Newbie Question

IronClaud

Forum Crew Member
So, I just started my emt-B class a couple weeks ago. I'm kinda confused when it comes to ventilating and applying O2. If someone is in respiratory arrest you would ventilate with a BVM. I noticed they have a hook up for O2. Would you apply the O2 if you noticed the patient to be obviously cynotic by observing blue on lips, nails, etc. Sorry about the noob question. Just trying to get it straight.

JPINFV

Gadfly
If you are ventilating using a bag valve mask, then it should be attached to supplemental oxygen if available.

EMS_Monkey

Forum Probie
If your ventilating with a bvm and have the option of applying supplemental oxygen do so.

JrV

Forum Ride Along
just like the other people said. If oxygen is there apply it to the bvm. I finished my EMT-B class a few months ago so i know what your going through, stuff will be confusing at first but you will get the hang of it. But remember, never deprive a patient of oxygen my instructors always said you can never give them too much O2... there is this diccussion about COPD patients and there hypoxic drive... buuut you are just starting we wont get into that. You will learn it in the coming weeks ;) goodluck!

JPINFV

Gadfly
just like the other people said. If oxygen is there apply it to the bvm. I finished my EMT-B class a few months ago so i know what your going through, stuff will be confusing at first but you will get the hang of it. But remember, never deprive a patient of oxygen my instructors always said you can never give them too much O2... there is this diccussion about COPD patients and there hypoxic drive... buuut you are just starting we wont get into that. You will learn it in the coming weeks ;) goodluck!

How would you go about preventing a patient from inhaling 21-22% oxygen in the first place?

Oh, look, another thread about how oxygen is harmless and every patient should get supplemental because obviously humans aren't adapt to our environment.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
You give your patient as much O2 as THEY need, no more, no less. A patient hyperventilating from a panic attack doesn't supplemental O2, but you had better be sure of the cause, as a PE, MI, pulsed VTach, SVT, or an overdose might give you the same hyperventilating anxious look, but these patients may very well need a NRB mask or nasal cannula, in addition to other emergency treatment.

I think about it this way. When you approach a new patient, you start with a first impression. Are they in respiratory distress? If so, O2. If not, begin taking basic vitals which will hopefully include SPO2. These vitals may give you insight as to the patients emergent condition, they may not.

I like to come up with a goal for my patient's O2 saturation. An elderly COPDer is good anywhere over 90% with no respiratory distress, though I would like my young and healthy patients to sat over 95%. One hundred percent O2 saturation is not your goal.

And going with the other commenters, a BVM should be used with O2 if available, as you only only use them for patients in severe respiratory distress or failure, so no matter how much oxygen you put through their airway, there body is having a problem using it and we'd give them 110% if we could. That said, no overzealous bagging, that causes gastric distension and barotrauma, which are bad...mmmkay?

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh, look, another thread about how oxygen is harmless and every patient should get supplemental because obviously humans aren't adapt to our environment.

images.jpg

emergancyjunkie

Forum Crew Member
A BVM with supplemental O2 can also be used if the patients respiratory rate is extremely high like maybe in upper 20s or higher. Correct me if I'm wrong here I'm just a student as well.

Sent from my Desire HD

18G

Paramedic
The general rule is yes, if the patient's condition is that severe as to warrant assisted ventilation than use supplemental oxygen. LET ME STRESS THIS DOES NOT MEAN 100% OXYGEN, 100% OF THE TIME.

I know your a student so I won't offer info to confuse you in class but just be aware that oxygen is not innocent and yes, you can administer too much oxygen. Oxygen is not harmless. Many conditions have been shown to have worse outcomes when high-flow oxygen was administered (ie MI, CVA, ROSC, COPD, Neonatal Resuscitation).

joeshmoe

Forum Lieutenant
Emergencyjunkie
A BVM with supplemental O2 can also be used if the patients respiratory rate is extremely high like maybe in upper 20s or higher. Correct me if I'm wrong here I'm just a student as well.

I dont know that I would call a RR in the upper 20s extremely high, although it is higher than normal, and could simply be the result of the patient being scared or excited. Whether or not you would assist respirations with a BVM depends on other factors as well. You obviously wouldnt automatically start trying to bag every patient with a RR in the upper 20s.

Another thing to mention if you havent already learned this, is that the process of breathing isnt simply about supplying o2 to the tissues, it also rids the body of co2.

Airway and breathing are probably the most important things you will cover in your class, so its important to pay attention, read your book, and understand whats taught. Seemingly simple skills like bagging a patient are important, and difficult to do correctly. Getting a good mask seal, providing the correct depth and rate of ventilations, being aware of gastric inflation as well as knowing when to bag someone are all important. You can kill a pediatric patient through over aggressive bagging.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
there is this diccussion about COPD patients and there hypoxic drive... buuut you are just starting we wont get into that

We also won't get into it because it's a myth based on an antiquated and misguided belief about the human respiratory drive.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

Wait until you see a DKA patient with a respiratory rate of 40+ with tidal volumes of over a liter. It will redefined "hyperventilation" for you.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Wait until you see a DKA patient with a respiratory rate of 40+ with tidal volumes of over a liter. It will redefined "hyperventilation" for you.

...and not exactly the patient you want to bring back to "normal" respiratory rate either.

Tommerag

What day is it?

Or the patient I had a few months ago with a RR of 66. Cardiac related cause.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler

And yet inevitably some jack@ss out there will want to tube this patient and then practice ventilator "knobology" to get the patient to an ETCO2 of 40...

Nervegas

Forum Lieutenant
And yet inevitably some jack@ss out there will want to tube this patient and then practice ventilator "knobology" to get the patient to an ETCO2 of 40...

Got to love the ones who put on the blinders and ABC their way to victory, or well, failure in this case. :rofl:

MedicJon88

Forum Crew Member
generally speaking O2 is great... especially as an EMT

In rare cases it can be detrimental- I remember an episode of ER.. where Dr.Dubenko tries to lecture the new ER docs about O2 as a free radical... but thats for far beyond BLS...

Do worry about:
~Overinflating the ambubag- perf the lung, or worse cause gastric distention leading to aspiration pneumonia
~not treating the actual cause of respiratory distress- ie. airway obstruction

Later on you can learn about respiratory alkalosis- (I've only seen it once in the ICU...)

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
but thats for far beyond BLS...

Not really....it's pretty damn simple: use the lowest amount of oxygen for the shortest amount of time to get the saturation to a level sufficient to support life (>90% as a general rule) and try to correct or minimize the underlying problem as fast as possible.

JPINFV

Gadfly
generally speaking O2 is great... especially as an EMT

In rare cases it can be detrimental- I remember an episode of ER.. where Dr.Dubenko tries to lecture the new ER docs about O2 as a free radical... but thats for far beyond BLS...

1. What makes oxygen great for EMTs in contrast to every other level?

2. Do you think the free radicals care about the level of provider?

MedicJon88

Forum Crew Member
1. What makes oxygen great for EMTs in contrast to every other level?

2. Do you think the free radicals care about the level of provider?

1. Being limited in the amount of medical intervention EMT-Basics can administer- O2 is like a wonder drug- Respiratory distress- have more O2 in the air for inhalation. Chest pain with possible ACS- Have more O2 and lower the cardiac stress- Status post seizure/postictal- have some O2, CVA- have some O2....
It at least makes it look like something is done- and sometimes the placebo effect does the rest.

2. Free radicals only care about themselves... thats why they are free- and radical.