O2 carrying requirements

JPINFV

Gadfly
I have been in EMS for the last two years...and I have never used activated charcoal on a rig...I did meet a paramedic intern that swore by it when we had a old guy that took a hand full of "Skittles"

Charcoal, protecting the elderly from one sugar rush at a time.

DevilDuckie

Forum Crew Member
When people are begging for a drink.. We could give them our expired charcoal!

medic417

The Truth Provider

Wow confessing to a crime in a public forum is not smart.

Hockey

Quackers

Do I have to bust out the Y SO SRS cat? I think this deserves it...

34dq821.jpg

He was joking. Jeesh

medic417

The Truth Provider

He was joking. Jeesh

Really? You can read his mind? He made no indication that it was a joke, so until proven otherwise his statement has to be taken as serious.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief

34dq821.jpg

He was joking. Jeesh

Ok how longs it going to be before that cat pulls a chimpanzee on your ***.

Scout

Para-Noid

And yes the oil in the thread is a bad idea, i had a friend working with AirProducts a while back show me a picture of one of their buildings that was literally blown up with one of the large cylinders of o2 blowing up.

From a practicle point of view cylinder are very safe. If your company have given you permission to carry and use it. Then all you would need to to look up the regs regarding carrying compressed gas in a motorized vehicle. There may be a requirement for the secure storage of prescription drugs too.

My personal stance on this would be a sticker identifying the fact there is a O2 cylinder aboard and store it so it cant roll or get flung around, not i'm not from your state so i dont know the right answer

DevilDuckie

Forum Crew Member

Wow, you're as serious as a man in a tub of rattler's. We use a powder that gets mixed with water anyway.. So, it would literally be like giving them a charcoal briquette to chew on.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Wow, you're as serious as a man in a tub of rattler's. We use a powder that gets mixed with water anyway.. So, it would literally be like giving them a charcoal briquette to chew on.

But it would be illegal. You are administering an expired drug.

DevilDuckie

Forum Crew Member
But it would be illegal. You are administering an expired drug.

I was kidding. Why are you being so difficult? It's not like I said remove his Spleen, 417.

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
I was kidding. Why are you being so difficult? It's not like I said remove his Spleen, 417.

Wow now threatening to take and practice illegal 4cutting on a patient.:p

medic417

The Truth Provider
You're a meanie beanie, seem to have a nac for it.

I apologize for joking with you. I will try and help you get educated in EMS without more humiliation. Again please accmept mk appology.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
In rural EMS we use the criteria of risk vs gain to determine what's appropriate. There are a number of risks to carrying O2 in a POV. How often are you going to use it? How long is it going to be used before an ambulance arrives on scene. If it's not being used often, what is the system for getting the bottles refilled and hydro'd? How well can you secure it in your vehicle. If you are securing it adequately, how easy is it going to be to free up when you need it?

In order to authorize my vollies to carry O2 in their POV, I would have to see a rash of pts, unable to get O2 often enough to show a need to change our existing policy. It needs to be done to meet a need in the public, not to simply reduce the responder's pucker factor. What is your average response time with a unit to the pt? How long is the average time a responder is with a pt before the arrival of a unit?

If you look at the facts, chances are the risks and liabilities of carrying O2 in a POV are not worth the limited number of possible advantages.

OP
OP
A140160

A140160

Forum Probie
Thanks for your responses. My question wasn't really all that pocused on me totally, but more towards the "wackers" in my company. Many of them have been pestering me (the younger ones that is) about if they are allowed to carry o2 in their vehicles. Our company has no regulations about them (honestly I believe the only time someone's carried on was the guy I mentioned before), and I am in no position to say that they can or can't per regulations. Mostly I was looking to see if there were some sort of restriction. Besides, hopefully the price of getting the o2 and then filling, etc. will discourage them. I'd rather not see them get themselves blown up responding to a call. I believe I shall inform them that it is a very bad decision and that if they really want to, they should talk to the chief about it. Thanks again.

HasTy

Forum Lieutenant
Charcoal, protecting the elderly from one sugar rush at a time.

Skittles is the street name around here for taking a bunch of different pills in one shot. At parties teens tend to just pour a bunch of pills in a bowl and eat them like candy hence the name skittles...

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
Skittles is the street name around here for taking a bunch of different pills in one shot. At parties teens tend to just pour a bunch of pills in a bowl and eat them like candy hence the name skittles...
Kids these days are so stupid, then they get incredibly sick and you ask them "what did you take" "I dunno" :angry:
I think sometimes we should just let nature take its course.

nightstar22

Forum Crew Member
i am in tennessee, and i have been carrying an o2 tank ever since i got my first responder license. the county ambulance service provided the tank for me, but i had to buy a regulator for it. they also provided me with the items for my jump bag. when i got my emt-iv license they provided me with iv supplies..

MRE

Forum Captain
Just yesterday I had a call for CO poisoning, and one of the police officers got to the scene before the ambulance and tried to administer O2 to the pt, only to find that his bottle was empty. He brought it to the station to exchange it for a full one and we noticed that the bottle had an expiration sticker on it for June of 06. Aparently they carried the O2 bag around but nobody bothered to check the bottle. A lot of help that was for us.

Most of our EMTs carry some kind of jump kit in their vehicles, since we are very rural and generally someone will get to the scene in a POV before the ambulance. None of these have O2, and most only carry basics like dressings, cling, cravats and the like.