NYS EMT Reciprocity Question? (From State to State)

BasicAsItComes

Forum Probie
So I just got my NYS EMT, I am and have been looking at live in Fire Departments in Maryland, but I wanted to know if/how CME works state to state wise. I definitely do not want to go through another EMT class or take another test, and was told CME is better in all aspects. Does anyone know how this works? Had a buddy go out to Maryland to do the same thing, came back was still certified, however wasn't on good terms with him, so never asked. Can someone help and explain?

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I can't say for sure on the ems side, but nys certifications for things (firearms, I think ems certs, and other state issued certifications) usually are received at face value for 80-90% of other states(-commiefornia, Ohio, and 2-3 others ). I know In nj they accept my emt-b card at face value. A 5-10 minute phone call with nys doh ems division, will get all your questions answered.

Never dealt with Maryland directly so I can't say 100%

OP
OP
B

BasicAsItComes

Forum Probie
I can't say for sure on the ems side, but nys certifications for things (firearms, I think ems certs, and other state issued certifications) usually are received at face value for 80-90% of other states(-commiefornia, Ohio, and 2-3 others ). I know In nj they accept my emt-b card at face value. A 5-10 minute phone call with nys doh ems division, will get all your questions answered.

Never dealt with Maryland directly so I can't say 100%
Thank you, Question on CME for EMT-B? From what I was told, CME means you never have to take a practical or written again, is this true?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Thank you, Question on CME for EMT-B? From what I was told, CME means you never have to take a practical or written again, is this true?
It’s going to depend on the states that you will be dealing with. I have no first hand knowledge of NY or Maryland since I am on the complete opposite coast but at least here EMTs and Paramedics have to take a practical test every 2 years to recertify.

If you have or plan on getting your NREMT then you must take a practical every 2 years to keep that Certification valid.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Nys calls it the challenge. Tbh I'm a new(er) emt and have never had to recert yet. The idea behind Ceus is so you don't have to retake the test. I however find it easier to challenge the test, and will be going that route instead of ceus

OP
OP
B

BasicAsItComes

Forum Probie
Heres what my instructor sent me

Attachments

• exam.jpg
    exam.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 165

PassionMedic

Forum Crew Member
Your instructor is always a great resource :) good luck. (To clarify some confusion, paramedics DO have to take a skills exam even with the CME program. I just recertified a little over a year ago)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk