One of the biggest EMS dilemmas of all time

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
when i did my ride outs for school all the ambulances had a radio in the front that would play thru the speakers in the back of the rig. there was a volume and an on and off switch for the radio right next to the suction unit.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Took a patient from the hospital to a rehab facitlity, in one of our newest transport units. the patient heard the radio in the front, and asked if we could put it louder so he could hear, but our truck lacked that capability.

a complaint was filed that went to my director, Operations Cooridinator, and person in charge of maintenance about the issue. maybe the next ambulance we get will have speakers

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Honestly, that sounds like someone looking for something to complain about. That is like someone complaining that the lights in the ambulance are LED, or that the gurney is yellow.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Honestly, that sounds like someone looking for something to complain about. That is like someone complaining that the lights in the ambulance are LED, or that the gurney is yellow.

LED lights and a yellow gurney?

That is so not stylish...

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain
We have the ability to play music, and for nursing home folks and pediatrics.... it is quite nice.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
You might be right. However, I agree with the patient 100% on this topic, and upper management has a bad habit of ignoring what field providers say, especially if it will cost any money.

but if a customer makes the complaint........

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
LED lights and a yellow gurney?

That is so not stylish...

Yup, nor functional. We all know incandescent have the best color rendition. :p

firetender

I'm guilty of having taken Vene's post lightly, but, in part, I hid because I'm not too crazy about telling you my truth either!

Long before there was us there was music. It was a medicine. People knew and took the time to learn when and how best to use it. There are people out there who are doing that right now. Maybe there's something to learn from them. It's something you could learn to use, NOT JUST TURN ON, but choose to benefit your patients.

If you use every tool at your disposal consciously, you can also be instrumental in setting the scene for recovery for the patient. Have you ever considered how much energy a person uses just OVERCOMING their own fears? As background behind supportive words and motions, music can significantly affect the rapidity of their ability to accept the next phase.

The name of the game is to have the patient leave your ambulance in a MORE receptive state than when they got in; it's all about establishing continuity of care. Besides, there are many cases where the very BEST you can do is calm the patient down. Why neglect such a potent tool?

I got this thing I can't shake; I see this work as an ART.

Last edited by a moderator:

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
On the opposite side of Firetender's coin (just playing Devil's advocate) what if the music you play taps an entirely different range of emotions? We all know how powerful music can be, but what if the wrong music is used at the wrong time? Music is often very open to interpretation; interpretation which sometimes distorts or completely disregards the message behind the words.

firetender

On the opposite side of Firetender's coin (just playing Devil's advocate) what if the music you play taps an entirely different range of emotions? We all know how powerful music can be, but what if the wrong music is used at the wrong time? Music is often very open to interpretation; interpretation which sometimes distorts or completely disregards the message behind the words.

If you look at/listen to the background music in movies; have you ever heard of someone in the audience getting a completely different take on the music and freaking out about it? The music's application would be subtle, not brazen. Something like that.

Last edited by a moderator: