Nightwatch comes to Tampa, Florida!

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I think it also comes down to the size of the rig and who is doing what. I've run with groups where you really did feel like the third wheel. While the other two AEMT's were tending to the PT, I (EMT) just sat in the air chair and documented everything. Helps us get back into the shed faster so we can go home. With volunteer we don't turn and burn on our next call, it's run, do paperwork, go home, wait a couple days/week for some other call to show up. So every call is probably both your first and last of the day.

With size, we have a big enough rig we have bench seats on both sides of the PT, and an air chair. Means we have seatbelts enough for 5 providers in the back plus PT and driver make a total of 7 bodies in the truck with room for a passenger up front. While 5 people in the back would be chaos, I think 3 can be well managed if you have the room. During the day when there are less volunteers in town (everyone's at work) it's not unusual to run 2 in the back and a driver.

I've also been on a CPR call where our autopulse was not working, and we did manual CPR the whole way to the hospital, a 20min ride. We had 4 of us swapping off and I was still exhausted when we got there.

The maximum amount of people I've taken in a ambulance (type 3 mod by the way) is a full arrest that we got ROSC on. That was my medic partner and two firefighters off the engine. Hell, even when we still transported people while doing compressions we would only pull 2 firefighters and have them ride in. Anymore than that is overkill. For your typical medical aids it is asinine to take more than 1 person. You don't need 3 or 4 people in the back tending to the patient. At that point you're doing more harm than good because you don't know whose doing what. As far as documentation, you spend lets say 10 minutes on scene, another 10-20 transporting, 10 to get a bed, and the 10-20 minute drive back to the station. Thats more than enough time to finish a PCR. You're trying to justify regularly taking 3-4 people on every medical aid. It's just not needed, its overkill and detrimental to patient care. You're a volley squad, company, whatever... I get it. But you really should only have 2 people on the ambulance.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
I showed up to work one day (I'm PRN, part-timer), and the truck had accidentally been double-staffed, AND there was a medic student with the preceptor-medic. So there were 4 of us on the truck. I called up and asked to go home. No need to be a clown car showing up onscene with people pouring out every door.

"Oh yeah, there was a mix up with tele staff, the regular person is back on their shift today after all."
"Okay. So there's 4 of us here with the medic student, can i go home?"
"What you don't want to be a clown car?"
"Nope."
"Go home, see ya."

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Everyone knows more=better; it's science.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
This thread.... really jumped the shark...

An EMS dude saying "define ALS".... lol... a legion in the back of the rig....

Wtf?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Sure, but who really cares about Nightwatch, let alone where it's filmed?
People care, bro... Watch out where you aim... You might hit someone right in the feels.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
IMG_6390.JPG
Sure, but who really cares about Nightwatch, let alone where it's filmed?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
How many patches can you fit on a uniform.........?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Saw it. More impressed with the firefighting than the medicine. That seizure dude was a trainwreck.

Also, that asthmatic on the last episode of Nightwatch last night needed to be RSI'd with a quickness, or a nasal intubation if that wasn't possible. Mag and epi might have been good go-to options as well.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I miss NTI's in our scope. When used properly they were an effective alternative to an indicated RSI, or at least decent option with not having it available on the ground units.

But alas, as a whole our crews hardly showed when or why they're of value, so I can't blame our medical director for its removal.

Anyhow, carry on Nightwatch...ers.

Giant81

Forum Lieutenant
I have to admit I didn't like the new one as well as NOLA. Probably because it seemed less focused on EMS and more focused on police. Still good, but not quite what I came to like about nightwatch.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I'll admit, it got snippets in between commercials breaks from Jeopardy! and Wheel Of Fortune. It did seem to focus a lot on the cops, and I caught a glimpse of a trailer fire.

Too much talking about themselves, and this was only a collective 20 minutes? Alas, Alex Trebek and Pat Sajak for the win. From what I saw, this should be it's final season.

OP
OP
P

pogoemt

Forum Crew Member
Disappointed to see that it is being received poorly, I enjoyed it but I'm obviously biased.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Disappointed to see that it is being received poorly, I enjoyed it but I'm obviously biased.
What reaction were you expecting? It glamorizes everything anyone of my fellow providers whom I'd truly call co-workers, and/ or gladly work with detests.

It's glorified, sensationalized TV drama lumped into reality TV, because it's (debatably) unscripted, and does not reflect the profession I'd want any part of.

But again, you don't know what you don't know. I was there once, too, however my caveat was an endless thirst for knowledge.

OP
OP
P

pogoemt

Forum Crew Member
What reaction were you expecting? It glamorizes everything anyone of my fellow providers whom I'd truly call co-workers, and/ or gladly work with detests.

It's glorified, sensationalized TV drama lumped into reality TV, because it's (debatably) unscripted, and does not reflect the profession I'd want any part of.

But again, you don't know what you don't know. I was there once, too, however my caveat was an endless thirst for knowledge.

I guess it is my newness to the profession coupled with the fact that I am not practicing yet, I'm still very green and have a lot to learn.

Dennhop

Forum Crew Member
I watch it; like every other reality TV show it has to be taken with a grain of salt (OK, the whole darn shaker). That being said, I realize there's a lot they don't show which can also make the individuals on it look bad: ie when someone is lying on the ground in one shot, then the next they have 2 IV's, an IO, and are on CPAP....(OK, so a little extreme).

I would hate to see the logistical nightmare behind that show, as far as how they would have to get a release from everyone they film and show, as well as the liability of the fact that the crews are being filmed and recorded for the entire world to see-one complaint from the pts family, and any of the comments they made before or after the run is an automatic lawsuit.

Tbh, it's surprising that NOLA didn't appear to have any negative repercussions towards the crews for some comments made. I'm not naive...We all make the comments, the only difference is ours aren't on national TV. With the way our service is structured, I can only imagine how many of us would be fired immediately being on the show.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I have not watched this season at all, nor any episodes since the first couple of the first season, so with that said....

Reality tv is not reality. Period. And because of that, I refuse to watch the show, and most others that are considered 'reality'.