Off duty and inebriated

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Let him die!

That's what we're talking about here, isn't it?

But then again, if you're sober enough to recognize that he WILL die if you do nothing, that means you're sober enough to do something.

If you're sober enough to do something and you stand around (or get crushed by all the off-duty medics running out of the bar!) well, maybe you should hope you never aspirate a hot dog at a bar. Scenario question; Is everyone present too drunk to be curious what made the person hit the floor in the first place?

If you can't discern the gravity of the situation and crank out relatively decent compressions while drunk (as you describe it because such things should be an automatic response by now don't you think?) then call 9-1-1 if you can...

BUT FOR YOURSELF!

What I have to comment on more than anything is that whether or not you wish to admit it, most of you have been "trained" to accept that the ABC's of emergency intervention start with "A"; AVOID LITIGATION.

It says so in the book, right? "Your only responsibility is while in uniform assigned to a specific call. Make sure you take the time to completely assess your liability, if anyone recognizes you as someone trained to save lives, and where the nearest exit is before you begin intervention."

Every time something like this comes up I ask the same question, and this has been going on since 2007 at least;

Who will show me the statistics on the number of medics sued over rendering emergency care off duty? What are the odds of you actually getting reamed over taking an action to preserve the life of your neighbor? Would somebody PLEASE provide evidence that the risk to yourself supersedes the needs of a person whose life is in danger?[/QUOTE]

Every time, no one can or chooses to provide the answer.

Maybe this time will be different.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Pretty much the deffinition of inebriated.

I can't remember the last time I was inebriated and able to use a phone well

I guess my point was this is the stuff that "good" news stories are made of. It's a situation I don't want to be around at all to start with.

You missed the point entirely. I would have to in a near coma to tell the 911 dispatcher that I am an EMT. I have no reason to do so, I have never identified myself as an EMT on any other 911 call I have placed, why start now?

The assumption is that when drunk, EMS providers will automatically self identify is just silly and completely unsubstantiated.

CFal

Forum Captain
"911 what's your emergency?"

"Adult male probably in his mid 40s just collapsed and is unresponsive at xyz bar and grill 211 main street sunnyville"

You pretty much all but say you have medical training.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

"Adult male probably in his mid 40s just collapsed and is unresponsive at xyz bar and grill 211 main street sunnyville"

If your completely wasted I doubt anyone will be able to put together a sentence like that, let alone say it without slurring

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

All I do is answer the questions, I don't go out of order. I try to be like every other caller, since that's what the system is designed for.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Good Sam doesn't cover gross negligence, and nothing says gross negligence like practicing medicine while intoxicated. You could do everything by the book and still be called into question because you were drunk.

Call 911 and if you have to, limit intervention to compressions. No names, no "I'm an EMT get outta the way!", and fade into the shadows as soon as the cavalry arrives.

CFal

Forum Captain
CPR is a bystander intervention, if you call 911 they will tell you how to do it. If you tell them you are in a bar and have been drinking and they still direct you to begin CPR than that is recorded and on them 100%

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Good Sam doesn't cover gross negligence, and nothing says gross negligence like practicing medicine while intoxicated. You could do everything by the book and still be called into question because you were drunk.

Call 911 and if you have to, limit intervention to compressions. No names, no "I'm an EMT get outta the way!", and fade into the shadows as soon as the cavalry arrives.

If you did everything by the book, how would that meet the definition of negligence?