Newbie and resume help(8

Infinity

Forum Crew Member
I dont mean to:deadhorse: but i need help..
I just got my NREMT license like seriously yesterday and just sent out for my state(Missouri), but im like completely clueless on writing an outstanding resume... ive written resumes plenty of times for high school jobs but none that have to do with my career. I want to have an outstanding resume... i know there will always be better but even so idk what to say. im not one to toot my own horn so writing a resume about how awesome:blush: i am is a little more than challenging. UH! Advice,pep talks would be totally appreciated. :unsure:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Create a resume that details your past experience. As a new EMT you don't have any pertinent EMS experience. Focus on past customer service experience. Anyone hiring for an entry level EMT position is most likely more concerned with how you'll represent the company and if you'll show up on time.

You don't need to exaggerate or look like some super EMT to get hired. A solid work history and good references go a long way.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
I

Infinity

Forum Crew Member
thank you.. yeah i worked at a daycare for special needs children and micky d's but nothing ems related.. should i put in where i was in my class and my clinical experiences?

NomadicMedic

thank you.. yeah i worked at a daycare for special needs children and micky d's but nothing ems related.. should i put in where i was in my class and my clinical experiences?

The special needs kids part is good. Micky Ds is fine. We all start somewhere. Frankly, nobody cares about where you did EMT clinical rotations or your class standing. It's really a pass/fail thing. If you passed, that's all that matters.

OP
OP
I

Infinity

Forum Crew Member
yeah good because i certainly didnt feel like bragging about my c average(8 ... i was told i should put an objective part on my resume but since we both know i am in no way experienced should i just say i am willing, able and will always preform within my scope of practice?

OP
OP
I

Infinity

Forum Crew Member
wow thank you!!! this site is super super informational!!! seriously fixed about every mistake ive made thus far.

BLS

Forum Ride Along
Don't worry too much for the resume. I had no experience in EMS before, and just after 6 months out of school got hired. What really matters is passing the physical, written, and practical test.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Like DEmedic says "we all got to start somewhere" for my EMT job I had no previous work experience. All that matters is how good you do on the written test, oral interview, skills/practical, field training, etc. If you want a good formatted resumé try google or a template on a word program on your computer.

NomadicMedic

My objective is to work for an EMS agency that places an emphasis on compassion, education and excellent customer service. I wish to employ my professional, educational and personal skills and to be given the opportunity to challenge my abilities and my experience to the fullest.

How's that?

(That's what I get for posting on my phone...)

Wes

Forum Lieutenant
I would worry much more about grammar, capitalization, spelling, and punctuation than eloquence. :unsure:

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
DEmedic covered it nicely. When doing these things it can be useful to write things out in bullet point then put it in paragraph form.

- Work for an EMS agency
- compassionate work environment
- commitment to education
- commitment/passion for customer service
- desire for professionalism
- desire to broaden experience and skills.
- and so on...

if you need more, consider spinning your work with special needs children as your inspiration for becoming an EMT and working in EMS.

Try to get letters of recommendation from previous bosses. If I was sitting on an interview panel, a good letter of rec from my boss at the childcare facility detailing my work ethic and talent for working with special needs kids would go a long way.

remember...it's an EMT position. It's entry level, you're not supposed to have experience.

OP
OP
I

Infinity

Forum Crew Member
Obtain an EMT career and provide quality patient care in emergent and non- emergent situations.

is that horrible? it seems so bland!!!

i also appreciate all the help! you guys are seriously awesome!!

NomadicMedic

Aside from calling the position as an EMT a career, it's fine. :)

(Saying you want a "career as an EMT" is like saying you want a career as a fry-o-lator operator at a fast food restaurant.)

OP
OP
I

Infinity

Forum Crew Member
Aside from calling the position as an EMT a career, it's fine. :)

(Saying you want a "career as an EMT" is like saying you want a career as a fry-o-lator operator at a fast food restaurant.)

so i should say what...i want to work for a specific company?