Not Good

OP
OP
B

Bosco578

Forum Captain
Wow this truly amazes me! Never in my training as a fire fighter did they teach us to do that and obviously for good reason!

I'm not sure what they were thinking.(Or lack of). Scary.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
its videos like this that make me really scared of volunteer firefighters.

how stupid and uneducated do you have to be to dive right in to a fully involved room?

anybody notice in the second video that the fire had almost completely burned itself down until that moron came along and vented that room? one attack line could have gone in and finished that off in no time, right up until he broke those windows. strong work sir

and that third video has been torn apart a hundred times before.

FireResuce48

Forum Crew Member
That second video is career firefighters in action.
The fire department career and volunteer are lacking in skills these days, in my opinion it's because we are told everything is too dangerous. Well, if I was constantly worried about danger I wouldn't ride ambulances or fire engines.
Safety is important but there are calculated risks involved with operating in the emergency service.
Risk alot to save alot. risk a little to save a little. Can be said for fire and ems

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Mein Gott!

The first video...no one had water flowing !!! Jesus de Christo on rollerskates!! Anyone die?

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
The second video is of the Montgomery County FD, here in MD, about two counties over, next to my home county. It's the first choice for just about everyone between DC and Baltimore when they decide they want to "go pro" because they have the highest pay rates. And they should, too, because it's one of the richest counties (top 10) in the country. But their FD isn't anything special.

mycrofft

This is an example of why Nomex can be overtrusted.

Back when we had to ride to fires on a red brontosaurus*, they considered Nomex beanies and discarded the idea because you can do just what they did, get into an unliveable situation. Fire on the ears will make you back out quick...just before the lexan faceshield melts and the airpack hoses start smoking.

* also know as "Apatasaurus Red", er, "Rex"

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow, I thought Nomex fire hoods (or similar material) were standard equipment for attack teams.

mycrofft

I'm sure they are, but they were resisted for a while.

NASA once tested a pullover fire hood with a gasketted neck, air supply went into that instead of a mask and it totally enclosed the head and neck. Besides obvious problems if things stopped working was the dissociated feeling some firefighters got from their environment, as well losing local hearing. Intead of it being "really -real", it was kind of like a video in some ways.