NYS EMT-B to NREMT-B

missrosy

Forum Ride Along
I posted a question in another board, but I figured I would try here, too. I'm an EMT-B in NYS, but I am planning to move to MN in a few months. What do I have to do to get an NREMT certification? The only thing I've heard of is a computerized "written" exam. It seemed like there is practical skills test? If so, does anyone know if they would accept the results of the state test I just did (in December)? Also, what's the time frame for getting an NREMT cert? Obviously, I don't want to move out there and then have to wait 6 months to work in my field. Any and all advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

OP
OP
missrosy

missrosy

Forum Ride Along
Oh, and any suggestions for great resources for studying for the NREMT-Basic exam?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

rugrat

Forum Crew Member
Time frame

You can schedule online... I scheduled mine less than 24 hours advance... which is ironic because you have to cancel before 24 hours... test took like 30-40 min (cut off time depends) 30min to two hours...

Found out I passed a few days later (checked the website) and then got my NREMT and EMSRB cards in the mail pretty soon after (maybe like a week or two?)

-==-
See what you can find for a skills test... did you have one in NYC? and if not you might be able to be tested at a firestation or EMS service? (maybe someone else would know more about that...)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jmo371

Forum Crew Member
You can schedule online... I scheduled mine less than 24 hours advance... which is ironic because you have to cancel before 24 hours... test took like 30-40 min (cut off time depends) 30min to two hours...

Found out I passed a few days later (checked the website) and then got my NREMT and EMSRB cards in the mail pretty soon after (maybe like a week or two?)

-==-
See what you can find for a skills test... did you have one in NYC? and if not you might be able to be tested at a firestation or EMS service? (maybe someone else would know more about that...)

Lol! It took 6.5 weeks to get my nys cert. A couple weeks to get a card sounds fantastic!