NYC EMTs get EpiPens

Afflixion

Forum Captain
So they can play the victim and blame it on me.

But I have to say there is a major difference between "assisting" someone with their prescribed medication and prescribing it for them. Major, major difference. A protocol for the former does not necessarily qualify you for the latter.

This is true. Though it is saying that they should be able to open a tube, twist off a grey cap and stab it into someones leg. The only concern left is when to use said EpiPens.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
The main concern is not the device but rather the ability to differentiate anaphylaxis and just a reaction or in other simple terms making the right diagnosis when to really administer it.

A monkey could utilize an Epi pen as they have thumbs also, so carrying the device is a mute point.

R/r 911

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
If your just throwing them on the truck without the neccesary information. Yes there could be a problem. We have been giving them for over ten years now, before that we drew it up from a multi dose.

We have a signifigant CQI department and I dont believe we have had an issue. Its a low risk high reward medication if the educatin and knowledge is there.

Afflixion

Forum Captain
As I said when to use...Another thing to consider if one lived in a more hot environment is epi rapidly degrades in heat so one would have to put a med fridge in the unit of a bls truck...