NREMT-B Practical Tomorrow...Final Suggestions?

dmfinn

Forum Probie
I have my NREMT-B practical tomorrow. I'm only testing on the medical/KED stations (I passed the rest other times around). Any final suggestions?

Also quick question. In my class, and from what I know from ride alongs, the KED is applied using My Baby Looks Hot Tonight (Middle, Boton, Legs, Head, Top), however on the NREMT skill sheet it says to secure the device to the torso before attaching to the head. Which way is correct / which way did you do it if you passed?

Thanks for all your help!

Dan

Gastudent

Forum Crew Member
To the best of my knowledge, you have to secure the torso first so you don't put any unnecessary strain on the neck.

Mystwaker

Forum Ride Along
Torso, Legs and then HEAD LAST!!! Dont get distracted by all the additional supplies around, there is usually additional padding but besure to check if its needed or at the very least verbalize that you would assess the need for additional padding to any voids. Dont forget about checking CMS bilaterally in all extremities at least twice (once before the KED is applied and once after being immobilized) Also its not required by NREMT testing standards to actually move your now KED immobilized pt to the long back board but do verbalize at the end that your would now transfer your patient to the long back board, release the leg straps, reassess CMS and immobilize.

ardsranger

Forum Probie
I have my NREMT-B practical tomorrow. I'm only testing on the medical/KED stations (I passed the rest other times around). Any final suggestions?

Also quick question. In my class, and from what I know from ride alongs, the KED is applied using My Baby Looks Hot Tonight (Middle, Boton, Legs, Head, Top), however on the NREMT skill sheet it says to secure the device to the torso before attaching to the head. Which way is correct / which way did you do it if you passed?

Thanks for all your help!

Dan

i used this to do it
boy my legs have cramps

Boy B Bottom Strap
My M Middle Strap
Legs L Legs
Have Head
Cramps Chest last
it worked well for me

sra

Forum Probie
I just passed everything first time around. For KED our teacher taught us middle, top, bottom....then tell the patient to take a deep breath and make sure they are all tight. Then legs....tell patient to go onto his toe (its helps when you are wiggling the straps. Make sure those are up the patients butt crack and make them as tight as possible. I told my male patient it would be uncomfortable and he just laughed and said okay ( I was making sure that those straps didn't move at all!). Finally head. That's how I passed. Good luck!

Its easier to remember the torso order if you remember that for a long board its navel, nipples, knees.....same order as KED

Last edited by a moderator:

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
When I tested they didn't care what order the torso straps were done ad long as they were re checked, then legs then head.

PaddyWagon

Forum Crew Member
After CMS, which is super important.

We had: My Baby Looks Hot Tonight

Middle torso
Bottom torso
Legs
Head
Top torso

With the padding that comes with the KED being used behind the head to keep the neck lined up.

Then verbalize transfer to the long board and CMS again. In class we did actual transfers to show a couple ways to do it safely, but it's not on the test. That getup is just NOT comfortable.

Consensus has been achieved :ph34r:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
The torso straps don't matter what order you do them in. Torso, legs then head.

"Titties, tummy, testes, legs, head" (TTLH) is how I was taught.

Manual stabilization, CMS, C-collar, CMS (does it happen in the field? Not usually but might as well be thorough so your proctor can't fail you for something dumb) KED (TTTLH), CMS, transfer to long board, unclip the legs, spiders, head blocks, CMS, done.

Good luck!

ShortStuff

Forum Ride Along
We had, "My Baby Looks Totally Hot". Middle, bottom, legs, torso, head. Head was last.

We were taught My Baby Looks Hot Tonight. (CMS checked before and after any sort of immobilization device is applied).

Middle torso

Bottom torso

Legs

Head

Top torso