Obtaining BGL

EMS123

Forum Crew Member
It is within an EMT-B's scope of practice in NY, with Medical Director approval and training.

BloggerMedic51

Forum Ride Along
I've never understood why obtaining a BLG isn't a BLS skill in some places (there area also some states where SpO2 is ALS only). While I get that some things need to be advanced skills, obtaining a BGL and pulse ox aren't among them in my opinion. Lay people can be taught in about a minute how to give a glucagon shot, why not an EMT? Some of the rules we have in EMS are just plain silly.

EMT-Tony

Forum Probie
My service allows it due to a variance course, because because BLS at my service can administrate oral glucose (of course) and Glucagon

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
It is within an EMT-B's scope of practice in NY, with Medical Director approval and training.

This.

NY State has put it into the scope of practice for EMTs, but it is only useable if the agency medical director approves of it and the agency provides formal training to their providers.

In New York City, they have not yet adopted glucometry for BLS. I wish they would, because all too often I get called as a backup for an "AMS" only to show up and rule out CVA because the BLS crew thought they may be a diabetic. This could hinder the transport of a critical CVA by 10-20 minutes.

EMS123

Forum Crew Member
For all the states that dont allow basics to do BGL is just one more reason for a basic to work hard and move up the EMS ladder towards Paramedic.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
For all the states that dont allow basics to do BGL is just one more reason for a basic to work hard and move up the EMS ladder towards Paramedic.

Honestly, I always found it absolutely insulting to EMTs that they are not permitted to perform a skill that is expected of a 90 year old woman to do on her on 3 times a day.

A monkey humping a football could work a glucometer, and there really is no safety issue with the lancets, it is impossible to stick a patient and yourself with a one time use disposable lancet, and if someone were to stick themself by mistake, its a clean needle.

Like i said above, I have had many a stroke patient in my short time as a medic that could have had 20 minutes shaved off their transport time had the BLS crew had use of a glucometer.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Is obtaining a PT's Blood Glucose Level as an EMT-B in ANYONE'S scope of practice?? ? ? ? ? ? ?:blink:

Common Basics scope across Texas:

o2
AED
Asprin
Albuterol
Syringe drawn EPI injected IM/SQ or EPI(If they have that instead)
Oral Glucose
Check BGL
King Airway
Nitro

All these can be given by basics, and are usually standing orders

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
I've never understood why obtaining a BLG isn't a BLS skill in some places (there area also some states where SpO2 is ALS only). While I get that some things need to be advanced skills, obtaining a BGL and pulse ox aren't among them in my opinion. Lay people can be taught in about a minute how to give a glucagon shot, why not an EMT? Some of the rules we have in EMS are just plain silly.

Can't do BGL or SPo2 here. Apparently I'm smart enough to tell the difference between pink and blue, but not read a number.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

R99

Forum Lieutenant
Here's what our emergency medical technician can do

Oxygen
OPA, NPA, LMA, PEEP
CAT
12 lead ECG
Aspirin
GTN
Oral glucose
Glucagon
Salbutamol
Ipatropium
Entonox
Methoxyflurane (where used)
Paracetamol
Ondansetron
Loratadine
Adrenaline

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Here's what our emergency medical technician can do

Oxygen
OPA, NPA, LMA, PEEP
CAT
12 lead ECG
Aspirin
GTN
Oral glucose
Glucagon
Salbutamol
Ipatropium
Entonox
Methoxyflurane (where used)
Paracetamol
Ondansetron
Loratadine
Adrenaline

Where is this? That is an absolutely unreal scope for an EMT compared to the rest of the US.

They can do a 12 lead, but no 3 lead? I imagine it is 100% machine interpreted then.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Where is this? That is an absolutely unreal scope for an EMT compared to the rest of the US.

They can do a 12 lead, but no 3 lead? I imagine it is 100% machine interpreted then.

New Zealand. Nothing like this exists for basics in the US.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief

In countries like Aus and NZ we don't really have a EMT-Basic level.

Our standard paramedic level is a mix between your EMT-I and Paramedic, with our Intensive Care Paramedics have a broader range of skills inclduing intubation, cardioversion, TCP, ketamine, amiodarone, magnesium, sodium bic etc.

The standard paramedic level here by the end of the year should be:

OPA/NPA/LMA
IVs
Glucagon/10% Glucose/Glucose Gel
Sodium Chloride 0.9%
Morphine
Methoxyflurane
Tylenol
Adrenaline (epi)
Midazolam (versed)
Ceftraixone (anti-biotic for meningicoccal disease)
Ventolin/Atrpvent
Metoclopromide/Ondansetron
Vitamin B12 for Cyanide poisoning
Magnesium Sulfate for envenomation only
Aspirin/Nitro
12 lead ECG / Defib
EtC02
Needle chest decompression on consult

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief

I am sure it is just them assisting the Medic with a 12-Lead, or putting it on for them and then letting them interpret