On duty firefighters prohibited from smoking

crash_cart

Forum Crew Member
....at least in the fine city of Grand Island. You can read about it here.

Hughes says firefighters who smoke aren’t being good role models. Another factor in creating the new policy was that many fires are started by mishandled cigarettes or other smoking devices.

Under the department’s current smoking policy, on-duty firefighters can smoke outside the city’s four fire stations during breaks.

If break time isn't truly theirs, then they should be compensated for that time. O.K., where's the coffee?<_<

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
If they want to smoke they should be required to sign a waiver that if they get cancer, it can't be tied to the job. See how that goes over.

vquintessence

Forum Captain
If they want to smoke they should be required to sign a waiver that if they get cancer, it can't be tied to the job. See how that goes over.

Amen.

They should feel fortunate to be able to smoke. FF's around here (MA) will no longer be hired if they smoke; of course the older fella's are grandfathered in.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I feel it also has something to do with respecting the patients who don't smoke. If someone who came into your house possibly smelling disgusting to you how confident would you be in that person. Or willing to let them help.

Least that is a side of the argument that I have heard fairly often.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Good job. I also think that should be implemented in all EMS. In fact all healthcare providers should be setting the example of healthy life styles.

JPINFV

Gadfly
If break time isn't truly theirs, then they should be compensated for that time. O.K., where's the coffee?<_<

Wrong. A company can restrict the activity of any on duty employee, especially when there is a reasonable expectation that the employee will be linked to the company. For example, when I was in high school I worked at a local movie theater in a large outdoor mall (for the record, the Irvine Spectrum is not a strip mall) when an anti-war protest was going on. One of the box office employees wanted to participate during her unpaid 30 minute lunch break. She was told to not bother coming back if she did since her joining the march while in uniform and coming and going from the theater would link her views to theater. It might be unfair, but life isn't fair to begin with.

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
The city of Rogers, AR FD has you sign an affidavit saying you do not smoke or will not smoke on their time.

....at least in the fine city of Grand Island. You can read about it here.