Nitrile Gloves

Sizz

Forum Lieutenant
Hey all

I'm having a tough time with feeling a pulse sometime with these gloves. Some trauma's some medical. Any tips or tricks other than removing my gloves for a second or 2? Mostly concerned with the bloody messes. Our company uses these gloves!

Thanks

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't think it's the gloves, some pulses are hard to feel/find. it'll get easier with practice.
though even with practice some patients pulses are hard to fell. especally those with weak, thready irregular pulses

guardian528

Forum Lieutenant
if you can't feel a pulse through a glove that is a couple millimeters thick, you're most likely in the wrong spot. or they're dead, take your pick.

emtfarva

Forum Captain
the company I work for, buys thicker gloves. I don't like them at all, but I could get a pluse with them. I usally use different gloves that are thinner and get better results. The thinner gloves also are better for feeling temps also. (These gloves just jump on my stretcher and into my pockets, I never know how they get there, but they are always the same as a couple of hospitals that I go to a lot.) If you are having a tough time getting a pluse, try using 2-3 fingers on the wrist, kinda like you would for a pluse on the foot. Increase pressure untill you find a pluse or into you are pushing on the bone. If you have reached the bone with still no pluse, then release the pressure untill you find the pluse. If still are having trouble you can also use the pluse when you are taking a B/P. Get your B/P reading as normal, then re-pump up the cuff to the point where you hear the pluse the loudest, count as normal.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
You might also try wearing a tighter set of gloves. I went to slightly smaller gloves because I felt that the tighter fit gave me better sensation and made it easier to manipulate things.

The gloves shouldn't be interfering with your ability to find a pulse, though. Practice, practice, practice.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Tighter gloves or a thinner brand might help, but only so much. Just keep practicing.

RyanMidd

Forum Lieutenant
You might also try wearing a tighter set of gloves. I went to slightly smaller gloves because I felt that the tighter fit gave me better sensation and made it easier to manipulate things.

The gloves shouldn't be interfering with your ability to find a pulse, though. Practice, practice, practice.

+++

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I've been at this job for quite a while myself... and sometimes I just can't find a pulse at the wrist. I've found that if I can't feel the pulse with my gloves on, I'm not likely to find it without them on either. I just search elsewhere for the pulse. There have been times that finding the radial pulse doesn't work, but I can find the ulnar one... or I just have to use the brachial... It just takes practice.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Turn the arm palm down.

I ususally ausc it as I take the bp, saves time.