NYC Ride-A-Long

MIT

Forum Probie
I'm new here, this is my first thread. I'm training to be an Advanced Care Paramedic in Australia and I'll be in New York City from the 9th of January until the 25th. I'm looking for information on how to best go about getting a ride-a-long with any company offering first response 911 services in NYC.

Does anyone know the best way to go about setting one of these up? I'm almost finished 12 weeks on road down here in Aus but I am absolutely desperate to experience EMT Life in the USA!

Suggestions?

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm new here, this is my first thread. I'm training to be an Advanced Care Paramedic in Australia and I'll be in New York City from the 9th of January until the 25th. I'm looking for information on how to best go about getting a ride-a-long with any company offering first response 911 services in NYC.

Does anyone know the best way to go about setting one of these up? I'm almost finished 12 weeks on road down here in Aus but I am absolutely desperate to experience EMT Life in the USA!

Suggestions?

If you don't get any responses here i'd start by googling the contact details of various EMS agencies including FDNY. Start sending some polite emails.

I'm also heading to the US in March, im keen to do a ridealong in LA or the like

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
If you don't get any responses here i'd start by googling the contact details of various EMS agencies including FDNY. Start sending some polite emails.

I'm also heading to the US in March, im keen to do a ridealong in LA or the like

Lolwut? Of all the places you could ride along at...why LA? I hope you mean the state of Louisiana not Los Angeles.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief

Suggestions?

I'm not particularly certain who you can contact but FDNY does permit ride alongs.

Try for a paramedic unit in brooklyn...

Last edited by a moderator:

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
I did a ride along in the Bronx but I knew the paramedic. There's a form you have to sign and get notarized and that's it.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Lolwut? Of all the places you could ride along at...why LA? I hope you mean the state of Louisiana not Los Angeles.

Well my schedule is a bit crazy I'm going LA- Vegas - MIAMI - Cancun then have 2 more weeks undecided before I fly out of LAX.

Won't be able to do the ride along in the first two weeks due to partying schedule.

OP
OP
M

MIT

Forum Probie
Thanks guys! I've already tried contacting people via email but haven't heard back from any of the companies. I'm not sure exactly where I'm staying but it'll be near central park. I'm willing to go anywhere that I can get to without major dramas to do a ridealong- I don't care if it's a 10 hour shift a 12 hour shift or a 24 hour shift I'm just keen to see how things work in the US!

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks guys! I've already tried contacting people via email but haven't heard back from any of the companies. I'm not sure exactly where I'm staying but it'll be near central park. I'm willing to go anywhere that I can get to without major dramas to do a ridealong- I don't care if it's a 10 hour shift a 12 hour shift or a 24 hour shift I'm just keen to see how things work in the US!

PM BoogieDownMedic looks like he can set you up with a shift in the Bronx.

If you haven't been to NYC before you can easily get a train / subway from Midtown to the Bronx.

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
LA will be a bit of a challenge. LAFD no longer does ride-alongs unless you have a family "in" last I heard, same with LACoFD. I know my old private company requires you to be in an affiliated EMT program. It's boring out here anyway. So close to hospitals, you wont get to see anything.

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
LA will be a bit of a challenge. LAFD no longer does ride-alongs unless you have a family "in" last I heard, same with LACoFD. I know my old private company requires you to be in an affiliated EMT program. It's boring out here anyway. So close to hospitals, you wont get to see anything.

I did my internship in south central with LAFD, and saw plenty. So many truly sick people who neglect their meds/can't afford them. Plus lots of trauma if you're into that. Gsws, stabbings, all that good stuff.

I do ridealongs there occasionally but that's just because I know the crew/captain. Not sure on a ridealong without knowing anybody

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Bed Stuy Volunteer Ambulance Corp is a good place to start. They technically are not dispactched by FDNy but do manage to get alot of 911 calls through mutual aid.

Just outside of NY
Newark NJ is good place to get a ride along with either UMDNJ or Ironbound.
Ironbouns: http://ironboundambulance.org/about-us.php

Yonkers, NY contact EMpress EMS
http://www.empressems.com/

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Well my schedule is a bit crazy I'm going LA- Vegas - MIAMI - Cancun then have 2 more weeks undecided before I fly out of LAX.

Won't be able to do the ride along in the first two weeks due to partying schedule.

If you decide to drive north from Vegas a ways you're welcome on my ambulance.

If you make fun of my medicine and inexperience I'll make fun of your accent :D

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
If you're going to be in Vegas, why not try and ride a shift with MedicWest or AMR?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
hes partying

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If you're going to be in Vegas, why not try and ride a shift with MedicWest or AMR?

If you have time and the opportunity I'd jump on it. Wouldn't ride with LVFD but that's just me.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks for all the tips and contacts, as it gets closer and my schedule is worked out Ill see what I can do. I should be over there for 30 days, so theres no reason I can't spend one doing a ride-along would be awesome

cleanboofs

Paramedic
If you have a month, you should try and make it out to Colorado to schedule a ride with the Denver Health Paramedics. They always have riders from baby Docs, LEOs to paramedic students.

OP
OP
M

MIT

Forum Probie
Thanks for the help guys! I've got one organised with Boogie (hopefully) so excited!

JeffDHMC

Forum Lieutenant
If you have a month, you should try and make it out to Colorado to schedule a ride with the Denver Health Paramedics. They always have riders from baby Docs, LEOs to paramedic students.

Solly Cholly, no rides here unless you are employed by DH (and have a valid reason) or are a student here. Years ago we could bring people to work, but those are long gone days.