NREMT tourniquet q

toreishi

Forum Ride Along
After more than 20y in the field, a new employer is requesting that I drink the NREMT kool aid (worth it to do fire line medical throughout the US......but NREMT is such a financial scam).

In the skills (oooh ! psychomotor !!!) testing , what is/are presented as tourniquet options ? I'm not doing a class, just headed straight to the testing. Thanks !

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
apply it if direct pressure doesn't stop the serious bleeding?

What exactly are you asking?

OP
OP
T

toreishi

Forum Ride Along
I understand the concept and use indications. What actual equipment options are presented in the testing scenario ? Bandage + stick, CAT (or tactical type), pneumatic ? In other words, what do they provide for my use ? Thanks.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
likely a CAT one, however it's all testing location specific. you should be given the opportunity to review all the equipment before you start the scenario. If it's an item you aren't familiar with, you should speak up at that time.

Why don't you call your skills location to see what they tell you about what equipment they use?

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I had a cat at mine. But if you get to a scenario and you don't know the equipment, ask to see it before you start the scenario.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
You can find more info about the psychomotor test here: https://www.nremt.org/rwd/public/document/psychomotor-exam

Recommend basically just memorizing the skill sheets and jumping through the hoops on test day. Make sure you're familiar with all the critical fails and avoid them.

It looks like the paramedic test no longer has a "bleeding control" station, but the EMT-B/AEMT tests do. The evaluation sheet for that station is found here: https://content.nremt.org/static/documents/P313 NREMT Bleeding Control Shock Management.pdf

I now realize that this isn't the question you were asking... but I'll post this anyways in case you hadn't seen these sheets!