Oral boards gone wrong.

EMSMegan

Forum Ride Along
Today I had my oral boards to get into paramedic class. I think they went terribly My medical practical went fine. When it came to the trauma practical the instructor was really rude right off the bat. He looked at me like I was an idiot and afterwards said "you must have absolutely no experience" in a really rude tone. I told him I do in fact have field experience in a really polite way.

After that blow to the ego I went to oral boards. They first asked me questions about myself which I felt fine answering. Then they started asking me knowledge based questions. The first was related to triage. The interviewer asked me about a specific acronym that I was unfamiliar with. I told him honestly that I was unsure, but I would be sure to look it up. Right after I left the interview I did look it up. It wasn't even in my book. Not to mention one of the female interviewers kept pursing her lips and rolling her eyes at me the whole time. The next question was about diabetes which is one of my weaknesses. She asked the difference about type one and type two. again I was honest and said I couldn't recall which was which but i still explained the different types.

I just felt so discouraged by the way the interviewers were looking at me. I'm not a stupid person...and I feel really upset when people think that I am. The head woman walked me out and pretty much told me I scored high enough on my written, and practicals to get in. I know I got in. I just feel so stupid and embarrassed.

Has anyone has an experience similar to this or have any advice on how to handle this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Asimurk

Forum Captain
The only thing that comes to mind is a story I heard a supervisor doing in a (non EMS) job. The manager of a store essentially said, "You don't know what you're doing, I don't want you working here," when it was his first day as a supervisor.

As an EMT you won't know a whole lot, learn as much as you can, and keep with it, don't get discouraged.

LostViet408

Forum Crew Member
I read online somewhere that they use facial expression as you described as a stress test on interviews when they hire people for a job.maybe thats their stress test to see how you handle stressful situations under whatever circumstances that is given to you. Just think of it as a test that you can deal with negative vibes. At least you held your posture with great attitude instead of being negative and gave up and storm out of the board. You never know, just take this as a lesson learned and take it with a grain of salt. Hope you get into the program.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
My oral boards for paramedic class consisted of telling the registration counselor I want in the Paramedic class.

Oral boards to get into paramedic class? That's a little too much...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
My oral boards for paramedic class consisted of telling the registration counselor I want in the Paramedic class.

Oral boards to get into paramedic class? That's a little too much...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same way with me! The only time I had to do oral boards was when we did state skills at the end of class, and again when we got released to function independently.

MedicBender

Forum Captain
I felt the same way after practicing for my NREMT oral boards for my paramedic practical. I passed, but it felt more like dodging a bullet then actually passing.

Don't worry, like everyone has said before, keep practicing and keep learning.

Having to do oral boards to get into medic school is probably a good thing. When I started I was 1 of maybe 5 people in a class of 25 that had any experience. There were some dumb*** people in my class. We spent the first 2 weeks answering questions such as... What are back boards? What's SAMPLE? Will I actually have to stick people with needles?!?!... It was frustrating

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Back when... I was also interviewed for entry to the Paramedic program. Twice. I failed the first one and passed the second. While I don't recall the specifics, I know that money wasn't a consideration for why I was denied the first time and passed on the second. Much of what they're probably looking for is that you know that you don't know stuff and are willing to look it up and learn about it than try to blow some BS and lie about your knowledge (or lack thereof). They know they can provide you with the information they're asking you and testing you on... So they're probably trying to see that you're willing to learn and that you'll perform under stress.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Ask them later, if it bothers you that much.

Put them on the other end of the stick, gently. Don't be hostile, but after you get going in the system, if you see one of them (say, start stalkig their parking lot:ph34r:) just say "Man, I felt like you guys were going to freeze me out there" or something. You might or might not get a rueful grin, or you moight see that they are power trippers and will continue to stonewall. Either way, as long as you get what you want out of the deal and no laws are broken, blow it off and go for it.

Maybe those apparently too far ahead questions were to try to spot returning ringers and know-it-alls?