Newly hired EMT, any suggestions for gear to get

Gymgirl21

Forum Ride Along
Hey there,

I just got hired as an EMT and i was wondering what the consensus was for gear. any specific brand of boots, pants etc? what should i get and what typically do ambulance companies provide. I start training next week. thanks:)

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
A good stethoscope would be a good place to start, and then perhaps a field or pocket guide to Pharmacology and Anatomy and Physiology. Check with your company to make sure you know their dress codes and if they provide you with uniforms, if not, then I say go for what you like. Have fun and good luck ! :)

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Hey there,

I just got hired as an EMT and i was wondering what the consensus was for gear. any specific brand of boots, pants etc? what should i get and what typically do ambulance companies provide. I start training next week. thanks:)

Keep it minimal. don't show up with every new toy from galls on day one.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Hey there,

Have a decent pair of black polishable boots, a stethoscope, a pen, a map book for the area if you are driving, and a watch. They provide uniforms.

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
Hey there,

Ever heard of a ricky rescue? Ya, no pocket knives... and wait on the scope.. when you DO get one, get your name engraved on it.. people LOVE to steal scopes. Look at everyone else, see what they have and what they wear... and copy them. AFTER your off probation feel free to raid the uniform shop. Just leave the pocket knives at home, try explaining how your 5150 got ahold of a knife to you supervisor.

What i DO recommend is a good pair of shears http://bigshears.com/ these are awesome. A friend of mine owns the company and I got a pair. LOVE them..

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
Have a decent pair of black polishable boots, a stethoscope, a pen, a map book for the area if you are driving, and a watch. They provide uniforms.

They provide the map book as well... and the rigs have scopes, unless you wanna drop 100$ on a good littman. and obviously GET COMFORTABLE BOOTS!!! I have the 5.11 atac's with the sidezip, I love them but thoroughgoods are nice as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
Honestly OP, you should get a good Littmann. Yes, the rigs have stethoscopes, but if you really wanna here what you need to here, I say you get a Littmann and make the good buy, you'll get better acoustics.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Honestly OP, you should get a good Littmann. Yes, the rigs have stethoscopes, but if you really wanna here what you need to here, I say you get a Littmann and make the good buy, you'll get better acoustics.

...but learn on the crappy ones in the rig first, so when yours grows legs you won't be useless.

I just got my own steth after more than a year in the field an I think I'm better off for it.

EDIT: I disagree on not having a knife, I've always got one on me, never know when it will come in handy. Then again, that's just how I was raised.
Never needed it near a patient though. Oh, and don't get some lame *** "rescue" knife either. Get yourself a decent slipjoint that you can drop in your pocket with your keys. No way anyone will get a hold of that.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
...but learn on the crappy ones in the rig first, so when yours grows legs you won't be useless.

I just got my own steth after more than a year in the field an I think I'm better off for it.

Well, you can only learn so much with crappy ones, but yes, it would be useful to be familiar with them. And thats why I promote engravings.
Agreed, the stethoscope quality can certainly affect proper sounds and ultimately patient care.

sdennislee

Forum Crew Member
EDIT: I disagree on not having a knife, I've always got one on me, never know when it will come in handy. Then again, that's just how I was raised.
Never needed it near a patient though. Oh, and don't get some lame *** "rescue" knife either. Get yourself a decent slipjoint that you can drop in your pocket with your keys. No way anyone will get a hold of that.

Agree, never leave home with out my knife (Benchmark). Could be an Alaska thing. I keep mine clipped inside front pocket.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
Keep it simple, just buy a pair of boots, a pocket Spanish dictionary, and a watch. I'd suggest a Filipino dictionary, however, there are no sections for SNF nurse speak.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Hey there,

Depends on the service. Some provide nothing others provide boots, pants, shirts, etc. Check with them so you don't waste money on items provided or items that do not meet their standards.

firecoins

IFT Puppet

bigdogems

Forum Lieutenant
One thing I will always spend money on is Boots. And I also take care of them. Always polished and strip them every couple months and redo them. Ive had boots that were over a year old and looked better than people that only had theirs a few months.

As far as scope. See what you like before you spend money. I use a master cardiology and love it. But Ive let others try it and they hate it because they pick up too much road noise

I always carry a knife. A nice maglite can come in handy too.

General rule. The more stuff on someones belt or in their pockets the newer the medic

bigdogems

Forum Lieutenant
And as said above. ALWAYS have a pen!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
two sets of turnout gear (one with agency name sewn on, one without), $300 pair of boots, Litmann Cardiology Scope, bat belt with radio holster, trauma shears, bandage sheers, glove pouch, 6 pairs of black socks, 2 pairs of puncture resistant gloves, yellow safety glasses for night time, smoke safety glasses for days, clear safety glasses for every other time, a CPR mask, remote microphone for radio, one boot knife, one sheath knife, one leatherman knife, reflective traffic vest, reflective winter coat, tactical winter coat and lastly, the most important item, winter hat and summer baseball hat.

oh yeah, and an umbrella, never go anywhere without an umbrella.

well, that and never go anywhere without your towel.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I always carry a knife.

Yeah, I always have a pocketknife on me but I don't carry it on my belt or anything obvious.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Notepad and pen
Stethoscope (I keep a Littmann MC2 in my tac pants pocket or around my neck)
Knife (I carry a Gerber Paraframe or a Hinderer; shut up I know, its got an O2 wrench so it's not entirely useless)
iPod Touch with Epocrates and Protocols
5.11 Atac Station Side-Zips (really really comfy boots)

medic417

The Truth Provider
Again buy nothing until you find out what is supplied and what is required. Don't buy based on a bunch of strangers on a web site.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
two sets of turnout gear (one with agency name sewn on, one without), $300 pair of boots, Litmann Cardiology Scope, bat belt with radio holster, trauma shears, bandage sheers, glove pouch, 6 pairs of black socks, 2 pairs of puncture resistant gloves, yellow safety glasses for night time, smoke safety glasses for days, clear safety glasses for every other time, a CPR mask, remote microphone for radio, one boot knife, one sheath knife, one leatherman knife, reflective traffic vest, reflective winter coat, tactical winter coat and lastly, the most important item, winter hat and summer baseball hat.

oh yeah, and an umbrella, never go anywhere without an umbrella.

well, that and never go anywhere without your towel.

Ah man you got me totally thought you were serious up to the towel part.......seriously though carrying a towel isn't a bad idea, ideal for soaking up blood wiping down puke and hiding under when it all goes to hell. A pair of peril sensitive sun glasses wouldn't be a bad idea either :)