Noob Question

mmdambro

Forum Ride Along
So from what i have gathered there are different levels of EMT training. I am looking to become an EMT but I really have no idea where to start. Would I be able to accomplish being certified during a summer? I am in Chapel Hill, NC and am trying to become an EMT by next fall? Any help?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
You will need to enroll in the EMT-Basic program first. This is a prerequisite course to continue on to advanced levels.

OP
OP
M

mmdambro

Forum Ride Along
and how long do these courses take approximately?

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i cant speak for other states, but in ma it takes about 4-5 months from start to cert for a part time(2 class/wk) program. you can find classes that run for shorter time periods with more class a week.

the big hold up in ma is the state office of ems and how log they take to process your paperwork. that used to take 2 months if they were really on there game and 3 or more if they werent. its gotten much better and can be as fast as 1 month from course end to cert.

JPINFV

Gadfly
and how long do these courses take approximately?

Depends on where you are. There are some programs (so called "Zero to Hero" programs) that go directly to paramedic, but you will be looking at a minimum of a year, probably upwards of two for those programs.

EMT-Basic is only required to be 110 hours of classroom time under the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (yes, EMS is governed by a transportation agency, not a health care agency) and can be accomlished in as little as two weeks or as long as several months (regardless of the calendar length, most programs are still less than 200 hours start to finish. The difference is between having class 5-6 days a week for 13 hours or one class a week for 4 hours).