O2 carrying requirements

A140160

Forum Probie
So I was wondering if it is possible for an EMT to carry o2 in their own personal vehicles as part of a set up for responding to calls in their own vehicle in Pennsylvania. The reason I ask is, being in a rural setting, we tend to come to patients that could benefit having some oxygen, and end up waiting for the ambulance to show up unless they have their own supply. I thought a guy from my company had/has one, but he also works at a school where he has a few, and he could have just grabbed one from there because he was responding to a diff. breath. about a minute away from the school. So my question is, is it legal to carry oxygen on board a personal vehicle, and if so, are there any requirements or restrictions?

medic417

The Truth Provider
Check with your state rather than trusting unknown online people.

Hastings

Noobie
Unauthorized possession and use of oxygen while off-duty is, at best, a horrible idea.

And I too live in a very rural setting.

Don't do it.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Search on the forums-- there have been discussions of this in the past-- that lay out the reasoning and ramifications behind what Hastings said much more clearly.

Good Luck

dan

medic417

The Truth Provider

trevor1189

Forum Captain
via American Red Cross CPR/AED for the professional rescuer.

Emergency oxygen units are available without presciption for first aid use, provided they contain at least a 15 minute supply of oxygen, and that they are designed to deliver a preset flow rate of at least 6 LPM. Oxygen cylinders are labeled "USP." and marked with a yellow diamond that says "Oxygen." The U.S.P. stands for United States Pharmacopeia and indicates the oxygen is medical grade..... and this continues.

Now, I understand some people are concerned with liability issues and I'm not going to get into that. I wouldn't carry O2 in my car though unless it was provided by my company. First of all, the cylinders and O2 aren't cheap. Second of all, you need to use precautions around O2 so you don't blow yourself up.

On the slight chance I would someday need it, I just don't think it is necessary.

I'm not "antiwacker," as some might say because I do keep a jump bag in my car most of the time that has all sorts of stuff. Cravats, 4x4s, 2x2s, bandages, all kinds of would dressings, burn kits, bp cuff, my littman card 3 scope, adult bvm, glucose, charcoal, heck it even has a c collar and ob kit and a bunch of other stuff like bee sting treatment, iodine & alcohol prep wipes, etc.

I just think O2 might be pushing it, but it really does depend on your circumstances I guess. Where I live you can pretty much get a MICU in less than 10 mins. So if I can bag them until on call member get there that is sufficient.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Legg

Forum Probie
Having trained in PA and returned later to work, I can honestly tell you that the stigma that will be attached to you will be EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to change. As stated lots of places on this site, word travels fast in the EMS world. Don't do it.

I highly doubt your company (ambulance company? fire?) will encourage members to carry O2. Your regional council may also have something to say about this.

Just some friendly advice.

John Legg
National EMS Association

reaper

Working Bum
via American Red Cross CPR/AED for the professional rescuer.

Emergency oxygen units are available without presciption for first aid use, provided they contain at least a 15 minute supply of oxygen, and that they are designed to deliver a preset flow rate of at least 6 LPM. Oxygen cylinders are labeled "USP." and marked with a yellow diamond that says "Oxygen." The U.S.P. stands for United States Pharmacopeia and indicates the oxygen is medical grade..... and this continues.

Now, I understand some people are concerned with liability issues and I'm not going to get into that. I wouldn't carry O2 in my car though unless it was provided by my company. First of all, the cylinders and O2 aren't cheap. Second of all, you need to use precautions around O2 so you don't blow yourself up.

On the slight chance I would someday need it, I just don't think it is necessary.

I'm not "antiwacker," as some might say because I do keep a jump bag in my car most of the time that has all sorts of stuff. Cravats, 4x4s, 2x2s, bandages, all kinds of would dressings, burn kits, bp cuff, my littman card 3 scope, adult bvm, glucose, charcoal, heck it even has a c collar and ob kit and a bunch of other stuff like bee sting treatment, iodine & alcohol prep wipes, etc.

I just think O2 might be pushing it, but it really does depend on your circumstances I guess. Where I live you can pretty much get a MICU in less than 10 mins. So if I can bag them until on call member get there that is sufficient.

You might want to pull the glucose and charcoal. If you use it, you are opening a can of worms.

BTW- You will not blow up with O2!

John Legg

Forum Probie
I haven't carried charcoal in years, much less EVER used it in prehospital settings.

John Legg
National EMS Association

trevor1189

Forum Captain
You might want to pull the glucose and charcoal. If you use it, you are opening a can of worms.

BTW- You will not blow up with O2!
It came with the kit, I wouldn't use it anyway. At least not until I'm certified. The only time I have used anything from my kit was on friends/family and occassionally....myself lol

And the O2 thing was just a joke lol. ^_^

medic417

The Truth Provider
It came with the kit, I wouldn't use it anyway. At least not until I'm certified. The only time I have used anything from my kit was on friends/family and occassionally....myself lol

And the O2 thing was just a joke lol. ^_^

Well actually keep oil away or is that the old wives tale?

reaper

Working Bum
Do you not have welders in your area? They carry a lot more compressed gas, then we ever do. It is called taking the safety precautions first.

Does a Whacker need O2 in their trunk? NO!!!!!!!!

But, it can be carried if needed.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
What happens if you roll over and the cylinder head breaks off?

I would say as long as it is well secured and in some sort of bag/case. The chance of that happening is pretty slim.

Now if your just talking about throwing a bare tank in your trunk and having it roll all over the place I wouldn't recommend it.

DevilDuckie

Forum Crew Member
I use a Flynn oxygen box, it's orange, holds two tanks. Heavy, but I have yet to run out.. and I can wait anywhere from an hour to two hours for an ambulance to get out here. Especially in the winter.

HasTy

Forum Lieutenant
I haven't carried charcoal in years, much less EVER used it in prehospital settings.

John Legg
National EMS Association

I have been in EMS for the last two years...and I have never used activated charcoal on a rig...I did meet a paramedic intern that swore by it when we had a old guy that took a hand full of "Skittles"