Off topic: firefighter uniform question

RebelAngel

White Cloud
Yesterday was the first time since I've been with my boyfriend that I've seen him in full firefighter gear. He had a couple of green tags with a number on them in white lettering hanging on a hook through a hole in the back of his helmet. What are those and what is their purpose?

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm gonna bet that they are some type of accountability tags. When the firefighters go into a structure, they would hand off the tags to the incident commander or engineer so that the people in charge know where everyone is supposed to be. It is mainly so they can make sure everyone is accounted for if they have to evacuate or to determine who is trapped/missing.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I've most commonly seen it as done as one tag stays on the apparatus that the firefighter is assigned to and one is clipped to an "accountability board" that tracks the whereabouts of firefighters on the scene and what task/division they're assigned to.

OP
OP
RebelAngel

RebelAngel

White Cloud
I asked him yesterday, he also works for NYS doing fire inspection and control, and that's exactly what they are for, accountability.

Thanks everyone!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Same as coal miners, who have a higher on the job mortality.