1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.
    Dismiss Notice

Oral glucose to non diabetic

Discussion in 'EMS Talk' started by Caspar, Jan 7, 2017.

1. gotbeerz001

gotbeerz001 Forum Deputy Chief

California

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. VentMonkey

VentMonkey Forum Deputy Chief Premium Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    Citing?
    All around, this is crudely right, or at least par for the course with most EMT classes.

Also, I think high flow O2 via NRB still very much has a time and place (traumatic brain injured patients with intact gags are probably the best example), however, if we're still talking about the ALS providers shipping BLS patients and telling you to put them on "high flow" because they charted it, and it will "make them feel better" then that's just poor care, and not reflective of the paramedicine I'd want to associate myself with.

EpiEMS and Jim37F like this.
  3. EpiEMS

EpiEMS Forum Deputy Chief

Education:
    EMT
    Agreed, as you said, this is what is generally taught (in CT, NH, and NYS). I am under the impression that this (administering oral glucose if the "potentially" hypoglycemic patient is alert and has an intact gag reflex) is generally sound practice (absent a glucometer).

4. johnrsemt

johnrsemt Forum Deputy Chief

Education:
    Paramedic
    Remember no one is diabetic until the first time: so just because they have no history, doesn't mean that it is new to them.

Treat the Patient

Remi likes this.
  5. E tank

E tank Forum Crew Member

First time declaring diabetic most likely will present with hyper or hypoglycemia? Do you have to be diabetic to have symptomatic hypoglycemia?

6. Caspar

Caspar Forum Crew Member

Education:
    EMT
    Wouldn't a first time diabetic present with signs of hyperglycemia? Can't you become hypoglycemic if you just don't eat?

7. Flying

Flying Mostly Ignorant

Education:
    EMT
    Technically yes, but the body will catabolize its tissues to prevent that, and at some point you're just starving. Using your glucose reserve faster than you can replenish it will lead to hypoglycemia, hence insulin and exercise-induced hypoglycemia.