Nfpa 1917

FlightMedicHunter

Forum Crew Member
So, NFPA 1917 was released last month. I was wondering if any of you had any thoughts on the standard as a whole as it relates to non-FD ambulances.

This is going to be a very important issue in the coming years. Lemme know your thoughts....Thanks!!!

Joe

Forum Captain
I have no idea what its about. If it concerns non fd ambulances why is nfpa involved in.it?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
NFPA 1918 will be the NFPA standard for Police car (which falls under NFPA, since public safety departments do police too)

NFPA 1919 will be the NFPA standard for EMS supervisors (since fire basd EMS has supervisors too).

NFPA 1920 will be the NFPA standard for Bomb Disposal (since both Montgomery County and Price Georges County Fire department's operate the county bomb squads).

it's the NFPA setting a standard for something that is more than just FD based, and in many cases, is more non-FD than FD related.

Do I think it's a good idea to have standards? absolutely. do I think the NFPA should be involved in an EMS item? no, let them stick to firefighting. Do I think this standard will help? well, the agencies that see stuff they like will use it to justify the funding, and the ones that don't will say "we aren't FD so it doesn't apply to us" or "we don't follow NFPA, so we won't be using it."

OP
OP
F

FlightMedicHunter

Forum Crew Member
I guess I should point out that right now the standard is GSA KKK. There is a federal mandate that states once the first state adopts NFPA1917 the GSA KKK standard will no longer exist. This will leave states without a standard other than NFPA 1917. If they do not build to the NFPA 1917 standard they will be setting themselves up for liability.

It would be like if your EMS agency chose not to adhere to AHA BLS guidelines. Interesting points Dr.....I'd love to hear more.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
If they do not build to the NFPA 1917 standard they will be setting themselves up for liability. It would be like if your EMS agency chose not to adhere to AHA BLS guidelines.
ehhhh, only if the NFPA was accepted as the standard for EMS. NFPA is considered the expert in firefighting; there are many more agencies and organizations that are better known as experts in EMS.

check out http://www.nfpa.org/Assets/files/AboutTheCodes/1917/1917-A2012-ROC.pdf and look at some of the comments regarding KKK.

I think it's fair to say that the AHA is the accepted expert in BLS guidelines for CPR. But if AHA set guidelines for ambulance design, would they be accepted as law? what about pain control guidelines? or response protocols?

Oh, and in regards to your federal mandate, check out this link from gsadaily.com. it's an interesting, especially around page 20 where this topic is discussed

The standards aren't as bad as I expected; and by that, I mean lots of non-fire department people came up with them. I haven't read them, but I doubt they will be only applicable to the fire service. and apparently GSA asked the NFPA to write them, the NFPA didn't do it on their own.

But I stand by my orignal statments about whether or not an agency will adopt them, or if they will be adopted as the legal standard for non-FD based agencies.

OP
OP
F

FlightMedicHunter

Forum Crew Member
ehhhh, only if the NFPA was accepted as the standard for EMS. NFPA is considered the expert in firefighting; there are many more agencies and organizations that are better known as experts in EMS.

Great points. NFPA will be adopted as the standard for EMS once the first state officially adopts 1917. It is not a requirement, just a standard. Many state health departments are sending letters to the Feds asking that they do not remove GSA KKK. However, that is something that needs to be changed. For the time being, once that first state accepts 1917 it will be the standard for all of us, FD and EMS.

I am not stating any opinion on the standard itself but rather just reiterating some logistical facts. I really am interested in people's thoughts on the actual provisions within the standard. For instance, mandating chevrons on the back or governing speed to 77mph.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Great points. NFPA will be adopted as the standard for EMS once the first state officially adopts 1917. It is not a requirement, just a standard. Many state health departments are sending letters to the Feds asking that they do not remove GSA KKK. However, that is something that needs to be changed. For the time being, once that first state accepts 1917 it will be the standard for all of us, FD and EMS.

I am not stating any opinion on the standard itself but rather just reiterating some logistical facts. I really am interested in people's thoughts on the actual provisions within the standard. For instance, mandating chevrons on the back or governing speed to 77mph.

For the most part, I think that the standards are a good thing. What worries me is the source of those standards.

OP
OP
F

FlightMedicHunter

Forum Crew Member
It is also worth noting that it is estimated that it will cost somewhere around $8,000-$12,000 extra per ambulance when purchasing to make them NFPA 1917 compliant.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
It is also worth noting that it is estimated that it will cost somewhere around $8,000-$12,000 extra per ambulance when purchasing to make them NFPA 1917 compliant.

Ow. Thats going to delay modernization.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
I downloaded the standard to read in case I get bored tonight.

I'm curious more as to how this will affect private services. With a standard being out there is a private ambulance service forced to buy at that standard?

If that's the case I see a lot of places pushing their fleets longer to delay buying new.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
GSA is cluttered with typical governmental bureaucracy. NFPA is a far better choice as an outside party to set forth a new standard. NFPA actually takes input from outside agencies. And don't worry I am sure you wont have to paint your ambo red :p

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Chevrons on the rear-Good thing, i see most new ambulances being equipped with this already and it isnt a huge expense. 25% of the front is a bit much, but we shall see how that goes. Putting reflective material inside the doors is something squads around here have been doing for some time, its just good practice. I have always held that there is no limit to how visible i want to be.

A lot of the opposition to this if because of the "F" in NFPA. People just dont want to cooperate with Fire.