Newb Has A Licensing Question

FutureLifeSaver

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone,

Great site here! My name is Kelly, and I'm 20 years old living in Northern California. I'm looking into taking the EMT class over summer or in the fall, and was wondering if anyone could help me out with something.

If I get my EMT license in the state of California, but move to another State (i.e. Oregon or Washington, spefically), would I have to take the entire class over again as well as the test?

Thanks for your help, and I'm looking forward to reading all the good stuff on here!!

:)

Kelly

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
The state(s) you're looking to go to should have a web site with what you're looking for or at the very least a phone #. Call and ask those who do the reciprocity thing every day.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Good luck with your class.

It depends on the state you're moving to, but if I you get your NREMT-B transferring your certificate to another state should be a breeze.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
first welcom to the board. once you play around here for a while and especially when you get your ticket and ask a question, you'll find that the most common answer to every question is: IT DEPENDS!

it depends on what state your coming from, and what state your going to. it depends if the state your transferring to even recognizes your current level(i.e. i just learned on another thread that TN doesnt recognize the basic level at all). being nat. reg. does make it easier, but not universally so. some states dont recognize the registry. in that case, you'll have to challange based on out fo state licensure. so you'll have to take the written and practical again. in ma, you get one shot at each. then you'd have to repeat the course with an accredited school. some states will take your out of state ticket, but you will have to do an add on course. for example, going from ma to ri, you have to take a course that covers sub q epi, eoa and a few othe rthing i think.

so, while it is possible to go from state to state, IT DEPENDS on the circumstance.

JPINFV

Gadfly
It's also important to note that California's EMT-B exam is the National Registry exam. For your initial certification (not reciprocity) you have to be NREMT-B certified. At least in Southern California (Orange County, and I also believe LA County), you can drop the NREMT-B cert and just renew through your county EMS agency. If you're planning on moving, make sure to keep your NREMT-B cert active [spread out that 48 hours of CMEs or take some college courses] and that should assist gaining reciprocity.

Links for Oregon:
http://egov.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/ems/certific/testing.shtml [they use NREMT tests for EMT-B and EMT-P certification tests. EMT-P requires an associates degree]

http://egov.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/ems/certific/recip.shtml [link to request a reciprocity packet]

Washington:

http://www.doh.wa.gov/hsqa/emstrauma/download/blsrecip.pdf [PDF covering their reciprocity system. It honestly looks like a pain though]

OP
OP
F

FutureLifeSaver

Forum Ride Along
:)

Thank you so much for all the help! And especially for those links.

I'm really excited to be taking the class later this year!!

Kelly