Opinions on Medical Explorer Post

Wax

Forum Probie
How do you feel about having such programs?

If you ever had an explorer ride on your shift are they helpful or in the way.

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
seeing as how i dont have my license yet i've never had a explorer with me but myself I dont think it would be such a great idea. The legal issues of pt privacy and then kids seeing some of the things that we will see may affect them in a bad way. that is just my 2 cents though.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
One of the opinions on this site (that I share) is that the problem with explorer programs is that the participants are not mature enough to see some of the things they see.

Do a search. It's been discussed before.

Welcome to the site!

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
How do you feel about having such programs?

If you ever had an explorer ride on your shift are they helpful or in the way.

We have students from the health care technology programs offered at the local high schools in the ER from time to time and over the years I have seen very little immature or improper behavior. I have seen some giggles and laughs but that's to be expected these are kids and with some of the late night traumas we get its not hard to get the staff to act up which only leads to everyone acting like children. Its all good and the kids always have a great time. To be honest I have seen worse behavior with the basic and medic students who are all over eighteen and should know by the time they get to clinicals how to act in the ER setting.

I will often find the kids talking in the hallway and pull them in to sit with me while I record on traumas on the adult side. Its pretty cool to watch how they react to their first trauma and like most of us they get hooked and its a done deal. I think the biggest problem is that most of the kids are pretty shy and need to be helped along but once they get into the groove they have a good time. These are juniors and seniors that are interested in pursuing careers in the health care field and have some classroom time in before coming into the ER. We are a teaching hospital and a county facility so privacy is the last thing I would be worried about. As far as seeing things that may affect them in a bad way, we deal in life and death in the real world this ain't you tube or grand theft auto. Many of these students walk away with a strong sense of direction and will continue on into higher education which is something we all want to see.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
When I was a fire explorer I got to ride along on all the calls (medical or fire) (never had a fire by the way). Yah I got to see a lot of bad things. And a lot of the time I just sat there quietly observing how the tech interacted with the Pt. Over time as the crew got to know me I was allowed to take a pulse or a BP since I had been trained to by the department. Never did a formal HIPPA class but it was drilled into our heads not to share details about the calls. Ill admit I saw a lot of bad stuff (DOA, attempted suicide, grinder to thigh), but I learned real fast that being a firefighter/EMT is something that I want to do.

Sadly im still not a firefighter yet and I refuse to do private EMS. So im pre-nursing and working my way towards a career as a flight nurse till I either die or become a firefighter.

So in a nut shell I think an explorer EMS program can do a lot of good for people wondering if this is something they want to do.

(Please don't bring up "Fire/EMS is bad". That topic has been beaten to a pile of mush)

Last edited by a moderator:

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
I wouldnt allow my child to do any ride alongs with police fire or EMS until she is an adult. To many variables, scenes are unpredictable and I wouldnt put my child or anyone elses in a potentialy dangerous enviorment.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I was an explorer. (fire and EMS)

Yes there is a lot of unpredictability, yes the environment is dangerous, but from my experience, no more than a bunch of teenagers exploring life without some kind of adult supervision on any given weekend.

Considering the number of explorers injured or killed in any given year, I would argue it is safer than sports like cheerleading and football.

As for maturity it's all about perspective. Some are more mature. Some might be forced into maturity. But look at some of the issues that arise with child athletes. Particularly figure skaters and gymnasts. I have met people who used pharmacologic therapy to delay puberty, bulemia, anorexia nervosa and all manner of psychologic disturbances requiring "sports psychology" therapy.

Not every indvidual is capable of being an explorer in medicine and emergency services. In my experience, the amount of people who stay after 1 or 2 shifts are truly dedicated. It is not much different than a parent who takes their kid to work. Especially in industries such as farming, landscaping, or fishing.
Nobody flips out when some 14 year old gets his hand caught in a snowblower, foot run over by a lawn mower, or impaled by whatever the hook used for gripping hay is called.

How about "youngest to sail around the world" feats? I can't think of too may things more dangerous than that. Except perhaps junior ATV racing or junior rodeo.

I am not fanatical enough to tell people what their kids should or shouldn't be permitted to do. I only ask the same courtesy in return.

18G

Paramedic
I think these programs are great. I got my start in a fire explorers program. Yes, there is some immaturity but that's to be expected. Part of these programs objectives is to teach kids how to be responsible and help them become more mature.

Im not sure if they still do, but our hospital had a health explorers program and I never heard anything bad about there program. Teenagers can handle more than they are given credit for.

I would be an advocate of these programs and would encourage my own kids to become involved if its something they were interested in.

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
I am not saying that it shouldn't be done. I just believe that there should be a HIPAA class so they understand about the laws that we have to abide by. About the part where I said that some of the things that we see as emt's and medics affecting kids in a bad way. Well I know some kids could handle it but some may be damaged to where they need psychological help. What if they go on a call and its one of their friends or relatives. Yes we have to deal with this also but we have matured and seen things already and a childs mind even a teenagers is not like ours.

FLEMTP

Forum Captain
An EMS explorer program is a great way also to show some good public relations for your dept, while at the same time getting kids to volunteer their time towards a great cause, and, quite possibly giving them some valuable training and experience. Even if they decide to not work in the medical field again, they've got some great first aid/cpr training. If they do, they've got a jump start on many people going into school.. .actual patient contact!

Yes, the liability is high, and parents should understand this. It also depends on where you're working at. Starting an explorer post and letting kids ride along on the streets of detroit or los angeles... bad idea.... but maybe letting kids ride along on a not so busy agency.. or a rural agency would be great.

Not to mention, sometimes its nice to have an extra pair of hands in the back, even if its just minimal training. Thats someone to do CPR on scene, or squeeze a BVM for you.

I think if it is started for the right reasons, and has the right advisers, and its done at the right agency, it can be a great thing!

PS- this is also how I got my start in EMS, i was on an ambulance at the age of 15!

minneola24

Forum Lieutenant
Here is an example of one being used in Darien, CT

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIkEf2Wu9B4&feature=fvw[/YOUTUBE]

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
No, that's not an explorer program. They are actual certified EMTs by the state.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
One of the opinions on this site (that I share) is that the problem with explorer programs is that the participants are not mature enough to see some of the things they see.

Proof?

What makes you more mature than them to be able to handle it? What makes me more mature? The whole 5 years I have on a 16 yo? Does that make me all the much better to handle life or death situations? Does that mean a 42yo is twice as good as me at making those decisions?

Don't generalize.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Oh okay, but it shows what under 18 kids can handle.
What shows that when your over 18 someone can handle an emergency situation? Nothing magical happens when someone becomes 18. I will say it does take a level of maturity to handle EMS but just because someone is 18 or older does not mean they have that maturity. (it also goes the other way around).

OP
OP
W

Wax

Forum Probie
Most Explorer Post are set up in case something happens that's overwhelming to the explorer he/she will be pulled off the truck by a supervisor and will be talk to..

Cory

Forum Captain
I disagree, I think that if someone has enough interest and enough insight into EMS to be doing an explorer program in their teenage years, then they are fully aware that they will see disturbing things. I'm an example of this. The number of teens I know that know what EMS stands for or that it is in relation at all with "ambulance drivers" is very slim. Psychology doesn't always account for some people's natural resilliance. If they were squeamish, they wouldn't be riding in an ambulance for fun/learning!

As an example, we had a three year old boy start to dorwn at the pool where I work last summer. Four lifeguards shyed away from helping him before I got there with a mask. Afterwards, they said it was because of the vommit and the "lifeless look of his face". I said that none of it phased me, because I was well aware this was natural for someone in his situation and that doesn't scare me, and being underwater when he stopped breathing, I expected him to look like that before he was even pulled out. It's not all about age, it's about a person's nature. Someone who signs up for an EMS explorer program knows what they're getting into, at least enough to know that they will see people in bad shape.

Last edited by a moderator: