Oklahoma Trooper Suspended Over Scuffle With Paramedic

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
"An Oklahoma trooper accused of using excessive force while stopping and arresting a paramedic will receive a five-day suspension without pay for his actions, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol announced Wednesday. SOURCE: Fox News

Seems like a slap on the wrist to me.

8jimi8

CFRN
maybe they would let us all line up and choke him for 5 days?

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Should have lost his job. Should never have had it in the first place.

They should seriously evaluate the kind of people they take into their service.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Given how the last 6 threads on this topic went, I figured I'd get this in early.

Keep this thread on topic, and refrain from bashing on LEO's or any other emergency service provider and this thread can remain open.

Otherwise, it will be closed and merged into the original thread.

signadmin1.gif

8jimi8

CFRN
http://newsok.com/trooper-gets-5-day-suspension/article/3387383?custom_click=lead_story_photo

not sure if this article in particular has been linked, in the other thread, but this one actually has the trooper's dashcam.

turns out the ambulance did let the guy pass pretty quickly. The trooper was just enraged because he thought he was given a "gesture."

If he didn't get one then, i'll give him one now. :GIANT MIDDLE FINGER BUDDY:

***admin feel free to censor my outraged antics. I was typing up my post while your's went up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
This thread will end like it always does-- locked with 4 of us receiving infractions.

Even still--

Is the officer at the wrong? Yup, but so is the paramedic and there can be no denial to that. None.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Is the officer at the wrong? Yup, but so is the paramedic and there can be no denial to that. None.

As was shown before, the paramedics mistakes were stupid but not illegal. They did NOT justify the officers illegal actions. The officer's overreaction shows he is not cut out to be an officer and his assault and battery should land him with criminal charges.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Let me get this right.

Telling a cop that you are NOT under arrest, when they say you are, isn't illegal?

Summit

Critical Crazy

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Says what? You're vast LE and Constitutional law knowledge?

In the very news article the OP posted
An internal investigation concluded that Trooper Daniel Martin was justified in stopping and arresting paramedic Maurice White during a traffic stop

Even IF you debate the legality of the stop, the streets are not the place to fight the arrest. Save it for the courts.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Says what? You're vast LE and Constitutional law knowledge?

In the very news article the OP posted

And who says it was a good arrest? Your vast LE and Constitutional law knowledge. It was a bad arrest. The DA did not want to prosecute. The LEO was put on desk duty immediatly and was suspended. OHP does not have a good record of policing itself.

Even IF you debate the legality of the stop, the streets are not the place to fight the arrest. Save it for the courts.
Oh... so... you are saying the cop should have waited to pull over an ambulance with a patient over thinking he was flipped off instead of hashing it out on the side of a highway? B)

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
And who says it was a good arrest? Your vast LE and Constitutional law knowledge. It was a bad arrest. The DA did not want to prosecute. The LEO was put on desk duty immediatly and was suspended. OHP does not have a good record of policing itself.

Actually, yes. I'm a CJ major. I have no where near the experience as some people such as AJ, but I'd like to think I know more then the average joe schmoe.

The DA chose not to prosecute because it would be of no benefit to to the public. DA's words, not mine.

The policies and procedures, and what is deemed in line with such, is up to the individual police agency. OHP said he was in the right, he was in the right. There is no further debate to that as far as they are concerned.

If it were deemed the slightest bit illegal, the cop would be fired and de-certified. PD's don't take a chance with officers that do things illegally.

Oh... so... you are saying the cop should have waited to pull over an ambulance with a patient over thinking he was flipped off instead of hashing it out on the side of a highway? B)

Nope, never said that. How was the officer to know that a patient was in the rig BEFORE pulling it over?

Summit

Critical Crazy
Nope, never said that. How was the officer to know that a patient was in the rig BEFORE pulling it over?

Notice how the officer never asked if there was a patient AFTER pulling it over? :p

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
He didn't have to. The paramedic was more then willing to jump out of the rig and tell him multiple times, along with how to do his job as a police officer and refuse direct legal orders from a peace officer.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm going to guess 5 hours.

5 hours until this thread is locked.

This will turn into a cop bashing/cop flag-waving thread.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
You're too generous.

I say much less. It just depends on when certain members decide to show up and cop bash.

Summit

Critical Crazy
He didn't have to. The paramedic was more then willing to jump out of the rig and tell him multiple times, along with how to do his job as a police officer and refuse direct legal orders from a peace officer.

Ought to be the first thing he asked. Instead he started berating the driver and swearing at him for a while until the Paramedic came out to ask him.

But I guess you are right. That Medic clearly deserved to be choked for not respecting the officer's abuse of authority.

And get off your "everyone who disagrees with me is a cop basher" horse. This is an EMS forum. We all work with cops and most of us have friends who are cops (I do). Most cops are good cops. There ARE bad cops who should not be cops. This OHP officer should not be a cop.

There are people who defend bad cops to the end, always seeking some justification or rationalization for how the officer was somehow not in the wrong. Watching you in the last thread, I'm afraid I count you in this category.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I've actually never seen flag-wavers... just people look at it with a more open mind.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Status
Not open for further replies.