1. Tired of seeing ads? Click here to register today and the ads go away. It's completely FREE, too!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Can't find what you're looking for? Use the search bar in the upper right corner.
    Dismiss Notice

Oral glucose to non diabetic

Discussion in 'EMS Talk' started by Caspar, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Caspar

Caspar Forum Crew Member

Education:
    EMT
    If a patient is a nondiabetic and is exhibiting signs of hypoglycemia, can you give oral glucose?

2. VentMonkey

VentMonkey Crackpot Premium Member

Education:
    Paramedic
    Is this a homework/ test question?o_O

NysEms2117 and CALEMT like this.
  3. hometownmedic5

hometownmedic5 Forum Captain

Education:
    Paramedic
    This is most likely going to be a state by state type of answer, as all protocols aren't created equal.

In my state(MA), if you work for s service not carrying glucometers(really guys, its 2017. Get with it), you could as the indications for its use don't require a known Hx of hypoglycemia, only the presentation of hypoglycemia. The protocols specifically mention Tx of 70mg/do and below, but I know there are still services out there unable to asses that. Keep in mind that nobody was a diabetic until they were, so its possible you just happen to be encountering this patient as they experience this wonderful disease for the first time.

4. NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic formerly DEmedic

Education:
    Paramedic
    If they have low blood sugar. Sure.

If they're NOT a diabetic, chances of them being hypoglycemic are pretty low. Go back in your book and look up the differentials for altered mental status and tell us why it's NOT appropriate to give a non diabetic oral glucose.

Gurby likes this.
  5. Caspar

Caspar Forum Crew Member

Education:
    EMT
    No I had a patient like this. Bgl was in the 40s, near syncope

6. VentMonkey

Education:
    Paramedic
    Then, yes, if they can tolerate (intact gag) swallowing sugar 'em up.

NomadicMedic likes this.
  7. hometownmedic5

Education:
    Paramedic
    Ahh, the good old AEIOU-TIPS.

Fun times.....

VentMonkey likes this.
  8. Gurby

Gurby Forum Asst. Chief

Education:
    Paramedic
    The phrase "exhibiting signs of hypoglycemia" gives me the anger :mad: Are they hypoglycemic or not? What sad pathetic joke of a company doesn't give their EMT-B's glucometers?

NomadicMedic likes this.
  9. hometownmedic5

Education:
    Paramedic
    If the posts I've read on this forum are representative, most of California...

10. Gurby

Gurby Forum Asst. Chief

Education:
    Paramedic
    Why even have BLS ambulances? Give Uber drivers an AED and bottle of O2, call it "UberMed", I bet your outcomes will be about the same.

11. Chris07

Chris07 Competent in Incompetence

Education:
    EMT
    Not all ambulances in California even carry AEDs so your UberMed concept is already winning.

EpiEMS and Gurby like this.
  12. Jim37F

Jim37F Forum Deputy Chief

Education:
    EMT
    The highly invasive skill of BSG is only entrusted to our highly trained paramedics in my county

VentMonkey likes this.
  13. StCEMT

StCEMT Forum Deputy Chief

Education:
    Paramedic
    Hey man, we can't just be letting basics do these invasive procedures on people. They might bleed uncontrollably. Too much risk.

Jim37F likes this.
  14. VentMonkey

Education:
    Paramedic
    Didn't "UberMed" force their own thread to close on here?...
    I see what you did there, Jimbo;).

Jim37F likes this.
  15. AtlasFlyer

AtlasFlyer Forum Captain

Education:
    EMT
    Marion Co, Indiana (city of Indy) JUST now has granted EMTs the ability to use glucometers. Yes, really. It's brand-spanking new, and we have to do *both* an online training course and a hand's-on to get signed off to actually use it.

16. Kevinf

Kevinf Forum Captain

Pennsylvania as well.

17. VentMonkey

Education:
    Paramedic
    Misery loves company:).

18. DesertMedic66

DesertMedic66 Forum Troll

Education:
    Paramedic
    I as a paramedic must be present to supervise my EMT in obtaining a BGL. You know, incase they try to poke the patients eye... those darn EMTs.

Jim37F, Gurby and VentMonkey like this.
  19. Jim37F

Jim37F Forum Deputy Chief

Education:
    EMT
    Anyways, beyond the ridiculousness of an over the counter test non medically trained lay persons are expected to perform on themselves regularly being to invasive for EMTs in many areas....circling back to the OPs question, what I was taught was that if you had a patient who you believed to be hypoglycemic to give sugar (as long as their alert enough to eat a tube of our oral glucose) as its harder to hurt someone with too much sugar, vs someone can rapidly deteriorate and even die with a too low sugar. At least that was what was taught in EMT class (alongside such gems as every ACS or ALOC pt should be placed on high glow O2)

20. SpecialK

SpecialK Forum Captain

If you are not diabetic it is not physiologically possible to become symptomatically hypoglycaemic, unless of course, you've poisoned yourself with a medicine capable of doing this (for example insulin), you are a child under five years of age with significant infection, or you have a giant insulinoma.