guess some states still require their own certs. That makes sense...

I appreciate your feedback. Thanks again.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
It's neat you have certs in 3 states - but I have to ask, does a National card not cover that? Or, I guess some states still require their own certs. That makes sense...
With my NJ card I was able to get a NY card by filling out paperwork when I moved to NY. I moved back to NJ, worked there for several years, and then moved to NC, where they gave me a card after filling out paperwork. When I was looking to move to NC, I got my NREMT, just because I thought it would make things easier, but they would have accepted my NR or NJ card.

ALL states require their own certs. NR doesn't matter, unless your state recognizes it (many states will accept NR, and then give you a state card as a result). Many states use the NR exam as their exam, but it's still up to the state to determine if you get a card or not.

I like the NREMT because it opens doors for you should you chose to go elsewhere, and they give you a cert suitable for framing and hanging on your wall. It might even help if your employer is looking to NR certified people, especially when job hunting for the first job.

But if you are never planning on leaving the state, it's generally better to save your money and take the state exam (which are usually cheaper or free)

Last edited:
OP
OP
CityEMT212

CityEMT212

Forum Crew Member
With my NJ card I was able to get a NY card by filling out paperwork when I moved to NY. I moved back to NJ, worked there for several years, and then moved to NC, where they gave me a card after filling out paperwork. When I was looking to move to NC, I got my NREMT, just because I thought it would make things easier, but they would have accepted my NR or NJ card.

ALL states require their own certs. NR doesn't matter, unless your state recognizes it (many states will accept NR, and then give you a state card as a result). Many states use the NR exam as their exam, but it's still up to the state to determine if you get a card or not.

I like the NREMT because it opens doors for you should you chose to go elsewhere, and they give you a cert suitable for framing and hanging on your wall. It might even help if your employer is looking to NR certified people, especially when job hunting for the first job.

But if you are never planning on leaving the state, it's generally better to save your money and take the state exam (which are usually cheaper or free)

Truly, this is slightly dizzying. NR doesn't matter because each state determines on their own the issuance of their card. A bit of hoop jumping but I understand states govern EMS differently. I'm just happy to be in the course as is - and renew my service. If I (ever) move to another state, I'd be sure to adhere to their guidelines.

I wonder what Puerto Rico's are - as I dream of living there.

:)