Obstetrics

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well, with EMS based fire suppression in Kalifornia, the emphasis is on buying more fire engines to run to medical calls than for equipment, training, or education.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
One of our medics at work has delivered two human babies and one fawn.
All deliveries went well.

A delivery from a mother with good prenatal care is one thing. But as Rid said a delivery from a high risk mother,(still quite prevalent in many places), is not something you want to do outside the hospital. I've had a fair bit of OB training the last few years from the courses I've taken and I will happily pass on a high risk birth. Way to many complications for my liking. Especially when you consider how little of the proper equipment is carried on most ambulances.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
<snip.
A delivery from a mother with good prenatal care is one thing. But as Rid said a delivery from a high risk mother,(still quite prevalent in many places), is not something you want to do outside the hospital. I've had a fair bit of OB training the last few years from the courses I've taken and I will happily pass on a high risk birth. Way to many complications for my liking. Especially when you consider how little of the proper equipment is carried on most ambulances.

Additionally... the high-risk mothers seem to wait and call 911 to get a ride to the hospital.... and they consider the ED doc their primary physician. The patients who are being followed with prenatal care tend to know what is happening and get driven to the hospital by their spouses/family.... not the AmbuTaxi!