NREMT Study Methods...Any ideas?

brice

Forum Probie
For sure looks like everybody is also doing pretty well on there registry test its nice to see!B)

SNARK

Forum Ride Along
I thought this up to help remember heart valves between the atria and ventricles. LAB RAT. Left Atrium Bicuspid (mitral), Right Atrium Tricuspid.

Know the blood flow through the heart, all the way from vena cava emptying into right atrium through aorta leaving the left ventricle--know the valves, the blood vessels, and the heart chambers and what each does.

And remember Arteries Always carry blood Away from the heart.

I am taking my test Wednesday and I feel very confident, but the only thing I struggled with the entire class was the heart & blood flow.

My teacher really never went very detailed about this & I don't think the picture in the book is very easy to understand.

Just so I am studying right is this correct:

Superior vena cava (body)
Right Atrium
Tricuspid valve
Right Ventricle
Lungs
Left Atrium
Bicuspid valve
Left Ventricle
Aorta

rjddvm

Forum Crew Member
You've got it! Just for a bit more detail:

Superior and inferior vena cavae
Right atrium
Tricuspid valve
Right ventricle
Pulmonic valve
Pulmonary artery (the ONLY major artery to carry deoxygenated blood)
Pulmonary arteries (small), arterioles, capillaries, venules, and small veins
Pulmonary vein (the ONLY major vein to carry oxygenated blood)
Left atrium
Biscuspid (mitral) valve
Left ventricle
Aortic valve
Aorta

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Right atrium
Tricuspid valve
Right ventricle
Pulmonic valve
Pulmonary artery (the ONLY major artery to carry deoxygenated blood)
Pulmonary arteries (small), arterioles, capillaries, venules, and small veins
Pulmonary vein (the ONLY major vein to carry oxygenated blood)
Left atrium
Biscuspid (mitral) valve
Left ventricle
Aortic valve
Aorta

And just a bit more---

Aorta
Arteries
Arterioles
Capillaries
Veinoles
Veins

brice

Forum Probie
when i took my test i had alot of cardiac question, it is something i think that is under taught is the class, so before i tested i really focused on that portion of the book.

McLovin05

Forum Probie
These are all great suggestions and I will definitely review them in my book and use them towards my upcoming test in Feb

cali4niagirl

Forum Probie
My teacher taught us the blood flow differently-

RaT in an Rv
LaMB in Las vegas

Right atrium
Tricuspid valve
Right ventricle

Left atrium
Mitral (bicuspid valve)
Left ventricle

I know there are other things in between but it really helped me to remember the valve names. :)

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Kind of off topic here, but what would it benefit me to take the NREMT test? Should I? Or is it oly a good idea under certain conditions?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Kind of off topic here, but what would it benefit me to take the NREMT test? Should I? Or is it oly a good idea under certain conditions?

Well professionalism, demonstrating you have the minimal knowledge under the national standards. You ever have to move or plan on moving to another state, repreciosity is nice instead of going back through school again.

R/r911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
My teacher taught us the blood flow differently-

RaT in an Rv
LaMB in Las vegas

Right atrium
Tricuspid valve
Right ventricle

Left atrium
Mitral (bicuspid valve)
Left ventricle

I know there are other things in between but it really helped me to remember the valve names. :)

In order :
Toilet- Tricuspid
Paper- Pulmonary
My - Mitral
Arse- Aorta

ams

Forum Ride Along
soo no one's answered this in a while but this still comes up when i google "how should i study for the nremt exam" so i thought i'd contribute!
as a college student I definitely skipped out on/skimmed a lot of the readings rather than properly learning them. my course was hybrid so we didn't really have lecture in class to solidify most of our knowledge except with really confusing topics (like the different kinds of shock), otherwise we focused on the practical part in class
that being said, i luckily passed the course and after passing the practical i had two weeks to study for the written portion.

I already had the Crash Course EMT book which I read before my in-class final and it helped a lot so I studied that more thoroughly for the NREMT exam (took written notes, made flashcards, basically memorized the entirety of the book which was like 380 pages compared to our infinity-paged textbook). Then I used quizlets for practice - if u google "emt chapter ___ quizlet", the chapters correlate to the orange book so you can pick chapters that you have trouble with (or do all of them!), I haven't had any luck finding one that is a mix of all the chapters but you could potentially create your own. You have to click around a bit but you can find a few for each chapter that have questions, the multiple choices, and answers rather than just the questions and the answers. These are pretty representative of the actual exam because they are a nice mix of general knowledge and scenario based questions.

I had 70 questions on my exam, thought I had bombed it, but ended up passing! Good luck!!